Stony Brook Accelerated BSN class of 2013

U.S.A. New York

Published

Hey all! Just wanted to lend my support to anyone else who is applying to SB next summer! It's a grueling process :-)):yeah:

Specializes in ICU / PCU / Telemetry / Oncology.
Thanks, Paco... I have been following your posts throughout but rarely post on my own. My best friend was admitted into the accelerated program, class of 2010. She always says the same thing but of course there is self doubt!! I guess cracking away at that essay starting now would be helpful! Was your undergrad degree in the sciences?

That and getting some stellar recommendations helps too! I think those are your two strongest parts of the application.

No, I was a psych major. I started out in bio and ended up switching majors due to laziness to study hard science (stupid things you do at 18, lol). Later on, it became much more easier for me to buckle down to study science during prereqs.

Kace- paco is right I know of ppl that got in without a 4.0...I got accepted into the bsn for fall I have a 4.0 gpa but I did a lot of volunteer work as well as worked extremely hard on my paper...I also made sure I got stellar reccomendations..it rlly is a grueling process I thought I was loosing my mind at the end lol

Ugh, Paco, I did the same thing. Problem was, I was attending an out of state "state school" at a remarkably high tuition price and didn't want to pursue a degree that would take me longer to achieve. I always had a love for medicine but was plagued by the fear of rejection. I started studying the "pre-reqs" about 3 years ago and have been plugging away at them at the rate my wallet and brain can afford. All finished now, I am retaking two of three courses I do not have A's in... one this summer, one in the fall. The third will have to be a "risk" I take, as my schedule can only fit so much!! What was your psych undergrad gpa? I found the "less-definitive" sciences (psych, sociology, etc.) much harder to wrap my head around than say, anatomy... therefore, mine was a 3.11. I am working to revamp my essay this summer before the app even opens and line up the best reco's. I have experience, volunteer work... I am at my wits end.

Ugh, Paco, I did the same thing. Problem was, I was attending an out of state "state school" at a remarkably high tuition price and didn't want to pursue a degree that would take me longer to achieve. I always had a love for medicine but was plagued by the fear of rejection. I started studying the "pre-reqs" about 3 years ago and have been plugging away at them at the rate my wallet and brain can afford. All finished now, I am retaking two of three courses I do not have A's in... one this summer, one in the fall. The third will have to be a "risk" I take, as my schedule can only fit so much!! What was your psych undergrad gpa? I found the "less-definitive" sciences (psych, sociology, etc.) much harder to wrap my head around than say, anatomy... therefore, mine was a 3.11. I am working to revamp my essay this summer before the app even opens and line up the best reco's. I have experience, volunteer work... I am at my wits end.

Your GPA is fine, and you seem to be going about everything else well. Unfortunately that's as far as I can gauge your ability to be a competitive candidate. Like I said before, I have no idea what they do behind closed doors. Focus on your essay and recommendations more than on what grades you already got. Hopefully you're not retaking courses in which you got B's ... that's a very respectable grade, paying more money to try to make them A's is not worth the trouble.

BTW, you do know that some prereqs were added to the list starting with the next application period, right? I think developmental psych and statistics are now required in addition to the sciences.

When does the ABSN start again?

hiiiiiii m new member...... i got into 1yr prog frm alternate list.... see u all der...

Congrats!!! Hopefully, I will get a chance to see you there :)

I heard orientation is Tues June 26 to Fri June 29 and summer session classes begin Mon July 2nd.

Hello!! I recently got off the alternate list too! I was wondering if anyone like me has gotten any other correspondence other than the acceptance letter and e-mail ?

I also got off the alternate list last thursday. I received the e-mail, the letter of acceptance and just something from financial aid. I'm a little concerned because I accepted the offer and paid the tuition deposit but Solar is still showing it as not paid. It has been processed by my bank already so I'm a little concerned. Has this happened to you or anyone else?

Can't wait to meet all of you!

I think i feel just like you do!! It's saying the same thing on my account as not paid :-s when i called bursar they say it's paid ... Plus all the other students have gotten registration packets etc but these were the ones who were admitted since the start ... I don't even know where i'm gonna live yet :-(

Yup, I just called Bursar and they said it was paid. I'm still nervous though! I called the School of Nursing and spoke to a very kind lady about what else I need to do. She congratulated me and said not to worry, I will be getting information about orientation in the mail and to prepare myself for June 26th-29th. Have you started your admission documentation checklist yet? I had no idea we need to get so I just did that.

What about living on campus?

+ Add a Comment