Winston Salem State University

U.S.A. North Carolina

Published

Has anyone done their rn-->bsn program? Looking into it and wondered if it was good or not

The ECU option is intriguing. Thanks for the info!

Specializes in ICU Neuro.
I am looking at the accelerated program through WSSU as well. So far I'm getting the impression that they might not be as organized or as interested in speaking with potential students as UNC/CH or Emory, for example. I had appointments to speak with people at those schools within a week of my inquiry. At WSSU they are offering me an appointment 4 weeks down the road.

I am moving back to NC this summer and am trying to decide between Durham (Duke or UNC/CH options) or Winston-Salem (anything other than WSSU??? anyone knows of?)

Either way I go, I'll have 2 semesters of the pre-reqs to complete at the community college. As a 45 yr old I would like to choose a city where I think I could potentially stay and call home, and make it work rather than considering moving again in another year. I love everything about W-S except for the reservations I currently have about WSSU. Like the school options in Durham, but not the cost of living (for UNC at least.)

How many students DO apply to the WSSU program? Is it ridiculously difficult to get into?

If you have a high previous GPA say 3.3 or higher, you should look into UNC Greensboro's nursing program. I just graduated. It is an excellent school. In fact, it was one of the three schools selected nationally by the National League of Nursing as a center of nursing education excellence.

The school is small enough for a personal touch and large enough to have resourses. UNCG graduates are highly regarded and sought after by all the area hospitals. In short, we have an excellent local, state and national reputation. UNCG has an average NCLEX 1st test pass rate around 92% and 100% pass rate for the 8% who took it the 2nd time. Just for reference, UNCG averages graduating about 90 students. So 7 out of 90 not passing the first time isn't to bad.

That being said, admissions is tough. It depends mostly on GPA, and then on a pre-nursing class with lab that is used as a semester long interview. If your GPA is less than 3.0 lifetime, there is no reason to even apply. If you want a realistic chance of getting in, then 3.5 is the real goal.If you do poorly in NUR210/220 or get a bad reference from clinical faculty you will not get in. Also, grades in classes like biology, chemistry, micro, and A&P need to be high, straight A's if possible.

Hope all the info helps...

Thanks for the info. I graduated from UNC/G's school of Home Ec back in '85. GPA for that portion of my undergrad degree was 3.76, but my first two years of general college didn't go as well! I'm aiming for all A's for my pre-reqs. One of the reasons I passed by the UNCG nursing program is because of that required pre-req nursing course. I saw that as adding even more time to the calendar for completion. I'm having to re-establish in-state tuition status, so would prefer to take all the pre-reqs in the community college system to save on costs. SO GLAD that UNC/G has moved away from those mustard yellow nursing student uniforms! That alone would have been enough for me to dismiss that program! :chuckle Have decided to move to W/S, but will attempt to complete pre-reqs for severla NC programs and go from there.

Specializes in Neurovascular/Stroke Nurse.

I think with any nursing program, you'll have your share of disorganizatioin. In support of WSSU, we're one of 3 4-year institutions, not to mention the large number of community colleges that graduate ADNs and they all receive their clinical training at WFUBMC and FMC in Winston Salem at some point. To that end, WSSU has to juggle scheduling issues with those facilities and the other schools to ensure that their students get what they need to satisfy NCBON. For example, FMC mandates that only a certain number of student nurses can be on a unit at any given time. On the days that we went to pick up our clinical asignment for Adult Health I, we had to go in pairs because the ADN students were in clinical and anymore students on the floor would be violating that policy and the school would be penalized.

As of today, July 2, 2008, WSSU has a 100% pass rate. That includes the ABSN, December '07 grads and the handful of May '08 grads that have already sat for the NCLEX. I would venture to say that a few instances of 'disorganization' is an equal trade for receiving a exceptional nursing education.

I have worked with some WSSU nursing students.........they struggled through the program to begin with- unorganized. Plus, WSSU is very well known as the "blackhole" of transcripts. My good friend ended up sending her transcripts there about 3 times. Finally, the local community college transcript office sent them "return receipt" through the mail.

Thanks for comments. I believe that the success of the WSSU graduates proves that it is worth dealing with a little disorganization. I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in finding them disorganized. I tend to take things like that as signs that maybe I should try another direction, but knowing that it's not just me keeps them top of my list for schools! I'm moving to WS at the end of the month and will be starting at FTCC in August to get my pre-req work started. I'm very excited to moving forward on this journey!

Specializes in Step-down ICU.

I know several people who have completed WSSU's RN-BSN program. As someone else has mentioned, I have heard they are a bit disorganized. One of the guy's in my nursing class, his wife finished there in last December and he said that once they had to drive to Winston to speak with someone at the school because getting them on the phone was nearly impossible. He also mentioned that they are much better in person than on the phone. A few of the CRNAs I work with have also finished at Winston Salem. From what they have told me the program is a piece of cake. You meet once a week, and there are no tests! If you attend the satellite campus(I think at RCCC in Salisbury) then you are only paying the community college prices. Which is another "perk" in my opinion. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Specializes in Chiropractic assistant, CNA in LTC, RN.

WSSU also requires a english literature class and a class called "African American Culture". Many communities colleges are offering their own version of this class that will transfer to WSSU.

I went to WSSU for a short time working on a computer science degree and they weren't really unorganized, just rather "relaxed", shall we say. No one got in a hurry to do anything. It apparently has an excellent nursing program, however. I've heard very good things about it. They offer their transfer degree thru various community colleges and hospitals in the area.

I am considering applying to WSSU's accelerated program. How difficult is it to gain admission into the program?

Is an interview required? I received an application packet from the program director, but it does not mention this.

Specializes in Chiropractic assistant, CNA in LTC, RN.

When I considered the program a few years ago, an interview was required and admission was quite competitive because they only accept about 45 people each January.

Babynurse07, I was hoping to PM you(when I sent the friend request), but I guess my membership won't allow private messages. I hope you can read this. I am strongly considering the ABSN program at WSSU, but I am so scared of it being so fast that I can't keep up. Please let me know if there are certain requirements or conditions for success. I have a family to think about and that's what unnerves me. I don't know if I'll be able to juggle the two and do well. Thanks for your time!

I finished the program in Feb 08. Many people including myself had families. It is hectic but definitely doable. Time management is important. You can do it!!!!

+ Add a Comment