Quick Question...

Specialties Camp

Published

Hello Everyone!

I think I posted this question a long time ago...but I can't seem to find it...

I curious to know how you all manage to get time off from your regular jobs to do camp nursing. I'm assuming that the usual appointment would be for the whole summer...maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance on any insight you can provide! :D

~Bean

Heh Bean:

Time off was such a commodity; one that should be negotiated with the contract and spelled out in the contract. ;)

Time off during my 30 day commitment was for 1 day each week starting the 2nd week after start of camp. In other words, I had 3 days off for the month taking one day a week. They were not 24 hour days off (which I did not like :rolleyes: ) they were started after breakfast and ended at midnight.

Other times were negotaited at the discression (or indiscression) of the camp nurse in charge. So... every time I wanted to take a walk, visit an activity, etc.. I had to ask. :rolleyes:

;)

I work as a Cardiac Nurse on a Telemetry Unit. I get time off by taking a leave of absence. I have so much senority - I'm able to do that.

I also take a leave of absence. There are some hospitals that have 9 month contracts and some that have a summer program LOA. In florida this is our slow season so a lot of the hospitals are more than happy to grant the LOA and the nurses are happy because they are not getting sent home as much due to low pt volume and to many nurses. You have to meet with HR and see what is available. I do a 8 week camp.

Hmmm...this in interesting to know...especially since DH and I are thinking of moving to Florida a few years after I get my RN!...Thanks!!

Specializes in Camp/LTC/School/Hospital.

Well this year it is easier, since I am a school nurse, I am off for the summer. The last two years, I just gave two weeks notice, and found a new job when I returned. I was at a emotinal point in my life that I just had to take the risk. I too live in FL. but will spend another great summer in NJ camp nursing! As a said before, Be true to Yourself!!

Specializes in Pediatrics.

I work per-diem at a few different places, so I decided to try it this year. This will be my first camp year, and I'm only going for a week. The camp I'm going to hires nurses for 1-2 weeks, their campers are there for the same (we start and finish together). The pay is lousy, but my four year old gets to go for free. I don't know if she could handle >1wk, and I couldn't afford it, because I don't get paid days from work. :p

+ Add a Comment