Excelsior College School of Nursing | 77% NCLEX Pass Rates
You can realize your nursing potential at Excelsior College of Nursing. Excelsior's online nursing programs are designed for highly motivated individuals who are ready for new challenges as professional Registered Nurses.
Avg Rating: 3.8
NCLEX Pass Rates
Programs RN-to-MSN, RN-to-BSN, BSN, MSN, ASN/ADN, Other
Location Albany, NY
Website URL Visit Website
In 1971, Excelsior College was founded by the New York State Board of Regents. Before the name Excelsior College, it was Regents College.
The Board of Regents, in 1998, granted the College a charter to operate as a private, nonprofit, independent institution. On January 1, 2001, Regents College changed its name to Excelsior College.
About Excelsior Nursing Programs
Our nursing degree programs are designed specifically for individuals with experience in clinical health care related disciplines.
Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN) and Associate of Applied Science in Nursing
The Excelsior College School of Nursing offers an Associate of Science in Nursing program for healthcare professionals who would like to become a Registered Nurse (RN). This program is an exam based program ideal for those who have experience as an LPNs, LVNs, paramedics, or military corpsmen.
Required Documentation for Admission (not all inclusive)
- TEAS score report from ATI completed no more than one year prior to the date of your application.
- Completed Verification of Healthcare Experience form including your supervisor's signature.
- Must be employed in a setting that requires direct patient care and completed at least 200 hours of employment in this practice setting within the calendar year prior to signing this form.
- A copy of a current license or certification to verify professional status in an appropriate health care profession.
- If you reside in a state with additional licensure requirements you must complete and submit a Pre-Admission State Board Form. This form includes an acknowledgement that you understand the additional requirements for the state where you currently reside and/or where you plan to apply for RN licensure.
The associate-degree level program at Excelsior is a competency-based program for those who are learning at a distance. The students are prohibited from performing many clinical activities at their place of employment. However, students who are on campus are able to engage at their place of employment because they are covered under an exempt clause in the Nurse Practice Act. This clause allows them to perform patient care under faculty supervision. The only time students who do not hold a registered nurse license are able to perform patient care is during the actual administration of the Clinical Performance in Nursing Examination. Therefore, if the student holds an RN license and are advancing their studies to pursue bachelor's or master's degrees in nursing at Excelsior College they may work within the scope of their license while engaging in educational endeavors.
Students who do not have healthcare experience under the admission requirements are advised to attend an instructional program to gather hands on demonstration. There is no clinical instruction in any of the Excelsior nursing programs.
The RN-BSN degree at Excelsior College is flexible for the current Registered nurse to advance his or her studies to the bachelor’s degree.
To be eligible, the nurse much hold a current and active U.S. RN license or the international equivalent as verified by the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools.
RN to Master of Science in Nursing
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing (Nursing Leadership and Administration of Health Care Systems)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing (Nursing Education)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing (Nursing Informatics)
The RN to MSN program is for students who want to excel at their studies at an advanced degree level. The three tracks, Nursing leadership and Administration of Healthcare Systems, Nursing education, and Nursing Informatics are available. The student will be awarded both degrees at the completion of the program.
Accreditation and Designation
Excelsior College is accredited through the year 2022 by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
The associate, bachelor's, and master's degree programs in nursing at Excelsior College are accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
The National League for Nursing (NLN) designated Excelsior College's School of Nursing a 2016-2021 Center of Excellence in Nursing Education, for the fourth consecutive time, in recognition of the School's sustained achievements in creating environments that promote student learning and professional development.