Jump to content

Excelsior Paramedic track ADN-RN

Excelsior   (1,473 Views | 10 Replies)

pararn2b is a EMT-P and specializes in Critical Care.

340 Profile Views; 9 Posts

Hey y'all. I just got into the RN program after passing my TEAS. I am thrilled to start!

Are there any other Paramedics out there that have or are currently doing the online program? I'd love to hear how you felt it went overall, especially with the CPNE.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 Posts; 67 Profile Views

I just started the process of enrolling. How do you like the program so far?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pararn2b is a EMT-P and specializes in Critical Care.

9 Posts; 340 Profile Views

20 minutes ago, NRPboston said:

I just started the process of enrolling. How do you like the program so far?

Oh boy. I've connected with quite a few medics in the program, and we all typically have the same problems. Nursing is completely different than emergency medicine. While A&P and experience may help you understand concepts, it won't help you as a Nurse, for better or worse.

Those of us who have connected have the same complaints:

  1. It's all self directed even with the online classes. Those of us who are visual learners suffer greatly.
  2. For the ECE exams you can cram and finish a lot of them quickly, but you don't really learn much of anything.
  3. The provided materials are not adequate for the online classes. Expecting us to sit down and read 1,000 pages per week along with a discussion post and reply (which is only worth 20% of the grade by the way) is ludicrous, but that's what they expect.
  4. The test questions are designed to trick you. Look for key words (like the NREMT) such as "first" or "priority." EC makes a fortune with their nursing ADN and the more times they can charge you for the classes or exams the better.
  5. Nursing seems sort of silly once you get to the point where everything clicks, as compared to being a paramedic. If you've ever worked a busy system and done 10+ IVs a day, and 1-2 critical interventions per shift, you'll know what I mean. Nursing is all about following Dr orders, providing supportive care, and educating the patient. There's very little independent thought that goes into being an RN to be honest.
  6. Hardly any of this is what you're used to doing. Stop thinking like a medic and pretend you aren't a medic at all if you can. It won't help you much at all. Your instructor, classmates, and exams don't care.

If you can find a way to get through the classes or exams, it can lead you down a path to getting your RN. I've decided after getting through my 100 level classes not pursue nursing outside of informatics. I'm going to find a cushy office job away from patient care. Perhaps work a shift here and there in the ER and do some teaching.

Feel free to ask any other questions or ask me to clarify something, I'm happy to help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snatchedwig has 12 years experience as a ADN, CNA, LPN, RN and specializes in Medsurg.

2 Followers; 359 Posts; 2,853 Profile Views

5 minutes ago, pararn said:

Oh boy. I've connected with quite a few medics in the program, and we all typically have the same problems. Nursing is completely different than emergency medicine. While A&P and experience may help you understand concepts, it won't help you as a Nurse, for better or worse.

Those of us who have connected have the same complaints:

  1. It's all self directed even with the online classes. Those of us who are visual learners suffer greatly.
  2. For the ECE exams you can cram and finish a lot of them quickly, but you don't really learn much of anything.
  3. The provided materials are not adequate for the online classes. Expecting us to sit down and read 1,000 pages per week along with a discussion post and reply (which is only worth 20% of the grade by the way) is ludicrous, but that's what they expect.
  4. The test questions are designed to trick you. Look for key words (like the NREMT) such as "first" or "priority." EC makes a fortune with their nursing ADN and the more times they can charge you for the classes or exams the better.
  5. Nursing seems sort of silly once you get to the point where everything clicks, as compared to being a paramedic. If you've ever worked a busy system and done 10+ IVs a day, and 1-2 critical interventions per shift, you'll know what I mean. Nursing is all about following Dr orders, providing supportive care, and educating the patient. There's very little independent thought that goes into being an RN to be honest.
  6. Hardly any of this is what you're used to doing. Stop thinking like a medic and pretend you aren't a medic at all if you can. It won't help you much at all. Your instructor, classmates, and exams don't care.

If you can find a way to get through the classes or exams, it can lead you down a path to getting your RN. I've decided after getting through my 100 level classes not pursue nursing outside of informatics. I'm going to find a cushy office job away from patient care. Perhaps work a shift here and there in the ER and do some teaching.

Feel free to ask any other questions or ask me to clarify something, I'm happy to help.

That's so condescending it's ridiculous.   If and when you graduate nursing school, pass the NCLEX and start working as a RN is when you can actually speak about what we do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pararn2b is a EMT-P and specializes in Critical Care.

9 Posts; 340 Profile Views

Just now, Snatchedwig said:

That's so condescending it's ridiculous.   If and when you graduate nursing school, pass the NCLEX and start working as a RN is when you can actually speak about what we do.  

Calm down. That's what the program has taught me so far, and several others have expressed that as well.

Go find something else to be outraged over and quit wasting my time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 Posts; 67 Profile Views

Thank you for the feedback!

1) Did you take the pre-requ courses via uexcels or your local CC? (micro, developmental psych, a&p)? I'm trying to figure out the quickest way to get to the actual nursing portion of the program.

2) When you started taking the initial nursing exams, did you register for the exams beforehand to force yourself into a deadline? How quickly can you progress through the program if you're focused and actually try to retain the information?

3) Have you been using third party vendors for your study material?

 

Edited by NRPboston

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pararn2b is a EMT-P and specializes in Critical Care.

9 Posts; 340 Profile Views

1 minute ago, NRPboston said:

Thank you for the feedback!

1) Did you take the pre-requ courses via uexcels or your local CC? (micro, developmental psych, a&p)? I'm trying to figure out the quickest way to get to the actual nursing portion of the program.

2) When you started taking the initial nursing exams, did you register for the exams beforehand to force yourself into a deadline? How quickly can you progress through the program if you're focused and actually try to retain the information?

3) Have you been using third party vendors for your study material?

 

I took a few all over. I don't remember which I took where, but I did Micro and A&P via uexcel, dev psych and math via EC online courses (8 week) and a couple with Straighterline I believe.

I registered well ahead for the ECEs. You get a 16 week testing window (a trimester) which is a lot of time. Give yourself 4+ weeks for each to study and really know the material. Watch some videos by Sarah at RegisterednurseRN, they help brush you up on key information. If you join facebook groups there are a few students who are able to complete their 8 core classes in crazy amounts of time, sometimes 1 or 2 trimesters. Then they register for the FCCA, and await CPNE which is reducing in wait time. I guess theoretically you could get out and NCLEX tested in just over a year.

As for study material everyone recommends SG101, which I did not enjoy. It's choppy, difficult to follow, and dry as pumice stone. But I'd suggest grabbing it anyway because it's not that expensive and may help you.

What I DO suggest is downloading an app like NRSNG or NCLEX review to learn how to answer questions and think like a nurse. Don't go into it memorizing the question - you won't be successful. Instead break the question down piece by piece and answer based on what they're looking for. If you go for the ol' memorize question trick we as paramedics love so much, you will be disappointed and lost when you take the actual final or exam. They have a HUGE test bank and you'll never see them in it (if they are even there at all to begin with)

This is NOT an easy program for most people. There are exceptions to the rule, but everyone has a difficult class or two somewhere. We all have strengths and weaknesses, so try to find some study buddies who fill in the gaps for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snatchedwig has 12 years experience as a ADN, CNA, LPN, RN and specializes in Medsurg.

2 Followers; 359 Posts; 2,853 Profile Views

3 hours ago, pararn said:

Calm down. That's what the program has taught me so far, and several others have expressed that as well.

Go find something else to be outraged over and quit wasting my time.

Promise to post when you pass the nclex?  Pretty please 😎. Also it's against our rules to have RN in your name until you actually passed the boards. 

Edited by Snatchedwig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 Posts; 67 Profile Views

What are the Facebook groups called? I’d would like to link up with other medics to bounce ideas off and get advice from as I move through the program

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snatchedwig has 12 years experience as a ADN, CNA, LPN, RN and specializes in Medsurg.

2 Followers; 359 Posts; 2,853 Profile Views

Just now, NRPboston said:

What are the Facebook groups called? I’d would like to link up with other medics to bounce ideas off and get advice from as I move through the program

Pm me privately I can send you a bunch of notes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pararn2b is a EMT-P and specializes in Critical Care.

9 Posts; 340 Profile Views

On 8/16/2019 at 4:40 PM, Snatchedwig said:

Promise to post when you pass the nclex?  Pretty please 😎. Also it's against our rules to have RN in your name until you actually passed the boards. 

Cpne eligible.

Thank you for the love and support. I'll be an RN soon.

Edited by pararn2b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.