I'm a labor and delivery/ post partum nurse with 1 year of floor experience with my BSN. I'm considering joining the Air Force Reserves vs active - as a commissioned officer, and wanted to get some insight from those with some experience in this area. I have a husband and two kids. My husband has been in the national guard for 13 years. He is still in. He’s deployed 3 times with his unit. we live in Illinois but I’m willing to travel for my drills and AT
-Is there any bonus for joining?
-Student loan repayment?
-will they pay for me to continue my education and get my masters?
-can I volunteer for deployments?
- is there a lot of room for promotion in the Air Force reserves?
- who should I talk to about joining?
- if I decide to do active duty will I have to move ?
- will i have to live on base?
- what kind of things will I have to send the recruiter? As far as documents?
- is there anything medical that will for sure disqualify me?
I really appreciate any advice you all may have and look forward to hearing your responses. I also appreciate any other input you may have including why you like/dislike military nursing, if you're happy with your choice to join, or anything else you think may be helpful as I make this huge decision.
Thank you so much!