Cystic Fibrosis in egg donation

  1. I am an egg donor and I am currently in the beginning stages of the cycle. I just got my blood test results back and it shows that I am a carrier of the Cystic Fibrosis gene. I'm just wondering how this will affect my ability to donate my eggs. I'm assuming that if the reciepients husband is not a carrier than the future child will be fine, right? I'm not to sure how this gene thing works. If the husband is a carrier and I am a carrier, than the child has a 50/50 chance of getting the disease?????

    I'm a little nervous about all of this now. I don't want to bring a child into this world that is sick.

    I told my husband to get tested because we have a 2 year old son. I want to make sure my own child is healthy as well.
    •  
  2. Visit cokegal19 profile page

    About cokegal19

    Joined: Dec '03; Posts: 29
    Manager, stats department

    8 Comments

  3. by   BJNurse
    Cystic Fibrosis is a recessive gene so if the father is not a carrier the child will not have cystic fibrosis but will have a 50% chance of being a carrier themselves (anyone correct me if I'm wrong since it's been a long time since biology 101) . If the father is also a carrier then the child has a 25% chance of having CF and a 50% chance of being a carrier of the gene. It is definatley something that the father will want to get tested for. If he is not a carrier the child should still be aware that he/she might be a carrier which will be important when it comes time for that child to have children (I hope by then they will have found a cure!) I lost my first husband to cystic fibrosis at 25yrs old, it is a awful disease! Good luck.
  4. by   rpbear
    BJnurse said it perfectly. I have a nephew with CF who is 2 and is doing very well. Early detection and treatment are key.

    I wouldn't worry about your 2 year old son, if he had CF you would have seen something by now. But your Hubby may want to get tested if you want to have more kids, you have a 75% chance of a healthy kid and 25% chance of a kid with CF if he is positive.

    Good luck with everything!
  5. by   live4today
    I would not donate my eggs if I were told they were genetically predisposed to passing on anything that would affect the life of someone else's child.

    If I were told that I was receiving a donor egg from a woman who was a carrier of a genetic disease that could be passed on to the child, I would reject the donor egg.
  6. by   imenid37
    Your son is probably fine. BUT you should go ahead and have testing done that is reccomended by your son's PCP. My daughter has a friend who sufferred persistent bouts of "asthma and allergies" for much of her life. At age 13, she was diagnosed w/ CF. It is a mild case, but nontheless, she is doing much better and would have done even better if diagnosis and treatment had been started earlier.
  7. by   jeepgirl
    There have been cases of grown adults who have been infertile and battled respiratory diseases for their lives... and have had very very mild CF. I would test him if it were my child.
  8. by   Loubell RN 2B
    My personal opinion would be to not donate your eggs but even if you decide to go ahead with it, the physician would (should) have to disclose that the eggs were CF gene positive. After hearing this, I am sure that someone would think twice before assuming longterm responsibility for passing this gene on. The reason I say this, is that, I had a brother pass away 6 years ago at the age of 27. He had some good years but most of his years were spent in the hopsital and very sick. I would not wish this disease on my worst enemy. If the gene continues to get passed on, and so forth, there is a likely chance that someone will end up married to someone with the gene as well. Then in turn, they will have to sit down together and make some pretty rough decisions, and that is it they even know that they have the gene.

    Good luck with your decision and I do think that it is a wonderful gesture that you are doing but please think long and hard.

    Lynda in VA
  9. by   renerian
    For me in myself, I would not donate........were that my case.

    renerian
  10. by   naggytabby
    Without going into a long story- it is rare but a child can have CF and it may not be diagnosed correctly. One of my friends has a daughter with CF thatw as not correctly diagnosed until she was almost 3. It was affecting her digestive system more than her lungs (and she was going to a huge top ranked university hospital). So..IF a toddler is having problems that don't have an answer, consider it (if appopriate) a possibility, unless you know your genetic self.

    GOOD LUCK with your egg donation- you're giving a family a tremendous gift

close