Jump to content

New graduate nurse, new job, HELP

I'm a new graduate nurse and am moving to Louisiana which has a poor health care quality. I'm excited because I got into the specialty I wanted (pediatric ED). Many students in my nursing school chose to stay in the area because the hospital quality is great (CT and MA). I have no desire to stay right now and really just want to experience something new. However, I am worried that if I ever chose to move back to MA I would have trouble getting a job at a hospital because the hospital quality isn't as great in LA, has anyone experienced an issue getting a nursing job based on previous hospital experience? I don't want to hinder my education as a new nurse or future opportunities.

I think the Louisiana nurses here might take umbrage to your notion that the quality of health care in their state is sub-standard.

OldDude specializes in Pediatrics.

I'll bet hospitals in Louisiana would disagree with you!! I think you're reading too much into what you are concerned about. I started as a GN in a pediatric ER. The critical thinking skills, independence, and confidence I gained during that time has been invaluable to me...go for it - and congratulations for enduring nursing school!

OldDude specializes in Pediatrics.

2 minutes ago, Wuzzie said:

I think the Louisiana nurses here might take umbrage to your notion that the quality of health care in their state is sub-standard.

HAHA - we were saying the same thing at the same time!!

OldDude specializes in Pediatrics.

Oh yea, of course you'll need to learn to eat fried gator tail, shrimp gumbo, boudin, and raw oysters, and become a New Orleans Saints fan or they'll kick you out of the state.

OldDude specializes in Pediatrics.

7 minutes ago, Wuzzie said:

Geaux Tigers!

I bet those Tigers are looking to settle a grudge with A&M next year...I'm not gonna miss that one!

OH yea, smiles and medicine, Louisiana loves their football. Just ask Terry Bradshaw or Phil Robertson.

Welcome to AN!!

@Wuzzie @OldDude Thank you! I am NOT trying to belittle the nurses there at all or question their experience or education. I just have never been outside of the northeast and when I told people where I was moving I got a lot of mixed responses (which made me a little upset). I am very honored and excited to have gotten this job and I'm sure it will be an amazing experience. I've just been reading into the public health statistics and state ratings of quality of care (which I probably shouldn't read into) just nervous for the move I think. But very excited thank you again.

CelticGoddess specializes in Palliative, Onc, Med-Surg, Home Hospice.

38 minutes ago, OldDude said:

I bet those Tigers are looking to settle a grudge with A&M next year...I'm not gonna miss that one!

OH yea, smiles and medicine, Louisiana loves their football. Just ask Terry Bradshaw or Phil Robertson.

Welcome to AN!!

I love Terry Bradshaw! Part of the Steele Curtain. Go Stillers!

Learn to love these and yes you gotta suck da head.

crawfish.jpg

Edited by Wuzzie

LibraNurse27 specializes in Community Health, Med/Surg, ICU Stepdown.

I don't think nurses in certain states provide worse care than others but having worked in both Arkansas and California I know there are factors that influence the quality of care that patients get. Nurse/patient ratios, funding, poverty, the education system, access to care, food access and quality all affect health outcomes. It is really sad how huge the health discrepancies are. I think it will be a great experience to travel to a new area and learn the specific health challenges of that population. For me it greatly increased my knowledge and empathy. Congrats on getting a job in your dream specialty! good luck!

9 hours ago, smiles and medicine said:

@Wuzzie @OldDude Thank you! I am NOT trying to belittle the nurses there at all or question their experience or education. I just have never been outside of the northeast and when I told people where I was moving I got a lot of mixed responses (which made me a little upset). I am very honored and excited to have gotten this job and I'm sure it will be an amazing experience. I've just been reading into the public health statistics and state ratings of quality of care (which I probably shouldn't read into) just nervous for the move I think. But very excited thank you again.

Quite frankly the people you told who reacted negatively should be relieved that you’re bringing some high falutin’ NE culture to the poor, low-quality state of Louisiana.

Sarcasm aside, go into your new situation with an open mind and open heart, and embrace the culture. Bring back some wisdom for those who doubted you. Who knows, give it a chance and you might enjoy Louisiana so much you never bother going back to prove the doubters wrong.

PeakRN specializes in Adult and pediatric emergency and critical care.

Caveat: This statement is not about Louisiana in particular, in fact it could be made about many hospitals in many communities across the US and the world.

I'd say just keep in mind that just because a system does something a certain way doesn't necessarily mean it is the best. This can be from small rural hospitals to large academic centers who seem to have an approach of doing this the '[insert large center] way'.

TriciaJ specializes in Psych, Corrections, Med-Surg, Ambulatory.

There have been a lot of threads lately from students/new grads who express fear that accepting the "wrong job" out of school will somehow hinder their future career goals.

Where is this coming from? Are instructors promoting this particular fear? No one has ever held against me a previous place of employment. The longer and more varied (and transferable) the experience, the better.

Students/new grads: it doesn't matter where your first job is in terms of future employment. Look for a place that: 1. Will hire you 2. Will orient you 3. Will hopefully be supportive and not a toxic environment 4. Won't require a huge pain of a commute.

Wherever it is you will get valuable experience and learn valuable skills, which can only help you get your next job.

Feral.Cat.Herder specializes in Peds, MS, DIDD, Corrections, HH, LTC, School Nurse.

19 hours ago, OldDude said:

Oh yea, of course you'll need to learn to eat fried gator tail, shrimp gumbo, boudin, and raw oysters, and become a New Orleans Saints fan or they'll kick you out of the state.

And suck out Crawdad brains! 😁

On 5/15/2019 at 1:39 PM, Wuzzie said:

Learn to love these and yes you gotta suck da head.

crawfish.jpg

Ummm....pinch da tail too!

×

By using the site you agree to our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies.

OK