Question about taking boards

  1. When you are done with school and ready to take NCLEX, how does the application process go. I know what you have to do, but i guess what i mean is, do you fill out the application with the school and they send it for you, does the school provide the application or do you get it from the BON? Or do you ge the appliation and everythign yourself and send it yourself?
  2. Visit tookewlandy profile page

    About tookewlandy

    Joined: Jan '06; Posts: 749; Likes: 23
    High Acuity LTAC


  3. by   Born2bRN

    From my personal experience, my second to last lecture of nursing school was dedicated to the NCLEX. Our instructors handed out the state forms, as well as the NCLEX application for us to fill out. We were told that when we graduated, it would take a couple months for the school to send our graduate information to the BON to be processed.

    This is what I did. I graduated May 25th. Around May 12th when I got the paperwork, I filled out the state form, which requires you to get a 2x2 (passport pic). You also need to have it notarized. That's about $60-90, depending on your state.

    I then went to and created an account. I filled out my application online (Can also be done via mail or phone). Application fee is $200. While the state processed my information after graduation, things on my end were completed. I received my ATT appointment June 12th. So it took me approximately a month. Might be more depending on how fast your school sends over transcripts, degree, etc..., and how long the BON processes info.


  4. by   Imafloat
    Our school handed out all of the necessary applications the first week of our last quarter. We had to get a background check and fingerprinted ($50), Fill out State BON application ($75) and get it notarized, and then regiester at Pearson Vue to take NCLEX ($200). I got my ATT about 10 days after graduation and took my NCLEX less than 3 weeks after graduating. I passed and never have to take that test again (priceless).
  5. by   seasider
    and for everything else... there's Mastercard. Hehehe...
  6. by   tookewlandy
    So after your school passed out the necessary forms, did you handle everything yourself
  7. by   tx2007
    I just filled out all this stuff before Christmas break. Our school does everything for us. They had the fingerprint people come to our school and fingerprint us ($10), we had to get a 2X2 passport picture made and fill out the application and pay the $200 fee. Our school helped us fill out the application and sent in everything for us. I still have one semester left of school but we have to send everything in early so that as soon as we graduate we can get our ATT.
  8. by   tookewlandy
    Is it mandatory that the school does it for you or could you have done it yourself.

    Also if anyone has any experience with this--- My family packed up and moved to ohio, well im in PA and i wanted to move when i am done with school, can i just apply at the ohio BON for the NCLEX and all that or do i have to go through PA wait until i get licensed here, then wait until i can endorse to ohio so i can move??

    thanks for the replies
  9. by   EricJRN
    You can apply to whichever BON you like.
  10. by   Imafloat
    Quote from tookewlandy
    So after your school passed out the necessary forms, did you handle everything yourself
    Yes, they gave us a handout explaining where to send everything.
  11. by   onduty23
    i never knew we had to fingerprint ourself and send a picture

    i am in florida

    i think 150 license fee covers the background check
  12. by   tx2007
    yes our school made it mandatory to fill everything out with them, that way we basically couldn't screw it up. But you can apply for licensure in any state, for instance I am in TX and can take the test here but get my license from AZ since it is a NATIONAL test you can take the test in one state and if you know you will be moving to work in another get your license issued from there.