Jump to content

Jobs Before/During Nursing School

Job Assistance   (479 Views | 8 Replies)
by meme4 meme4 Member

113 Profile Views; 29 Posts

So, I’m currently a newborn hearing screener and have been so for nearly 2 years now for a very reputable children’s hospital in the Tampa Bay Area. I’ll be starting nursing school hopefully within the next year or even sooner. 

I’ve been applying to jobs that do not require licensures/certifications such as unit secretary, mental health techs, non-cert sterile processing techs, Anesthesia techs, even “nurse helpers” as the positions have been called (I don’t have a CNA, but I am BLS certified and will have a bachelors in health sciences with two concentrations in a couple of weeks). So far, no luck. Not even an offer for an interview. Besides my hearing screener experience, I worked at a hospital for almost two years as a radiology department secretary and patient transporter. My resume has been reviewed by professors, I’ve excelled in multiple applications and interviews for other positions including the one I have now.

What could I be doing wrong? I really want to gain some more nurse-related experience. With the circumstances surrounding COVID-19 I’m unable to get my CNA and I’m out of my second job, so when I start nursing school working PRN as a hearing screener just won’t be enough to support myself. 

Could anyone give me some advice on things to try or positions to apply for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

speedynurse is a RN, EMT-P and specializes in ER.

94 Posts; 360 Profile Views

It isn’t you - it’s that most facilities are on a hiring freeze right now. I never thought I would see the day that a nurse wasn’t even an essential employee in most departments, except for ER/ICU, but we are some of the few nurses that don’t seem to be furloughed right now.

Keep applying - try to apply to areas that are likely higher needs like the critical care areas. When you are able to, try to either get your CNA or EMT. It will open up jobs a lot more to you. 
 

Again, the job market simply isn’t the best right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 Posts; 113 Profile Views

On 5/2/2020 at 2:07 PM, speedynurse said:

It isn’t you - it’s that most facilities are on a hiring freeze right now. I never thought I would see the day that a nurse wasn’t even an essential employee in most departments, except for ER/ICU, but we are some of the few nurses that don’t seem to be furloughed right now.

Keep applying - try to apply to areas that are likely higher needs like the critical care areas. When you are able to, try to either get your CNA or EMT. It will open up jobs a lot more to you. 
 

Again, the job market simply isn’t the best right now.

Thank you so much for replying. This information helps so much! I’m not going to lie, the rejections were working on my self esteem. I’m going to continue to apply for positions and definitely get my CNA when I’m able to again. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

643 Posts; 11,111 Profile Views

I too suggest getting your CNA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 Posts; 113 Profile Views

56 minutes ago, db2xs said:

I too suggest getting your CNA.

I’m hoping testing centers will find a way to work with COVID-19 soon, I am so ready to get my CNA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

blueskiesandsunshine.prn specializes in BSN student.

28 Posts; 116 Profile Views

I am in the same position, except I don't have any hospital experience and I am applying for PCT, non cert pharmacy tech, nurse extern, etc positions. I've only completed one clinical course in nursing school thus far so I don't even have that going for me. So far--I have heard nothing. And I have applied to at least 30 different postings (literally, every last position I am qualified for in my area). I am chalking this up to COVID and am planning on challenging the CNA exam once this debacle passes. I think that will open up numerous other opportunities that I am not otherwise qualified for (I, too, have BLS as a basic requirement of my nursing program). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 Posts; 113 Profile Views

20 hours ago, blueskiesandsunshine.PRN said:

I am in the same position, except I don't have any hospital experience and I am applying for PCT, non cert pharmacy tech, nurse extern, etc positions. I've only completed one clinical course in nursing school thus far so I don't even have that going for me. So far--I have heard nothing. And I have applied to at least 30 different postings (literally, every last position I am qualified for in my area). I am chalking this up to COVID and am planning on challenging the CNA exam once this debacle passes. I think that will open up numerous other opportunities that I am not otherwise qualified for (I, too, have BLS as a basic requirement of my nursing program). 

COVID is definitely to blame for a lot of things at the moment LOL. I’ve seen some CNA/ER Tech/PCT positions that will hire you if you have completed either fundamentals of nursing 1 or fundamentals 1 & 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

blueskiesandsunshine.prn specializes in BSN student.

28 Posts; 116 Profile Views

Just now, meme4 said:

COVID is definitely to blame for a lot of things at the moment LOL. I’ve seen some CNA/ER Tech/PCT positions that will hire you if you have completed either fundamentals of nursing 1 or fundamentals 1 & 2. 

I just got ONE callback for an interview for a PCT position today (out of 20+ job apps).

I have completed fundamentals (my school doesn't do 1 and 2 LOL there's just one course).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 Posts; 113 Profile Views

1 hour ago, blueskiesandsunshine.PRN said:

I just got ONE callback for an interview for a PCT position today (out of 20+ job apps).

I have completed fundamentals (my school doesn't do 1 and 2 LOL there's just one course).

Yay good for you!

and oop, I’m probably wrong. I vaguely remember seeing a nursing student talk about fundamentals 2 or something like that on here, but honestly can’t remember for sure. Either way, so happy for and I hope everything goes well!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.