How to Pay for Tuberculosis and Hep B Vaccinations


Hi all,

I'm in the process of registering for a CNA program. The state requires that I have tuberculosis and Hep. B vaccinations. I'm unemployed and have no insurance. How do I go about getting them. Also, are they expensive?

Thank you.

morte, LPN, LVN

7,015 Posts

to my knowledge there is no vac for TB, what you need is a test to see if you have been exposed. Try your county health dept.

nurseprnRN, BSN, RN

2 Articles; 5,114 Posts

You will have to have insurance by 3/31, so that will be no excuse. Get started now; call your state health connector, the federal health connector, or a local independent insurance agent to get coverage.


87 Posts

Has 6 years experience.

Call your local Health Department like morte stated. Depending on your Health Department, they may be heavily reduced or free. I used to be the community health nurse for my local HD and we would have periods of free Hep B immunizations for first responders and medical affiliated students which were sponsored by certain state funds. Good Luck.


137 Posts

Has 3+ years experience.

I got my TB test at a local hospital for $10 each (needed 2 negatives). The health dept told me that they only do testing for exposures. The health dept also would not do my hep B for free. I paid $45 for each of the 3 in the series. I did get TDaP and MMR free through the health dept. Call around and see what's available in your area.

Missingyou, CNA

718 Posts

Specializes in Long term care. Has 20 years experience.

If you volunteer at a hospital/nursing home they are required to do the TB (also known as PPD skin test) test usually at no cost to you. Even if you commit to volunteering a few hours a week, it will look great on your resume too.

Hep B vaccinations are not required but strongly recommended. Once you start working in a facility, they will provide it for free.


23 Posts

Thanks, I've already looked into it.