Immunizations and blood titers?

  1. Does anyone have any tips on how or where I can get these done affordably? I'm not working right now, so don't have much money or health insurance. I had chicken pox as a kid, but I don't have any written documentation, so I have to get the adult varicella immunization series. In addition, my BSN nursing program requires many antibody titers, even if you can provide official documentation of vaccination--and they aren't covered by our student health fee or the optional health insurance offered through the school. Any advice or info would be much appreciated.

  2. Visit pluskon profile page

    About pluskon

    Joined: Sep '06; Posts: 8


  3. by   caliotter3
    Local public health dept.
  4. by   ginger58
    Guess I grew up in the time of vaccination and documentation. It has always been enough for me to say I had the chickenpox, measle both types, as a child. If you get these titres done be sure to ask for a copy to keep. If you have a doc can he document that you had the chickenpox? I'd be darned if I'd had the disease and had to do the series. I agree with the county health department.
  5. by   pluskon
    Thanks guys! I wasn't sure about whether or not my local health department would help me out with the titers or not (since I don't need them to be healthy) but I'm going to give it shot and see what they say. I have to have the titers one way or another and I really can't afford them at full price right now, so hopefully they'll be understanding. And hopefully they won't think I'm nuts for wanting the chicken pox series even though I've already had chicken pox and am immune! I wish I could track down my old doctor from childhood, but the clinic he worked at is long since gone and I don't think my Mom can even remember his name (it was about 20 years ago!). In all likelihood, I didn't even go to the doc for treatment because it was so obvious what I had and my case was mild. Getting the redundant vaccination and titers is a sacrifice I'm willing to make to attend my nursing program...but I sure wish the school would cut students a deal on them!
  6. by   Linz8
    I went through the same thing w/ all the blood work. My shot records weren't to be found and with many phone calls and questions, I found out I could get the bulk of my shots at the dept. of Health in my area and the titers I needed were covered in my insurance due to it being for the medical field. With shots being $97 a piece (OMG) and my health insurance only covering the Hep B shots, the Dept. of Health was more than happy to help.

    They go on the honor system, they don't ask for pay stubs, they just want the public to get their immunizations. Give it a shot (no pun intended) and call them up, they will most likely be more than happy to answer your questions and schedule an appointment. Good luck!
  7. by   *Blessed2BaNRS*
    Hi pluskon,

    Can you not contact your high school to get your immunization record? That is what I did, as my mother didn't have them. Also, the Public Health Department where you live or at least graduated from usually has a record of them. Luckily, my school does the immunizations for free for us, since we are charged a health service fee each semester. I ended up having to have an MMR. :uhoh21: It had to be the big one that I needed!! Good luck~
  8. by   pluskon
    I actually do have my immunization record from high school (it doesn't include the chicken pox vaccine because I never had one--the school nurse just took my word for it when I told her I chicken pox as a child and believed that I was immune) and I have documentation of the Hep B series I received in college. Unfortunately, at my school you must provide written documentation of either having the illness or receiving a vaccination AND have antibody titers showing immunity. Since I can't prove I had chicken pox, they want me to get the vaccine and get a titer 6 months later proving immunity (it's kind of silly that I can't just get the titer proving immunity first and be done with it). As for all the other immunizations that I have on record, they still require titers on top of the documentation. That's going to be super costly unless my local health department with do titers for me in addition to the chicken pox vaccine and an adult polio booster that I apparently need (even though I had 3 separate doses as a child). I sure hope they will!!!:spin:
  9. by   kukukajoo
    Check with your high school nurse- they may have the record you need.

    I ran into this and contacted the state labs who would charge next to nothing for testing titers (cheaper than shots) but needed someone to draw the labs. The suggested going to the STD clinic and I called and of course they would draw them on a sliding fee scale as well as provide the Hep B series and other vacs. very affordably! I would never have thought about that! Also contacted the local VNA who holds health clinics and they also would draw the titers and immunize for like $10.00 a visit! Ended up going to my PCP when I got a job with insurance, but these are some places to check.
  10. by   pluskon
    Thanks for the response kukukajoo! Those are some great ideas. But my acronym skills are failing me here...what's VNA stand for?:spin:
  11. by   meandragonbrett
    If I were in your situation, I would not be having the vaccine and then the titer. If I knew for a fact that I did indeed have the chicken pox, I would not accept the vaccine. Having the vaccine doesn't mean you will develop immunity to the chicken pox either. I have had the pox twice and still have a negative titer.
  12. by   KellNY
    That's BS about the CP--either you have the titers or you don't. And if you have them, you don't need the vax. That's overkill, unwarrented, and more than an inconvenience to you. I'd fight it.
    Last edit by KellNY on May 14, '07
  13. by   kukukajoo
    Sorry! VNA = Visiting Nurse Association
  14. by   nkaptain
    You can actually get all of your immunizations and blood titers at the Vaccine Center. Its a great place to get affordable titers and vaccines and carries more vaccines than the health department. Go to or to get more information.