Scariest thing you have found - page 6

What is the scariest thing that you have stumbled across after following someone else? I found that a Dopamine drip had been started and left on all weekend on my medical floor that had staffing... Read More

  1. by   moonshadeau

    coded after a pronounced death? That is quite interesting..
  2. by   flashpoint
    Just yesterday as a matter of fact, I got called in to my NM's office because I gave a patient Elavil 10 mg - 4 tabs instead of the Elavil 100 mg - 4 tabs that was ordered. I honestly didn't see that second zero! Turns out that I was giving the RIGHT was transcribed incorrectly. Sigh.

    Had a med aid give a 92 patient 25 mL of MS elixir (way way back when we got it in 200 mL bottles) instead of 2.5 mL. Patient slept for the first time in weeks and is alive and kicking today...just celebrated his 101th birthday!
  3. by   FROGGYLEGS
    Maybe not the scariest thing I've ever seen, but definitely the NASTIEST. I came in for my usual weekend shift on a subacute floor. It's Saturday and there is a new patient who was admitted on a monday. Prior to that the room had been empty for about a month. I walk into the room and the stench floored me. I spoke with the patient for a moment and tried to hide my disgust. Asked other staff members who had previously cared for patient why he would have a horrid cloud of funk taking over room. Only answer was he has N/V/D, infection, and refuses pericare and showers. Return to room look over patient. Inquire about possibility of showering, having linens changed, etc. Pt. refuses. Okay so I go to open the window to let some fresh air in. Pt does not object. Find one wound VAC lying in corner next to window. Wound VAC has container and tubing still intact. Wound VAC container filled with MOLDED BLOOD. Flies circling VAC. I grab a biohazard bag, removed tubing and container, begin to uncontrollably gag from odor. I run to the biohazard room and think I will pass out on the way. I can deal with odors, but I'm a first-timer when it comes to molded blood, the smell is far worse than road kill. Voila, contaminated equipment removed, problem solved. The kicker is that the pt had no wounds and that the VAC was left from a pt. that had been discharged weeks earlier. That poor guy was being blamed for stinking up the unit. Problem reported. Other nurses politely reminded to discard biohazardous waste appropriately etc. That was a few weeks ago. This week I came in and found two more contaminated VACs that were not in use in the rooms of 2 pts. who had been transferred to hospital. Luckily these hadn't molded yet. The patients were both due to come back. The containers just sitting there and the tubing lying on the floor. The closest explanation we can come up with is that the tubing is being "saved" for when the pts return because locating these particular tubing systems can be quite an ordeal sometime. This is starting to be a real nuisance to me!
  4. by   hoolahan
    Originally posted by Hellllllo Nurse
    Didn't you report it? Could you have written an anonymous letter to the family telling them the cause of the pt's problem?
    This situation blows me away
    Yes, I reported it, but that report doesn't go to the family.

    I guess I could have done an anon letter, but that is not my style, and I was truly hoping this woman, who claimed to be a devout religious woman (doesn't matter what religion really, does it?), wouold "do the right thing." She did the right thing alright, for herself! I wish I could say it surprised me!
  5. by   unikuelady
    Our "Crash Carts" are to be checked daily. Opened once a week for complete inventory of all items-including medications contained in cart. Upon my turn to open the cart, I discovered that the Entire box of Cardiac rescue meds was missing. The pediatric med box was expired and the O2 tank was almost empty! The scarry part is that it's been like this for over 2 months! Nurses were just signing it off without checking it! Needless to say there were several "write ups" and mandantory inservices instituted.
  6. by   SmilingBluEyes
    A patient recovering from a csection who would NOT arouse. NOTHING in report prepared me..and I was a first year RN. Turned out, she was hemorrhaging inside. I massaged her fundus and extracted SEVERAL clots that looked like one's liver!!! Yes, they were THAT big. Her pressures were almost unreadable, heart rate so fast and thready I could not count. Thank goodness, she came back fast. She responded to vigorous massages and IV boluses well. But her recovery was slower, as you might imagine.

    It was just fortunate I happened to go to HER room first for assessments; I had a more recently-delivered patient to see. But "something" told me to go to room 263 first. So glad I did. I never ever forgot and never ever forgave that nurse going OFF for not being more sharp in her assessments. I learned the hard way you can take NOTHING for granted.
  7. by   Cheyenne RN,BSHS
    The scariest thing that I have seen happen since I started nursing was with one of the new RN graduates right after she got her license.

    She had been left as charge nurse over a 46 bed medical floor and was the only RN on the unit.

    At that facility only the RN's were permitted to handle anything that pertained to an IV.

    The MD had ordered Lanoxin 0.25 mg IV now. She read the vials that each said 0.5 mg lanoxin and opened five vials and gave it.
    The patient was moved to ICU but survived without coding.

    I feel that the facility pushed the new grads and new hires out onto the units before they were properly trained and ready in order to boast that they had RN coverage back then.
  8. by   JULZ
    I just want to thank all of you for sharing your stories. I'm not a nurse yet but will be someday and hearing these stories is a real eye opener and tells me that we can't rush in doing this job. Things have to be done at a safe pace and when that is compromised there are lives at stake. I am very determined to take as much time as I need to make sure it is right, the first time!

    Thanks to ALL!!!
  9. by   mattsmom81
    The crash cart story reminded me of a night when I opened my crash cart to start ACLS and the drug tray inside was a neonatal tray. Our patient was an adult and did not survive...the ACLS delay may have played a role.

    I wrote an incident report on this but the hospital STILL has no way for us to check/verify the drug drawer's remains unseen and locked til codes per policy. <sigh>
  10. by   janesny
    This happened when the nurse taking care of my son goofed. the nurse seemed pretty unsure of herself all shift. I had worked in this facility for year's and maybe she was trying too hard. She was trying to prime his hyperal and lipids and had a real bad time of it. The worst was after she had taken off the saftey cap she dropped ithe open line on the floor and was just about ready to connect it to him. I calmly stated that we were in for sepsis, and would she please change the lower tubing. She got angry and Soon we had another nurse for the rest of the shift.
  11. by   NurseChick
    I was working an evening shift about a month ago, (usually work nights) and went into a lady's room who would occasionally need suctioning. Found the suction machine about half full of "liquid" and also full of mold! It was nasty to say the least. It had to have been there for quite awhile for the mold to have gotten as bad as it did. Passed on in report to please wash machine when you are through using it.
  12. by   Zee_RN
    moonshadeau: she coded in the CT Scanner, the E.D. doc who admitted her and NEGLECTED the belly attended the code in the scanner room, called the code and pronounced her right there. We brought her back up to ICU for the wrapping. Called the attending and let him know she passed. While at the nurses station, another nurse (who was starting the post-mortem care) came back out and said "You better come back in here! She's breathing again!" Sure enough she developed agonal respirations...threw her back on the monitor and she had a rhythm...not much of one but a rhythm indeed. Had to RECODE her because the code status was not addressed; heck, she had already been pronounced!! Needless to say, it was a very mini code. Attending was REALLY ticked when we called him BACK to tell him she had died AGAIN.
  13. by   rowbucks