gyne nurses...i need your help

  1. This is probably going to sound odd being that i'm a nurse, but here goes. I am recently married, and was a virgin. My husband and I are having a very hard time having intercourse. it seems very painful once he is in approx. 3 inches. i've talked with my gyne who said that there was nothing wrong with my most recent gyne exam. as you may know from previous posts, i am a very anxious person and i believe that my anxiety may have something to do with it, but...can anyone think of anything else that may be causing this to happen? the gyne was able to use a reg. sized speculum on me as well. my husband has been patient with me, but he is starting to get frustrated. it feels like he is pushing up against a wall and it is so painful that i cry. I have to say that I am not very familiar with my own anatomy and so not only is this uncomfortable for me to talk about, but its driving me nuts that I don't know what could be wrong...any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
  2. Visit sunneeRN profile page

    About sunneeRN

    Joined: Jan '07; Posts: 28; Likes: 29


  3. by   TazziRN
    We can't give advice, sorry. If anxiety is the issue then perhaps you should think about counselling.
  4. by   Spidey's mom
    I'd suggest finding another doc - maybe a woman.

    What you are experiencing is normal for alot of women - maybe take your husband with you on your next appt with A NEW DOC.

    Best wishes hon . . . . .

  5. by   Roy Fokker
    I'm truly sorry you are facing this issue.
    Intimacy issues are tricky and touchy.

    Unfortunately, we really can't offer any medical advice. You're better off discussing the issue with your PCPs.

    Good luck,
  6. by   Liddle Noodnik
    I agree, we don't give medical advice. I also think (my personal opinion) that there are too many non-nursing people who would get a "kick" out of this kind of discussion ... more appropriate for your doc or your women friends.

    God bless
  7. by   rn/writer
    Please, speak with your current doc about your concerns. If you aren't satisfied with the results there, keep looking. As Steph mentioned, a female practitioner may be helpful.

    The most important things:

    Keep looking until you find what you need.

    Be absolutely honest with your account.

    Keep the lines of communication open with your husband.

    You can call your local medical board and ask for the names of several physicians who are board certified in OB/Gyn and who also specialize in sexual dysfunction.

    Don't give up hope. Many women have had similar difficulties and have been able to find help.

    This thread is now closed.
  8. by   SmilingBluEyes
    Definately take this to a caring and supportive Gynecologist. Could be dyspareunia, a chronic, painful condition afflicting many women. I am so sorry about this; it must be horrible. Definately pursue a diagnosis and treatment from a gynecologist familiar with female pelvic pain. I wish you relief and healing.
    Last edit by rn/writer on Feb 1, '07