But, she was fine this morning! - page 2

1.20 PM The red phone rang in the ER. This was the EMS line when they called with an incoming emergency. "South side ER. This is Nurse Annie. May I help you?" "Nurse Annie, Brian from EMS... Read More

  1. by   morte
    Quote from spotangel
    All peds death in the ED except for kids with bad medical/chronic issues get referred to the ME automatically in the ED I worked in.
    A lot of people touched Sara from grandma, EMS,ED staff to family who saw her after she was pronounced . So the issue was not tampering with evidence . The two issues were compassion and safety and to manage it.The same Hosp has a different policy now for morgue viewing but then strictly prohibited it.
    I knew I did the right thing but I was between a Nurse Manager who was extremely narrow minded and always tried to pull me down(She had a field day with this incident ) and a medical director who was into lot of shady stuff and did not like the fact that I was straight up. So I was not part of the in crowd--ever ! Incidentally the Medical director was fired a year later for something big and couple of years ago , the Nurse Manager was stripped off her title and is not allowed to work a management job anymore.So I have learned that God works in mysterious ways and don't fret anymore!
    Thank you for all the comments ! I am very humbled !
    makes no difference who touched bfore pronouncement. and is the person that gave her the bottle being charged with neglect?
  2. by   Rosie1girl
    I would have done the same thing!
  3. by   melissa77788
    Replying to comment above about negligence: I am guessing it was done to rule out anyone or to see if something was missed in her recent ER visit (more to protect the hospital), and/or to ensure it was not cause by family member purposely or accidently (such as overdosing or given wrong meds). If it was aspirated milk it was just an unfortunate event, cannot see how the grandma was truely/knowingly negligent so why charge her.
    Last edit by melissa77788 on Jul 19, '17 : Reason: Add detail
  4. by   CrazierThanYou
    Oh my. I worked in ER for a while but I had to leave because the reactions to unexpected deaths overwhelmed me. Thankfully, I was never involved in a pediatric code.
  5. by   spotangel
    No ! It was ruled accidental
  6. by   The new old guy
    As a paramedic of 18 years with multiple pediatric codes, and a soon to be RN, as well as a Pastor, you absolutely did the right thing! Thank you for being who you are. You are a model for our profession! Never change...
  7. by   retiredmednurse
    Quote from brownbook
    I am shaking, peds codes/death's and that she had been in the ER less than 24 hours earlier, I can't imagine a worse case. Thank you for sharing, I hope sharing the story also helps you deal with it.

    Your Medical Director is an idiot. I did the same thing, except (thankfully) with an elderly man who came in via ambulance, ACLS in progress. The code was called soon after arrival. Several family were there, they saw his body and left, I took him to our morgue. About two hours later an adult granddaughter came in and wanted to see him.

    Luckily I was the House Administrative Nurse, on the the 11 - 7 shift, so I had no one to answer to. I explained to the granddaughter that the morgue was old, not very pleasant, he would be on a metal slab. She still wanted to see him. I went ahead, made him a presentable, and brought her back. She was fine.

    I wonder if I broke some policy? I would have done it irregardless. That is the good part about working nights. No administrators around to mess things up!
    Yes, one can get away with a few things on nights than on the other shifts. A similar incident happened to me. The patient died on the floor and since there was no one present the patient was taken to the morgue. About 4 hours later, but before the end of my shift, a close family member wanted to see the pt. I called the night shift house supervisor and told her the request. She brought the body back up and we laid the pt in an empty bed and covered her nicely before the family member arrived and could see her. When the family member left, we took the body back to the morgue.
  8. by   retiredmednurse
    I have never worked peds, but was involved in one ped code. In our hospital, ortho and peds were physically on the same floor next to each other, but each unit with their own staffing and policies, etc. I was a new grad and working the ortho floor. I saw ER bring up a one year old on the stretcher for peds and her mother. The dx as pneumonia. As soon as the child was brought to the floor, the mother (the only family member) left. About 30 mins. later, a code was called for peds. The nurse was the only RN, and probably just a few more years of experience as I, on her floor and so I walked over to peds to watch the rest of the patients while the code was going on. The child had been placed in a 4-bed ward. As I made my rounds, there were 2 other young kids in the room. One was sleeping, and I pulled his curtain. The other was a 4 year old girl and she was awake sitting up and watching the code. Her pupils were dilated and she was scared. I closed her curtain so she could no longer watch and sat with her for a several minutes. The code was not successful. The mother never returned before the shift was over. And the nurse involved, later quit and joined the navy. Just a sad case all around.
  9. by   marylou5
    Sometimes you do what your gut tells you to do...because it helps the family deal with their grief (and it is not illegal... just hospital policy)
    ...and worry about the consequences later. We've all done it...because we are human and it's the right thing to do.
  10. by   RN2bstatus

    I also believe that God works in mysterious ways. I'm not exactly sure how I came across your article, but I'm truly grateful for it and I'll be following you from now on. Coming from a mother who has experienced the death of a very young son, you did the right thing. After my son passed away, the doctor and nurses prepared a room, asked my husband and I to sit or lie down, & they brought our son to the room. We were able to hold him for over 3 hours. It's people like you that further helped me go into the medical field. May God bless you tremendously and abundantly always...AMEN!
  11. by   FranEMTnurse
    the Medical director was fired a year later for something big and couple of years ago , the Nurse Manager was stripped off her title and is not allowed to work a management job anymore.So I have learned that God works in mysterious ways.

    God bless you my dear. You have the correct user name; "Spotnurse".I don't know if I would have ever been able to be a PEDIATRIC NURSE. It's so draining on the emotions, but5 God surely was in control in this situation, wasn't He.
  12. by   joey4468
    It surprised me that I started to cry reading this article. I am glad this platform exists, I don't know a similar one here in Europe. This article reminded me on my personal emotional moments at work that became rare because I reduced my working hours as I started studying management of environment and bio-resources..kind of a reaction of frustration, because I didn't find a fulfilling work "environment". I am now again in search of my "nursing-essence". Maybe this article gave me the kick in the ass starting a planned documentation project about nurses and her work..thank you for sharing!
  13. by   spotangel
    You are welcome joey4468! This is what I hope to do full time one day . Sharing unique nursing true stories make people aware of what we do and the challenges and solutions we come across on a daily basis. No nurse can say that yesterday and today are alike. Just when you think you have seen it all, something else comes up! All luck and God's blessings on you!