RN to BSN nurses: viewed differently?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Pediatrics, Nursing Education.

Hello,

I was wondering if you guys had seen any differences in the way RN-BSN nurses are viewed. I'm talking about those nurses who had the ADN first then bridged over to BSN later. Are these people seen / treated differently at your facility? Such as, promoted more quickly, not as quickly, etc?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Do NOT turn this into the old ADN vs. BSN debate. I really don't want to be responsible for starting one of those threads. They get on my nerves!

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.

nope none. no one cares what degree anyone has where I work. I like it that way. You can't tell who has a BSN/ADN or diploma.

The only difference I see is that they can apply for the "BSN required" positions, such as any of our management positions.

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac.

I think that here they are regarded as a BSN whether they got in ADN to BSN or BSN first. Our assistant manager went ADN to BSN and got promoted.

A BSN is a BSN, and I don't see them being treated differently regardless of how they went to get it. :)

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

I haven't seen any difference in the RN-BSN nurses are treated when compared to generic BSN grads. Once you have the degree, I think that satisfies most people. Then it becomes a matter of what they actually think of YOU and your ability to do the job.

llg

I haven't seen any difference in the RN-BSN nurses are treated when compared to generic BSN grads. Once you have the degree, I think that satisfies most people. Then it becomes a matter of what they actually think of YOU and your ability to do the job.

llg

Just a small question......what is a "generic" BSN?

Are management positions really only open to BSN degree holders? Just wondering, because I have never heard of anyone that said they wnated to go into management-- ADN or BSN-- so it would seem they would have to increase the pool to get enough people that are interested.

Usually when I hear discussions of working in management it includes the phras "You couldn't pay me enough..."

As an aside, the only time I have heard BSN degree holders talk about getting a BSN specifically because they had to it is because they wanted to go into ET nursing or school nursing.

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.
Just a small question......what is a "generic" BSN?

It's a term used to describe 4-year programs in which the student officially enters the nursing program in the freshman year. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the term here because I didn't really mean to limit my comments to generic BSN programs. 2+2 programs also produce an entry-level new grad nurse. 2+2 programs are those BSN programs in which the student takes 2 years of liberal arts and then has to apply for admission to the nursing program in the junior year.

llg

I dunno, just to throw this in... the vibe I have gotten is those who do RN-BSN are seen as more motivated and more into advancing their career, and these are the ones that "move up" a bit more quickly than those who do generic BSN. Has anyone seen this?

probably because they already have the nursing experience and then are ready to go into management when they get the BSN instead of the Generic BSN having to wait a few years to get that experience.

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.

Nah it does not matter. I have respect for all people who seek education, whether generic or step by step. The only thing I can see making this sort of person "better" (for lack of a better word) is a returning RN-BSN nurse has actual EXPERIENCE, and that is invaluable---you can't quantify it, it means so much. His/her education can only be a boon for him or her. why would anyone judge them as "less"? That would be purty petty and foolish if you ask me. I don't see them as "better" over all, either way. And like I said, where I work no one knows who possesses what education except HR and the director.

Nah it does not matter. I have respect for all people who seek education, whether generic or step by step. The only thing I can see making this sort of person "better" (for lack of a better word) is a returning RN-BSN nurse has actual EXPERIENCE, and that is invaluable---you can't quantify it, it means so much. His/her education can only be a boon for him or her. why would anyone judge them as "less"? That would be purty petty and foolish if you ask me. I don't see them as "better" over all, either way. And like I said, where I work no one knows who possesses what education except HR and the director.

that is nice. at my facility you can't really tell either. and, all of our badges say "Name, RN". No BSN, etc. is stuck on there. So, that's pretty nice.

+ Add a Comment