newsweek column

Specialties Emergency

Published

Has anyone read this weeks newsweek? they have an opinion column each week where someone writes their own letter, this week was about an ER nurse in Michigan talking about the patient load. I thought it was a nice letter to get the public to start thinking and talking about the issue without blaming the nurses. What do you all think??

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.

Perhaps if you quoted the article or provided a link to it, we'd have something to discuss.

Here is the column, I hope this works, I have never pasted before, so forgive me if it doesn't.

If ER Nurses Crash, Will Patients Follow?

I'm so overworked that I go home at night praying I haven't made a mistake that might hurt someone

Hazardous conditions: Paul Duke says the ERs he works in have too many patients, not enough staff'

By Paul Duke

NewsweekFeb. 2 issue - I was sprinting down the hall when a patient waiting to be seen by a doctor asked me for a blanket. She was in her mid-70s, cold, scared and without any family or friends nearby. Did I have time to get her that blanket, or even stop to say a few words to let her know she wasn't alone? No, I didn't.

advertisement

As an emergency-room nurse, I'm constantly forced to shuffle the needs of the sick and injured. At that particular moment, half of my 12 patients were screaming for pain medication, most of the others needed to be rushed off to tests and one was desperately trying not to die on me.

Was that blanket important in the grand scheme of things? Not really. She wasn't going to die without it. So it got tossed on the back burner, along with my compassion.

I often find myself hopping from task to task just to keep everyone alive. By the end of the shift I often wonder, did I kill anyone today? I go home tired and beaten down, praying like mad that I didn't make any mistakes that hurt anyone.

For five years I have worked in one of the busiest emergency rooms in southeastern Michigan. For the last two I have picked up overtime by working in four other hospitals, including the busiest emergency room in inner-city Detroit. No matter where I am, I experience the same problem--too many patients, not enough staff.

When I started emergency-room nursing five years ago, I would typically have four or five patients. I could spend a few minutes chatting with them and answering their questions. Let's face it, when you are in a drafty emergency room in just a flimsy paper gown and your underwear, it is nice to have someone actually talk to you. It's a scary experience to get poked and prodded in various parts of your anatomy.

But now on an average day I have 10 to 12 patients. Once I even had 22. On that night I was feeling swamped, so I went to the charge nurse for help. She was as busy as I was, so she told me to take the five sickest patients and keep them alive, and get to the rest when I could. Now, here's a question: do you want to be one of the five sickest who get attention right away, or one of the others who have to wait maybe seven, eight or even 10 hours before someone gets to you?

That night I staggered home grateful that nobody had died. But I wondered, do I really want to do this job? I love the emergency room, but I was so damn frustrated. Was it just me?

I did an informal survey of the emergency rooms where I work. Every nurse I spoke to said the patient load had at least doubled in the last three years. None of them expected the situation to get better soon.

Troubling, but hardly scientific, so I did a little digging for some real statistics. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, from 1997 through 2000 the annual number of emergency-room visits went from 95 million to 108 million, while the number of ERs decreased. So who picked up the slack? The staff at emergency rooms, like mine, that are still standing.

The journal Nursing 2003 reports that approximately three out of 10 R.N.s believe their hospital has enough nurses to provide excellent care. Not exactly what you want to hear from the people responsible for your loved ones' health.

The future doesn't look any brighter. Studies show that by 2010, 40 percent of all registered nurses will be over 50. That's when most of us are getting ready to cut back our hours or switch from direct patient care to chart review. By 2020 there will be an estimated shortfall of 808,400 nurses, partly because many will have retired or become so dissatisfied that they've quit, but also because fewer people are entering the profession. Yet the number of Americans older than 65 is expected to double from 35 million to 70 million over the next two decades. As someone who knows just how often the elderly visit ERs due to heart attacks, strokes and falls, I see trouble ahead.

Don't get me wrong--my colleagues are some of the hardest-working and most professional nurses you will find. But when you're given 20 patients when you should have six, well, you're only so good.

After all this you must wonder why I don't quit. The truth is, I love nursing. It's what I am good at. I love the challenge of not knowing what will come crashing through the doors. Emergency-room nurses rise to the occasion. But we are being steamrolled, stretched thin and beaten down, and the best of us are frustrated.

At the end of my 18-hour shift I got that little old lady her blanket and spent a few minutes talking to her. She took my hand, smiled and said thank you.

I'm frustrated, but I'll be back.

Duke lives in Southgate, Mich.

© 2004 Newsweek, Inc.

MORE FROM COLUMNISTS

George F. Will: The Parties' Temptations

* My Turn: If ER Nurses Crash, Will Patients Follow?* George F. Will: The Parties' Temptations* Alter: The Doctor's Switch to Decaf* Bryant Quinn: Colleges' New Tuition Crisis* Sloan: A Sudden Disconnect* Zakaria: The One-Note Superpower* Columnists Section Front

TOP STORIES

* The Really Interesting Oscar Stories

* Beware Criminals `Phishing' for Dollars

* Is Bush's AIDS Relief Finally on Track?

* Q&A: Living on McDonald's Food for a Month

* Borowitz: Kim Jung-Il Frightened by Dean

* At least 4 killed in Baghdad blast

* Kay to testify about WMD hunt

* N.E. storm delivers light blow

* British probe clears prime minister

* Kerry wins New Hampshire

CURRENT ISSUE

* Chasing Down Insurgents in Iraq

* The Soft Sell: Pitching Impotence Drugs

* Life off the Court: Serena's Next Game

* Steven Levy: Okay, Mac, Make a Wish

COLUMNISTS

* My Turn: If ER Nurses Crash, Will Patients Follow?

* George F. Will: The Parties' Temptations

* Bryant Quinn: Colleges' New Tuition Crisis

* Sloan: A Sudden Disconnect

* Zakaria: The One-Note Superpower

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.

I think the public may start thinking and talking, but nurses are the most visible hospital employees. We're still going to take their frustration with lack of care. The nurse manager who planned the schedule and the hospital administrator who cut the budget for staffing aren't all that visible, so who do YOU think is going to take the public's frustration that the nurse doesn't have time to hold Grandma's hand because she's frightened?

Specializes in Emergency Room.

I thought it was a well thought out article. but...........I would have added some insight as to how we are spit at, sweared at, yelled at, etc. It's hard enough to do a job right when you are constantly running your butt off, without having to deal with these dregs of society.

when I flipped my new Newsweek open a few hours ago, that article was the first one I saw- I thought it was great. I for one am going to write a letter to the editor saying how nice it was to see a firsthand account of a dedicated nurse who LIKES nursing but is facing the reality of the profession today.

i know the article was very short and intended for the general public not policy makers, but one thing that I think is important and got left out is that there IS an interest in nursing- nursing schools often turn away many more than they accept. Lack of solid professors to educate nurses plays as big a role as lack of a sane working environment to retain them.

Specializes in Trauma, Teaching.

Did you see the letters to the editor the next week, in reply to the article? One postive, the other by a doc who complained if nurses would actually work instead of standing around filling out protest of assignment forms, there wouldn't be such problems? That the poor doc had to do labs or other patient care tasks because the nurses wouldn't ? :angryfire

Interesting to note, too, that this "doctor" lacked the courage of his convictions, hiding behind the "name with held" shield.

+ Add a Comment