How much studying in a day???

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Just wondering how many hours in a day a typical nursing student(that would be us) studies in one day? Im starting nursing school in January and I want to know what I should expect. Thanks

I graduate next May and I typically study at least 2 hours per day give or take a day here or there to focus on family.

I always found 1 hour in class = 2 hours outside either preparing or reviewing...

but that could just be me :rolleyes:

Good luck and congrats

I've been hearing that it's close to 4-6 hours per day and all day on weekends! :eek:

So please,,,,,,,,,,keep these responses coming :)

I would like to know what the average study time is also....

i've been out of school for a while, but as i recall when my grades were at their best i was putting in 4-6 hours/day.

Specializes in ER.

Depending on what is going on, I spend about 15-20 hours a week on school junk....but I do mine in spurts. I am not a daily study person.

Our faculty advisor told us to "schedule" 3 hours of personal study/homework per 1 hour class time (pre nursing). Honestly, I can't remember putting in that amount of time in my first degree courses but I likely should have!

Specializes in psychiatric ER, Mental Health.

I usually did most of my "studying" on the weekends. My schedule was something like this.....

Work full time monday- friday ( usually studying through my lunch )

Tuesday: class after work

wednesday and thursday: clinical after work.

monday, friday and saturday: at the lab learning, practicing, or testing out on skills.

saturday, sunday sit at my desk study. sometimes laundry, cooking a meal or two, trying to spend a minute or two with my husband who i never saw through the week.

each school is a little different. and each person has their own life going on.

Having finished my first semester, the only thing i can tell you from my experience is this. They are going to throw a lot at you. my response ( in my head) was "thank you sir my i have another!" you just have to roll with it. It was a great semester, i learned so much, i was pretty numb through it though because it was quite overwhelming. i am just now really reflecting on the semester at this point. i took a quick couple of classes through the first summer term and am now done for the summer.

best of luck to you!

Just wondering how many hours in a day a typical nursing student(that would be us) studies in one day? Im starting nursing school in January and I want to know what I should expect. Thanks

I believe the number of hours one spends is dependent on several things, including reading ability and comprehension, type of material being read, previous knowledge, current experience. When I was younger, I'll be 60 next month, my recall came much easier. Today, I have to spend more time recalling then I did when I was younger :) So, one or six hours depends on you :rotfl:

Grannynurse :balloons:

I believe the number of hours one spends is dependent on several things, including reading ability and comprehension, type of material being read, previous knowledge, current experience. When I was younger, I'll be 60 next month, my recall came much easier. Today, I have to spend more time recalling then I did when I was younger :) So, one or six hours depends on you :rotfl:

A more true statement has never been made. In pre-req's I would find that some people could study for an hour or two for, say a Physio exam, while others could spend the entire weekend studying and the scores might not even reflect this time spent. There are such vast differences in comprehension levels and just basic intelligence as well. Some people have a rough go of it while others may breeze through.

Discussion boards like this are so wonderful to give people an idea of what to expect but even a great discussion can't predict what your personal experience might be like....

I'm with you 100%, Grannynurse. I definitely think that quality is more important than quantity. I've had some classes where I took fabulous notes, which I reviewed daily (only about 20-30 minutes/day), then studied for an hour or two before an exam and did very well. I firmly believe that your studying will be much more fruitful if you:

1. Go to class and take good notes

2. Get enough rest! Going to class won't help if you fall asleep.

3. Get help with concepts that are difficult for you.

4. Try to find time to study where you will not be uninterrupted :chuckle and can concentrate fully on your work.

5. Don't get behind on your reading!!!!

If I'll be in class this fall for 12 hours (plus clinicals), it seems ludicrous to me that I'll be spending another 36 hours studying. I could be wrong...I'll let you know in August!

Richele

+ Add a Comment