what are the requirements for 91WM6?

Specialties Government

Published

Sorry, I am brand spanking new on this thing. I would like to know what AIT would consist of. Also, I am an EMT-B and I will have my CNA by the time I leave for the Warriors Transition Course. I am going to make sure my recruiter puts it in writing that I get the 91WM6, but what are the prereqs? I would assume that I would still go through the 91W course but what about the M6? my recruiter really has no idea. I would really like as much info as I can possibly get so that I can study and be more profeciant in AIT. I was a 63W my first enlistment. My recruiter told me the best thing to do right now is to go reserve because there are 6 slots open in a unit for the 91WM6. Then I could wait 6 months and go full time. I am trying for my RN. I did not realize that an RN is an officer. With that, how many college credits do you need to be comissioned? I have human development, intro to psych and algebra. will this help?

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.

any Army vets/active duty to help this person out?

Up until today I had not considerd the Army for any nurse training. However, a client walked into my office today (I work in community on a military base) looking for relocation info to Texas. His wife is finishing boot camp and then will do her AIT (91W) at Ft Sam; the school is 18 months. I have an appointment to speak with a reserve recruiter tomorrow so hopefully I will have more info.

My impression is that the Army will work with you since retention/recruitment are very low compared to the other services.

You need to attend an accredited university for your BSN.

How many years would the Army require you to enlist if you go 91W-M6? Would they go for 3.5yrs enlistment?

Specializes in Telemetry, OR, ICU.
Sorry, I am brand spanking new on this thing. I would like to know what AIT would consist of. Also, I am an EMT-B and I will have my CNA by the time I leave for the Warriors Transition Course. I am going to make sure my recruiter puts it in writing that I get the 91WM6, but what are the prereqs? I would assume that I would still go through the 91W course but what about the M6? my recruiter really has no idea. I would really like as much info as I can possibly get so that I can study and be more profeciant in AIT. I was a 63W my first enlistment. My recruiter told me the best thing to do right now is to go reserve because there are 6 slots open in a unit for the 91WM6. Then I could wait 6 months and go full time. I am trying for my RN. I did not realize that an RN is an officer. With that, how many college credits do you need to be comissioned? I have human development, intro to psych and algebra. will this help?

A little bkgd on me, then my reply to your post. I accepted direct commission as 1LT to USAR Nurse Corps in 2003. The Army Reserves is the only nurse corps branch that will accept ADNs. Be advised, the rank of CPT will be the limit w/o a BSN. BTW, I completed RN-BSN program in 2004. ;)

The 91WM6 course [A.K.A. Army LVN course] should most definitely be in writing on your contract. It is my understanding you would bypass 91W training, and go straight to the Army LVN course. BTW, I'm very impressed with the Army trained LVNs [91WM6] that I've worked with at Brooke Army Medical Center [bAMC].

I don't like the idea of your recruiter telling you he does not know. At the least, the recruiter could reply, "I don't know, yet I'll find out, then get back with you."

Are you AC, or RC? I do know of a soldier in my reserve unit that requested the 91WM6 course, and was accepted. So, if you get assigned to a reserve unit with 6 slots for 91WM6, then I can see how it would be feasible to request for the school after you arrive at the reserve unit. However, you risk the chance of getting mobilized [activated] before being accepted to the program. Yet, if you can get the 91WM6 school in writing now, then your good to GO, soldier.

I hope some of this helps you. Good luck, and don't stop at LVN.

Please, click this link for the straight scoop on 91WM6.

The soldier must possess 91W MOS (or the 91WY2) prior to attending 91WM6 training. Like Corvette Guy stated, it is very important that you have 91WM6 training written into your contract. The link provided is a good place to get started - although your recruiter should be able to provide answers to your questions (esp. since they are pretty basic questions, nothing out of left field).

As far as the # of college credits required for commission - on active duty, the RN must possess a BSN. For the reserve component, the RN must have a minimum of an ADN. However, you'll have to complete your BSN at some point or you'll be stalled as far as promotions are considered.

Just chiming in here. My husband is 91W and wanted to do M6, in fact, signed on believing he was going because the Recruiter had him do some BS letter of intent or something like that, which meant absolutely nothing. So, just echoing everyone else, just make sure you get it written into your contract. I also wanted to say that the 91W course is 18 weeks (not months, as pp stated) and from my understanding, those selected to do M6 go right from there and do approximately a year of LVN training. It worked out for us in the long run. Instead of going that route, my husband applied for and was accepted to the Army PA school (also held at Ft. Sam Houston) and will be starting that program in January. As far as commissioning. I'm not sure if they have a special program for 91WM6 transition to professional nursing, but I'm fairly positive you'd have to do some form of green-to-gold program (which is basically getting paid to go to college and finish a degree) before you could be commissioned as an officer. To the best of my knowledge the Army will absolutely not accept ADN nurses as officers (except, as PP mentioned, in the USAR). On the upside, 91W school should be pretty easy for you, the first half of it is nothing but EMT-B stuff and the second half is more combat-specific stuff (from what my husband told me). Best of luck to you!

Hello, to help clarify a few good points given already: btw I'm active duty currently in the 91W M6 program just beginning 2nd half of phase 2 at Walter Reed at Washington D.C. The only requirement is that your ASVAB score to be high enough, I believe around 110. The comment about the recruiter saying he wasn't sure...frankly I believe it is better to tell the recruit that than lie to him like many of my classmates. Like one said, make sure you have M6 in your orders, contract, etc. Again many people were lied to and told they that they had M6 in their contract and end up finishing the 91W program to find out there is no evidence of what they claim. Unfortunately not much could be done for those people. I believe the minimum requirement for signup is 4 years which is the route that I took. 91W 18 months sounds right but EMT-B portion is just 1 month. When you graduate, they send you uphill to start phase 1 of the M6 program at 187th battallion. From there if you survive the first 2 months you get sent to a phase 2 site where you continue your education and clinical studies. Yes there are green to gold options for us. Prereqs of being and EMT-B coming in aren't necessary but it actually jumps you one cycle ahead. Basically they don't let you join the company that's about to start their training but the company that just finished their EMT-B certification. You save roughly a month's time training but one of the biggest problems people had was having the documention to prove they were actually EMT-B qualified. I think there was a problem with accepting state EMT-B certifications but National certifications, which is what the army goes though, is definately accepted. There's alot more to say but I think I covered what was asked at least. If anyone has anymore questions you can email me at [email protected] and I will try to respond as soon as possible. I'm not very good at checking my AKO email :rolleyes:

After completing M6, what type of college credits would most civilian colleges grant me? Would they grant me: Physiology and Anatomy (1 yr)? Microbiology (1 semester)? Psychology of human growth and development (1 semester)? College Chemistry (1 semester)? Nutrition? Sociology?

unfortunately I haven't had the chance to really find out since I haven't completed teh course yet but here's a link I found with someone asking the same question with good feedback.

http://forums.military.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/8121999376/m/339100394

MaoKahn, I sent you an email, please check your AKO mail, thanks again for all your help!

I don't think that you get credit for Ana 1 or 2 or micro, none of those. I talked to a LPN on base ft. jackson and he said you get 57 hours but I believe that is what you get at a school that offers LPN. So you could check out the specs at a school with an LPN program.

hopes this helps

christy

+ Add a Comment