Why are doctors so rude?

Nurses Relations

Published

Specializes in Case mgmt., rehab, (CRRN), LTC & psych.

Why are many doctors so rude when in the hospital setting? I was at clinical practice recently when a doctor screamed, ranted, and fumed at the nurses. I've noticed this mean-spirited behavior from other physicians as well. I asked one of the nurses, and she just commented, "well, they've got a lot of education." Why are many docs rude? Why do plenty of nurses tolerate it?

Why are many doctors so rude when in the hospital setting?

the answer is simple..because they can :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i think that often there are many nice ones, but it is the idea of one bad apple. you always notice the annoying/mean people more than the nice/easygoing ones.

Does their education and wealth give them the green light to be rude to nurses?

i think that often there are many nice ones, but it is the idea of one bad apple. you always notice the annoying/mean people more than the nice/easygoing ones.

I suppose. There can be 1,000 good doctors, but the one who acts loud, rude, and disrespectful will attract the attention. :crying2:

Why are many doctors so rude when in the hospital setting? I was at clinical practice recently when a doctor screamed, ranted, and fumed at the nurses. I've noticed this mean-spirited behavior from other physicians as well. I asked one of the nurses, and she just commented, "well, they've got a lot of education." Why are many docs rude? Why do plenty of nurses tolerate it?

Why are many nurses rude? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but generalizations like this are not productive for us. Many doctors are not rude; many are, but those who are, would probably be rude if they were an attorney, professor, building contractor, or any other job. People are sometimes rude because they are stressed, and though that's not an excuse for it, it can explain it sometimes. But, we are never required to tolerate it. Not from doctors, or co-workers, or family members of patients.

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.
Why are many nurses rude? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but generalizations like this are not productive for us. Many doctors are not rude; many are, but those who are, would probably be rude if they were an attorney, professor, building contractor, or any other job. People are sometimes rude because they are stressed, and though that's not an excuse for it, it can explain it sometimes. But, we are never required to tolerate it. Not from doctors, or co-workers, or family members of patients.

I agree completely. We find a lack of manners and consideration for others in every segment of society. Why should physicians be any different? We need to combat it wherever we find it -- even amongst ourselves -- ESPECIALLY amongst ourselves!

llg

Specializes in ER.

Note "the commuter" has started another thread looking for dirt on nurses as well....troll alert.

I know what you mean, most of our Docs are

nice most of the time, but there is this one Doc

who is a COMPLETE JACK@SS each and everytime

he comes to the unit. Maybe he just doesn't like

our hospital or something but that's no reason

to be rude and condesending to all the RNs. Perhaps

he's just a miserable person.

Does their education and wealth give them the green light to be rude to nurses?

No, of course not, but as long as nurses continue to be afraid to stand up to this behavior, it will continue. The only way to stop it is to confront it head on and hold these types of docs accountable for their actions.

Specializes in Inpatient Acute Rehab.

That is true!! I asked one of the docs why he was so rude sometimes and he said "Because I can!!!"

I had one doc ranting and raving because someone else had a chart he wanted. I had had it with him that day and I looked at him and said "You know, everyone else that sees that patient is entitled to use the chart, now please stop acting that way!" He looked at me and said "You are not very nice!" To which I replied "You are not very nice either!" He turned around and left in a huff. I thought to myself "oh no. Here goes. I am gonna be fired." But, he came back a half-an-hour later and apologized to me!!!!

This is something to think about. Doctors nor anyone for that matter cannot create a workplace that is "uncomfortable". Where it effects your job and well being in the workplace. Its federal law and most people dont realize that its their right to feel safe and secure in their workplace. In extreme cases you can press charges for harassment, sexual harassment, racial, age, gender, handicap discrimination ect.. But the premise is still the same. The laws are in place to protect us. So dont stand by and let people berate you at work. It may be against the law. Doctors are not immune to prosecution in spite of their status. - or anyone for that matter.

+ Add a Comment