Possible new nurse show/pilot

Nurses General Nursing

Published

One of the pilots for Fox 2007-2008 lineup

Philadelphia General

Production Co.: 20th Century Fox TV

Production Team: Samantha Goodman, Andrew Stern, Barry Josephson, Eileen Gallagher, Ann McMorifice, P.J. Hogan

Comedic drama about the lives and loves of a team of nurses in a big-city hospital

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/features/e3ibc9653989093dd91769226429b563e66

From the Philadelphia Daily News

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/entertainment/columnists/dan_gross/16737924.htm

Fox is developing a pilot called "Philadelphia General," about the work and sex lives of nurses at a big-city hospital. Think "Grey's Anatomy," with nurses instead of doctors and hopefully without an annoying lead character. The show's slated to air in June.

Another site with some info

http://www.tv.com/philadelphia-general/show/68704/summary.html

"The lives and loves of a team of nurses are chronicled in this new drama."

Sounds interesting!

Ohh goody! Another thing to make people think nurses are nothing but brainless sluts! Great! :madface:

Wasn't there a show at one time that was about nurses? I want to say the show was actually called "Nurses".

Well, since i start school a week from this Monday, I doubt I'll have the time to sit and watch a show..(I live for a few shows every week. ER, House being two of my favorites..and CSI (the Vegas one) and CSI-Miami. Oh and Criminal Minds)

Great a combination of Nurses and Sex in the City. Well maybe it will end the nursing shortage.

Specializes in ICU, CCU, Trauma, neuro, Geriatrics.

Well maybe it will actually show what nurses do in their 8, 12 and 16 hour shifts. I would personally like the show to have the same type of patients we have to care for. DT's (no need to explain), CHF who trys to get water from everyone, Diabetic with family sneaking in snacks, dementia with every diagnosis known to man and family is insisting on full code status. Daylight shift running patients to tests all morning and being bombarded by family phone calls, Evening nurse dealing with sundowing, families who want to know why the doctor isnt available at 9pm for a family conference. ETc etc etc....Night shift trying to make sense of all the chaos the last two shifts had to deal with. The 10 minute lunches whe don't get paid for anyhow, the no time to pee, the dehydration we suffer due to not being able to keep personal drinks on the unit. Our backs and feet hurt standing on hard surfaces for hours.

Specializes in Nurse Anesthesia, ICU, ED.
Well maybe it will actually show what nurses do in their 8, 12 and 16 hour shifts. I would personally like the show to have the same type of patients we have to care for. DT's (no need to explain), CHF who trys to get water from everyone, Diabetic with family sneaking in snacks, dementia with every diagnosis known to man and family is insisting on full code status. Daylight shift running patients to tests all morning and being bombarded by family phone calls, Evening nurse dealing with sundowing, families who want to know why the doctor isnt available at 9pm for a family conference. ETc etc etc....Night shift trying to make sense of all the chaos the last two shifts had to deal with. The 10 minute lunches whe don't get paid for anyhow, the no time to pee, the dehydration we suffer due to not being able to keep personal drinks on the unit. Our backs and feet hurt standing on hard surfaces for hours.

that has emmy written ALL over it.

Specializes in Gerontology.

Ah, but you are leaving of the patient with dementia who threatens to throw his ileostomy bag at you. And the visitors who wake up Grandma at midnight for a viist, then tell you she needs a sleeping pill ont he way out!

And don't forget my favourite, having to come in on your day off because a blizzard has hit and the nurses who have a 1/2 hour commute or more can make it in because of the snow, but because you live close to the hospital you can! (note to self, move away, far far away!)

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.

I have yet to see TV portray nurses in any real or positive light except China Beach.

Maybe TV has influenced me in becoming a nurse. My very first crush was at 5 years old and I was desperately in love with DR. Kildare (richard chamberlain) didn't really like Ben Casey. I never could miss an episode of MASH and spent time in patients room as a CNA watching General Hospital. Let's not forget the impact that St.Elswere and Chicago Hope played. I was programed to become a nurse.

I think China Beach did portray nurses in a favourable light. I also think MASH did. Although Loretta Swit was way too hot for goofy Maj. Burns, she was portrayed as a caring and intelligent nurse. She knew her stuff and didn't rely on physicians to tell her how to tie her shoes. I like ER, but I can't stand how the nurses who are intelligent really want to be docs. At one time, there was a PA character on the show. Often in a real ER, PA's and NP's do work alongside the docs. It would have been great to see a nurse character become an NP and work in the ER. I hate to see another bimbo nurse show.

Specializes in Rehab, Med Surg, Home Care.

I'll reserve my judgement until I see if it's more about the lives part than the loves part. We do NOT need a show portraying nurses lip-locked with their co-workers, pts, etc in every mop closet (God knows most real nurses are WAY too busy for that on the job!!

Must say I'm kinda skeptical at this point...:uhoh21:

Specializes in Utilization Management.

Another way to influence what's seen on TV about nursing: write a TV script.

You know, some of us here at Allnurses are excellent writers. Some TV programs will buy freelance scripts.

Just a thought.

+ Add a Comment