I was a ______ prior to being a nurse/student nurse

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I have seen TONS of people who have said "nursing is my second, third or fourth career." As I have become more and more curious I was wanting to start a thread to see what areas and walks of life all the nurses and student nurses had before embarking on this incredible medical journey.

I will go first.

I was a TRUCK DRIVER prior to being a nursing student..

NEXT.

I am excited to see what you all did in your PAST LIVES>>>>>

I went to school to become a social worker and had to drop out during my last year while studying for my Bachelors.

I was a stay-at-home mom for the most part for the next 16 years. (Occasional part-time jobs).

steph

Specializes in corrections, MH, geriatrics.

I was a retail manager for several years before deciding to go back to school to pursue my health care career. Nursing is my first step and is providing a nice income doing something I enjoy while I continue to attend school.

Specializes in ccu cardiovascular.

I was a united states woman marine for six years, became a stay at home mom for the next four years before i went to nursing school.

I was a stay-at-home mommy from Jan 1997 until going back to school in the fall of 2003 and then a full time mom/full time student. Now I am graduating on Dec. 11th, 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!! :balloons::monkeydance::balloons::smiley_aa WOO HOOOOO!!!!!

What a fun thread!

I was a chemical engineer prior to becoming a student nurse. My last job was writing air permits for the state. (boring! lol)

I also spent a couple of years home with the kids too.

Specializes in orthopedics, ED observation.

I have a Business-Communications degree that I never used, but went back to school to be a Certified Dental Assistant. Then, I stayed home with the kids for several years, although I filled in at the dental office from time to time. (sometimes full-time, sometimes part-time...)

Just finished school (third time is a charm...) and Boards in May and here I am.

I was a systems analyst prior to becoming a SAHM, prior to going to nursing school and becoming an RN.

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac.

I was a loser in life floundering away at minimum wage jobs like clerical and restaurant work. Nursing has been my savings grace into a middle class life.

Specializes in Cardiology, Oncology, Medsurge.

As with platinum garb, I too was involved with retail. A shoesalesman in a store with a flight of stairs to champion each time a person wanted a certain size (Twisted my ankle a couple of times on those stairs!). And a cable car (I think you could guess the city by that alone) at the street level to this second floor store which across the way at the same level was a sheet music store and union square up the block. The store was owned by Koreans, so I got to learn a little Korean language and culture. I made enough to keep myself happy; we got 1% of the sale price on each shoe besides a hourly pay of 12 dollars an hour. As in nursing, I was filling in a necessary need in society, people will always need a helpful nurse and a good pair of quality shoes that fit right! I still can get a very good ball park guess as to what my coworkers, friends and acquaintance's shoe sizes are. And if you have a large foot as a woman you can usually buy men's shoes, remembering this rule: to subtract a size and 1/2 from your shoe size! And apply the same rule if you have an average size in kids shoes...save a lot of money on athletic wear! lol

Anyway, I realized after I lost my job that it was nearly impossible to find another that would pay as well for starters. Retail is not a good career choice economically and you can't just leave one store and expect the same pay rate at another! Face it, I enjoy knowing that if I lost my RN job in Bakersfield and went to New York City, I would be paid probably possibly a little more but non the less! Now getting the licensure in New York, no guarantees there! I got my licensure in Oregon, so I know it can be done, but it's expensive!

I was a SAHM for 7 years and a Pharmaceutical Rep for 7 before that.

Specializes in SICU.

I was student teaching when I decided Nursing was the career for me... 40k later in student loans here I am. lol

+ Add a Comment