How to decide what is best for me? lpn/rn

Nurses General Nursing

Published

How did you decide which route to go .... LPN or RN??? I'm trying to decide and any advice on what made you decide would be helpful... TIA

Specializes in Med/Surg, ER and ICU!!!.

First off I would like to say Glad you are coming to this field! Congrats on making that decision. I will give a llittle background of myself, but please know that what ever you decide, needs to be your decision, and that of any family member (ie spouse, kids.)

I became an LVN first because I needed to work while I am continuing my education. I am making a decent salary, and getting some really great experiences. My end goal is to become a CRNA, so I must get my RN.

With that said, what do you have planned? Where do you invision yourself? What are you concerned about? Do you understand the difference between a RN and a LVN? You have several things to think about. Good luck.

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

I too went the LPN, ADN, BSN, MSN, post-MSN route and truly wished that I would have just done the BSN from the start. I was 32 when I started school also. I found that by 47, I was finding it difficult to keep up with a busy ER shift. Not impossible but still more than I wanted to do. From a BSN, its easier to get your MSN and go on from there. I know that when I first started, I had no clear cut goals...I ended up going for the LPN (1990-1992), doing the ADN (1992-1994) and then returning to school (2002-2006).

However, you have to do what is right for you and your family too.

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac.

Everyone has differing needs. You can get your LPN quicker and with less co-req and pre-req courses, and in some areas less of a waiting list, so many people choose this route because they don't have the time to wait to get an RN and the finances and need to work right away.

Understand that in some areas LPNs enjoy a wide variety of opportunities in nursing, and in others they are limited.

RNs enjoy a wider vareity of job opportunities for a much higher salary. Beginning RN's here make on average $5 to $7 more an hour than LPNs and the gap just widens from there. LPNs here have a hard time getting a hospital job, and when they do might not be able to work in L&D, critical care, or the emergency room.

On the other hand, LPNs here rule nursing homes and other long term facilities and make very good money compared to hospital LPNs. There are lots of jobs open for LPNs in nursing homes here.

Understand, I'm talking about where I live and it can't be generalized to the rest of the country, but from what I've heard and read, it's similar elsewhere.

My advice is to go for the RN for the money and job opportunities if you are able to that. If not, if your ultimate goal is an RN, there are lots of LPN to RN programs out there and you can get your RN later, and maybe even get some tuition help from your employer.

Good luck. Always feel free to ask questions here.

if you have the opportunity to go for rn even at the ad level by all means to that...there ae more opportunities to bridgge as to bsn + but lpn is a start difficcult decision

good luck

Thanks everyone for your help... I had a huge post all written out and I deleted all but the two sentences that you saw as I didn't want to bore anyone to tears....

I graduated with a BS in 1996. (different degree).... I've always wanted to go back for nursing, but the timing was always off... (got married, had 3 babies, yada yada yada)..

Now that my kids are starting school and preschool, I've decided it's now or never.

My husband makes enough money to support us financially (I stay home with the kids), so the money isn't an issue. (Although it will be nice to actually have my "own" paycheck in which I can contribute something and maybe even buy some stuff for myself now and then without consulting with him)....

So..... my goal is L&D or the NICU. I could get my BSN... but I just don't know if it's for me. I'm really not interested in moving up the so called corporate ladder.

So I've decided to go the ADN route. I've applied to our local CC and am starting my pre-reqs in a couple of weeks. However, when I hear about all the stuff "behind the scenes" that RNs have to do, I start to wonder if that's not for me at all.

I really just want to go in, take care of my patients, and that is all. I guess I'm looking for a more "hands on" position rather than a beauracratic one. I don't want to go into management (although someday I might like to get my CNM, so I'll have to go deal with that at that time)

But for now, I would be happy with just bathing the babies, checking them out, caring for the moms, etc...

I don't know if I want to do some of the things I've read that RN's are having to do???!!!

So, I'm sorry that this is so long (I tried to keep it short with still being able to explain my background).... I knew you would all have some great advice...

For now, I'm still going to do the ADN route. At this point it will take me 3 yrs before I could start the program (2 yrs pre-reqs and 1 yr waiting after I apply)...

Hopefully by next year this time I'll know for sure and I can put my name on the 2 yr waiting list at our Vo-Tech for the LPN program if need be.

Thanks again for your help.... any more suggestions or advice would really be appreciated...

(sorry for all the """"'s, I hate doing that but it's hard to explain online what I'm trying to say)

Specializes in EMS, ortho/post-op.
Thanks everyone for your help... I had a huge post all written out and I deleted all but the two sentences that you saw as I didn't want to bore anyone to tears....

I graduated with a BS in 1996. (different degree).... I've always wanted to go back for nursing, but the timing was always off... (got married, had 3 babies, yada yada yada)..

============

So I've decided to go the ADN route. I've applied to our local CC and am starting my pre-reqs in a couple of weeks. However, when I hear about all the stuff "behind the scenes" that RNs have to do, I start to wonder if that's not for me at all.

I really just want to go in, take care of my patients, and that is all. I guess I'm looking for a more "hands on" position rather than a beauracratic one. I don't want to go into management (although someday I might like to get my CNM, so I'll have to go deal with that at that time)

===================

For now, I'm still going to do the ADN route. At this point it will take me 3 yrs before I could start the program (2 yrs pre-reqs and 1 yr waiting after I apply)...

Hopefully by next year this time I'll know for sure and I can put my name on the 2 yr waiting list at our Vo-Tech for the LPN program if need be.

Thanks again for your help.... any more suggestions or advice would really be appreciated...

Since you already have a BS, why not try one of the BS to RN programs? Emory U has one and I"m sure other big schools would too. That would also be a major step in the way to becoming a CNM and would save you a lot of time. Good luck, regardless of what you decide to do!

Christina

Since you already have a BS, why not try one of the BS to RN programs? Emory U has one and I"m sure other big schools would too. That would also be a major step in the way to becoming a CNM and would save you a lot of time. Good luck, regardless of what you decide to do!

Christina

The only program I know of around here that could bridge me from a BS to a BSN is about 1 hr away (no traffic) and with 3 kids... it's just not feasible... I have thought about it though... the U of M offers a program.... but it is very competitive to get in and my GPA in school was only a 3.2... I believe you need at least a 3.4 to even be looked at... :o

Thanks for the idea though.. it's something to think about...

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac.

Sounds like you have a good plan. If your goal is L&D and NICU, then you need to get your RN. Most LPN programs do not have an OB compenent that includes L&D or neonatal critical care. And most places will not hire LPNs in those areas. So end of discussion. :)

Sounds like the ADN would suit your goals just fine. If in the future you decide you'd like to get away from the bedside you can always get a BSN.

Good luck!

Thanks Tweety! You're awesome!

+ Add a Comment