Graduation Speech HELP PLEASE!!

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in pediatrics.

I was elected to give the short speech on behalf of my classmates at graduation! I have never had to do this! Does anyone have any ideas? Did you guys have a studnet speak at your ceremony and if so did they basically just thank the instructors??

Please help! :idea:

Thanks!

I would imagine it would be appropriate to reflect on the school year and what graduation means to you all. It is a honor to be asked to speak. You should thank the faculty for a great course. Include some specifics...like 'Thanks Professor Noodle, I'm certain none of us will ever be able to read ABGs without smiling to ourselves about your bad gas jokes.' It would also be appropriateto thank the families of the students for their support through out the school year.

Good luck and congrats!

Specializes in Emergency Department.

I am the student speaker for our graduation on thursday. If you would like I can send you a copy of my speech so you will kinda have an idea.

I was the graduation speaker 2 years ago at my nursing school. My speech was, "Nursing is a Team Sport".

Good luck,

oldiebutgoodie

I was the speaker for my class many years ago. That first response was good intoduce each instructor with something funny. try to use humor thru out the whole speech. Try to relate to the instructors and your classmates the audeince will not care about a boring subject. Good Luck

You'll do fine..just say it with heart! Also ....throw in some humor......it is what makes it memorable, my class speaker gave some funny scenarios from our clinical group...the whole school & audience was laughing outloud . Some of us even threw in humor in our little cards that were read outloud by an instructor as we walked up to be pinned.....One big, huge word of advice though...do not go on & on talking...our ceremony was great until the last campus speaker got up there.....she talked..and I am not exaggerating either......for a good 25 minutes.....and kept saying in conclusion about 10 times...to the point of the faculty suttly rolling their eyes as if to say shut up already......and even made off the cuff statements jokingly but we knew they really meant it about her looooooooooong schpiel. She sort of killed the excitement for us......other than that.....you'll be fine!;)

Specializes in pediatrics.

Thank you all for your responses! I am trying to be sincere and funny! I have one page down!! I guess I am just nervous about the whole thing! It will come to me! Thanks again for your input!!

In ours, our student speaker talked about the commitment that went into earning our degrees and told stories from over the years that she had heard other students telling each other.

Example: A girl miss her youngest kids first day of kindergarten.

Another girl had locked herself into the bathroom to study so that she could be alone and her kids would not bother her.

These examples made the speach personal and allowed the audience to "feel" and "see" what we went into!

Best of luck!!!!

Specializes in LTC,Home health, Med/Surg.

I spoke at our graduation & pinning ceremony. feel free to pm me and I can share it with you if you'd like. basically I did thank the instructors and families for thier contributions and then spoke directly to our class. ......

Hello, I see this is from one year ago. How did your speech go? Can you share any ideas with me or send a copy as a sample? It would greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I would love it if you could sens a copy to me also, I am needing to see some samples to get an idea of what to include, how personal to get, etc... thanks.

Hi. Would you be willing to send your speech so I can read it and start getting ideas for how to format mine? Thank you.

+ Add a Comment