Red Headed = increased bleeding risk?

Specialties Ob/Gyn

Published

Hi all! Yet another something I learned/heard at work and I don't know if its anecdotal or based in fact.

Has anyone else ever heard that red-headed patients are more at risk for bleeding/post-partum hemorrhage?

Specializes in ER, Teaching, HH, CM, QC, OB, LTC.

I've heard this & being a red-head I've had trouble clotting before. When all labs showed no problems other than anemia (poor diet)????? Things that make you go HMMMMM?????

I've heard this too, many many times. Of all the "true" red heads I've taken care of, I have yet to see a postpartum hemorrhage or increased bleeding. I think i've heard there is an increased risk of genetic clotting disorders with true red heads but i'm not sure and don't have any literature to back that up.

Specializes in Rehab, Step-down,Tele,Hospice.

I,m a redhead and definatly a bleeder. Does anyone have any scientific data r/t this subject?

I also have heard this said when I was out with the midwives. The one person I know who could ask said this was the case for her. I too would be interested in the science if any behind this. :rolleyes:

As a redhead, I've heard this too...and interestingly enough, I couldn't get an epidural because my d-dimers were off...but I think that had more to do with the pre-eclampsia than being a redhead. Poor hubby couldn't be in the room for my c-section...

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.

True natural redhead here. Lost very little blood both deliveries, even my csection, less than 400 ml.

HOWEVER I feel pain more intensely than most...and I have read studies that say this seems to be true. Wonder why....

Specializes in Trauma,ER,CCU/OHU/Nsg Ed/Nsg Research.

We did a study on both of these subjects (with red-haired females) where I used to work. I believe the bleeding study found that although the red-heads tended to bruise more easily, their coags were comparable to dark-haired female counterparts. If I remember correctly, the population sample wasn't very large, though.

As for the pain threshold study, we took a different route, and studied red haired females receiving anesthesia. They apparently required 20% more anesthesia than dark-haired or blonde females. I think it has something to do with the gene that is responsible for red hair and freckles.

I think it would be a good idea to research red-haired females and a propensity for MS. Have any of you noticed that most of your MS patients will be red-heads, or is it just me?

I am taking Maternal-Fetal Nursing right now & just the other day one of our instructors said that every L & D nurse will tell you that true redheads bleed more. A clinical instructor told us you won't find it in any textbooks, but to watch out for the redheads, because they tend to hemorrhage on you more often.

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.

I have NOT found that to be true (that redheads bleed more). I just have not, and I have been at this for 9 years now. So not EVERY L/D nurse will tell you this. It seems to be more anecdotal than proven, really.

wow! Thanks so much for all the responses. I, too, would love to see a link if there is one, to research on this.

As to the MS, I have read that it affects blondes and those in the northern hemisphere more often.

Specializes in L&D.

I really can't speak from experience, but my nursing textbook Maternal-Newborn & Child Nursing, London, et.al states that "women who are natural redheads tend to experience heavier bleeding after childbirth." No reference is given for this though. I also have a midwifery textbook that says something similar.

:specs:

Nikki

+ Add a Comment