Wenkebock Type 1 & 2

Nursing Students Student Assist

Published

Specializes in M/S Short Stay/TCU.

Does anyone know a good way to remember Wenkebock Type 1 and 2 heart blocks... I keep getting them mixed up......:eek:

Also , I want to ask... I need to seriously practice doing NCLEX style questions for my upcoming exams, hesi, final, etc. on critical care nursing, cardiac dysrthmias, ecg strips, etc. CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A SPECIFIC WEBSITE OR NCLEX BOOK that can help me wit practing such questions for my Critical Care Class.:typing

bariq~

this is what i have, i posted this in another thread on another forum but am posting it here also. i personally know of 3 websites that can help you with ekgs, arrythmias, etc. i am sure others know of more and maybe they can post them here also.

www.skillstat.com

http://www.rnceus.com/course_frame.asp?exam_id=16&directory=ekg

from cardiac monitors.com and dr. dale dubin a file on ekg interpretation and more--http://www.cardiacmonitors.com/reference_sheets.pdf

here is something i got from a co-worker who is attending nursing school.

it is actually on paper, not a file, with a husband/wife picture but i wanted to write it on here.

the story of the av block family

key:

p wave = wife

qrs = husband

pacer = counseling

normal sinus rhythm:

the wife (p wave) waits at home for the husband (qrs). the husband (qrs) come homes on time every night.

1st degree av block:

the wife (p wave) is waiting at home. the husband (qrs) comes home late every night, but he always comes home and its at the same time every night.

2nd degree block type i (weinkebach):

the wife (p wave) is waiting at home. the husband (qrs) come home later and later every night until one night he doesn't come at all.

note: husband (qrs) must come home at least 2 nights in a row to see this pattern.

2nd degree av block type ii:

the wife (p wave) is waiting at home. sometimes the husband (qrs) comes home, sometimes he doesn't. when he does come home, its always at the same time.

note: this is usually more serious than type i (weinkebach) and will sometimes require counseling (pacing).

3rd degree av block:

wife (p wave) is no longer waiting at home. she and her husband (qrs) are now both on separate schedules and have no relationship and they are no longer talking. each spouse has a regular, individual schedule.

note: this frequently requires counseling in the form of a temporary or permanent pacer.

i thought it was cute and wanted to share. hope it helps!

jadu1106 :heartbeat

Specializes in med/surg, telemetry, IV therapy, mgmt.

The weblinks for EKG and arrhythmias for students are posted on this sticky. Some of them do a very good job of explaining what the different arrhythmias are.

Specializes in tele, oncology.

Jadu...I love that!

OMG Jadu I am repeating that concept in my head, I absolutely love it. Thank you it will help me to remember and apply it....:up:

Specializes in ER/Trauma.

it is actually on paper, not a file, with a husband/wife picture but i wanted to write it on here.

key:

p wave = wife

qrs = husband

pacer = counseling

normal sinus rhythm:

the wife (p wave) waits at home for the husband (qrs). the husband (qrs) come homes on time every night.

1st degree av block:

the wife (p wave) is waiting at home. the husband (qrs) comes home late every night, but he always comes home and its at the same time every night.

the wife (p wave) is waiting at home. the husband (qrs) come home later and later every night until one night he doesn't come at all.

note: husband (qrs) must come home at least 2 nights in a row to see this pattern.

the wife (p wave) is waiting at home. sometimes the husband (qrs) comes home, sometimes he doesn't. when he does come home, its always at the same time.

note: this is usually more serious than type i (weinkebach) and will sometimes require counseling (pacing).

3rd degree av block:

wife (p wave) is no longer waiting at home. she and her husband (qrs) are now both on separate schedules and have no relationship and they are no longer talking. each spouse has a regular, individual schedule.

note: this frequently requires counseling in the form of a temporary or permanent pacer.

that was pretty neat. do you mind if i pass that along at work? :)

cheers,

that was pretty neat. do you mind if i pass that along at work? :)

cheers,

:up: hello roy:

sure you can use it and share it with whoever you like. i actually got it from a co-worker and am passing it along as well. :)

enjoy!

take care~!

jadu1106

Specializes in med/surg, ER.
bariq~

key:

p wave = wife

qrs = husband

pacer = counseling

normal sinus rhythm:

1st degree av block:

3rd degree av block:

i shared this with my classmates before our exam yesterday (part of it was cardiac). it helped so much!!!:yeah: thank you:d

This is what helps me remember:

This is what helps me remember:

HAH!

I was just about to paste that link!

i shared this with my classmates before our exam yesterday (part of it was cardiac). it helped so much!!!:yeah: thank you:d

:up: :) :D

annisme:

i am so happy for you! very glad to hear it worked for you and your friends! i was so amazed by it when i first read it also! i just knew i had to share it with allnurses.com! :D

best of luck to you!

+ Add a Comment