Uap / Lpn???

Nursing Students NCLEX

Published

Any clues to remember the UAP's and LPN's can and can't do ?

Biggest thing to remember: the UAP does not have a license of any type.

LPNs cannot do assessments, they requre an RN to do. Patient education is supposed to be by the RN.

Specializes in geriatric nursing.

LPN/LPN:

- assist with implementation of defined plan or care

- perform procedures accdg to protocol

- differentiate normal from abnormal

- care for physiologically stable patients with predictable conditions

- has knowldege of asepsis and dressing changes

- bility to administer medications varies with educational background and state nurse practice act

UAPs:

- assist with direct patient care activities (bathing, transferring, ambulating, feeding, toileting, obtaining vital signs, height, weight, I&O, housekeeping, transporting, stocking supplies)

- includes nurses aides, assistants, technicians, orderlies, nurse extenders

-scope of nursing practice is limited

RN dont delegate:

1.assessment

2.teaching

3.evaluation/judgement

kathykaye is right...

I took the Kaplan review course, and they summarized it really well:

-RNs need to EAT - Evaluate, Assess, Teach (LPNs/UAPs cannot!)

-LPNs get the stable/chronic patients... RNs get the unstable/acute patients

-UAPs can assist with ADLs

Now how about the "Floated RN" (e.g Ped Nurse to Med-Surg), do they automatically become like an LPN??? Do they still get the most critical ones or do they get the stable ones????

Now how about the "Floated RN" (e.g Ped Nurse to Med-Surg), do they automatically become like an LPN??? Do they still get the most critical ones or do they get the stable ones????

the supervisor of the unit will assess for the skill of the floated rn.. the floated rn will tell the supervisor her areas of strengths/weakness working in that particular unit...they'll be given stable patients with expected outcome..

the supervisor of the unit will assess for the skill of the floated rn.. the floated rn will tell the supervisor her areas of strengths/weakness working in that particular unit...they'll be given stable patients with expected outcome..

Unfortunately, it rarely works that way. That is how it should be done, but inthe real world, you get slotted in at the last minute because they were short, and the assignments do not get remade.

Unfortunately, it rarely works that way. That is how it should be done, but inthe real world, you get slotted in at the last minute because they were short, and the assignments do not get remade.

Ah, but the most important lesson that keeps ringing through my head as I do test preparation questions is "don't give 'real world' answers, give 'textbook' answers". The nclex wants textbook in every situation (and wow, some of those situations would never result in a textbook answer, but that's the one that's correct for nclex!).

I keep reminding myself "real world" is irrelevant when preparing for this test and I do much better on the questions :)

yup.. in answering nclex questions, it should be based on textbooks.. not 'real world' experience..

+ Add a Comment