AA lost battle to perform regionals in Ohio

Specialties CRNA

Published

Court in Ohio upholds BME rules prohibiting AAs from performing regionals, or central lines. I find this rather intersting. There seems to be a battle between AAs in Ohio and the Ohio ASA. Go to the AANA website under members section to see the ruling.

Specializes in Anesthesia.

In a nutshell:

"...the lower court erred when it interpreted the statutory language "assist" to allow AAs to perform epidurals, spinals, and invasive monitoring techniques. The board argued that the word "assist" has a plain and unambiguous meaning and the court should have given the term that meaning (i.e., to help or aid, but not to actually perform...."

Precision in language. As Twain noted, it's the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.

deepz

this is great now the ASA is seeing that AAs want independence as well.

"Be careful what you wish for you just may get it".

this is great now the ASA is seeing that AAs want independence as well.

"Be careful what you wish for you just may get it".

Nope. Never asked to be independent of anesthesiologists - you must have us confused with some other group of non-physicians.
Specializes in Anesthesia.
Nope. Never asked to be independent of anesthesiologists - you must have us confused with some other group of non-physicians.

Perhaps you have *us* confused with some other group, jrk. We are nurses here, CRNAs, SNRAs, and wannabees. Nurses. Check the heading on this ALLNURSES BB. Nurse anesthetists have been caring for the anesthetic needs of America's patients for some one hundred twenty years, which is roughly fifty years before the A$A was formed, and long before the doctors conceived of a handmaiden they lovingly named AA. ASSistant.

Independent of featherbedding physicians, as always,

deepz

Perhaps you have *us* confused with some other group, jrk. We are nurses here, CRNAs, SNRAs, and wannabees. Nurses. Check the heading on this ALLNURSES BB. Nurse anesthetists have been caring for the anesthetic needs of America's patients for some one hundred twenty years, which is roughly fifty years before the A$A was formed, and long before the doctors conceived of a handmaiden they lovingly named AA. ASSistant.

Independent of featherbedding physicians, as always,

deepz

Hmmmmmmm, last I checked, nurses were indeed "non-physicians"

I like having AA's and even the occasional anesthesiologist on here to look at different perspectives and to clear up misconceptions

JWK didn't you say that,Quote Actually, we offered to challenge the CRNA boards many years ago. Our request was denied. Was that for independence or just for fun or ?

JWK didn't you say that,Quote Actually, we offered to challenge the CRNA boards many years ago. Our request was denied. Was that for independence or just for fun or ? I see why they wouldnt let you you had to have an rn lic first.
Many moons ago, a group of AA's offered to challenge the CRNA board exam. No, they were not seeking independence, and no, they were not expecting to be CRNA's if they passed the exam. It was simply to try to make a point.
Specializes in MS Home Health.

I thought this was an alchololics (AA) thread. Wow I missed the boat......

renerian :rotfl:

+ Add a Comment