Rip-Off Workshop! CPNE close! Help!

Nursing Students Online Learning

Published

Specializes in geri-psych.

So I attended a CPNE workshop in Atlanta this past weekend. I paid almost $600. While I was there I met a woman who has failed the CPNE one time and is due to retake it in two weeks. She paid almost $600 as well. After the workshop she called Excelsior to clarify a few things that we had learned in the workshop and found many errors being taught...errors that would immediately fail a person. (from packing a wound wrong to writing error filled careplans)

I haven't received my test date yet, but I desperately want my new friend to pass! Any advice? Encouragement? Tips? She's been studying very hard and seems like a wonderful nurse. She made a few silly mistakes last time due to nerves.

BTW- If I decide to attend another workshop to prepare me for the CPNE, it will be an Excelsior workshop only!!! I wasted a whole weekend and a bunch of money. BEWARE!!!

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

I would address the issues with the workshop people -- at the very least, maybe a partial or total refund of your money is in order? I know -- who has time to deal with this stuff?!

If your friend has been studying the EC study guide, she'll hopefully do well, especially if she prepared for the first go-round. She should also contact the workshop person and address these issues and ask for some compensation. That is horrible ... :(

Print out my notes from the sticky about the CPNE workshop, and find "CPNE Notes from an Excelsior Graduate" and click on his link - a 20 page PDF of advice.

Specializes in NP / USAFR Flight Nurse.
Print out my notes from the sticky about the CPNE workshop, and find "CPNE Notes from an Excelsior Graduate" and click on his link - a 20 page PDF of advice.

Those are great!

I know its early for me, but I welcome any help I can get ;)

Specializes in LTC, Acute Care.

What workshop was it, if you don't mind telling us?

So often we hear only major positives about these workshops that I fnd it hard to believe there are no negatives. (EC's workshop has been dogged for high numbers of students, though.)

I printed out your notes and studies with my friend this afternoon. Thank you so much for posting those!!

What workshop was it, if you don't mind telling us?

So often we hear only major positives about these workshops that I fnd it hard to believe there are no negatives. (EC's workshop has been dogged for high numbers of students, though.)

I don't know if I can say the name of the workshop without any legal issues, but it's domain name sounds totally legit and it came up at or near the top of the list when I googled "cpne workshop atlanta".

The woman holding the workshop has no clue what she's talking about and she tells attendees that her pass rate is 100%. On the 3rd day of the workshop she encourages attendees to stand in front of a camera and say how much her workshop has helped them...so she can scam other people.

Specializes in LTC, case mgmt, agency.

Sorry to hear your workshop didn't fullfill your expectations. There are soooo many people who are out there to take advantage of our stress over the CPNE.:angryfire Hope your friend listened to the advise she was given after the first CPNE go around. Tell her she now knows what it's like and should remember the feedback. :up: I found the EC flashcards to be helpful, it narrowed my focus and put the critical elements simply.:yeah: Stress seems to be #1 reason for failures. Take a day to relax and focus on yourself as you prepare. I found that handwashing worked wonders for my nerves and best of all, it is also ASEPSIS. So I used a critical element to reduce my stress and refocus. Passed CPNE first time with no repeats. I did not take any workshops either. But I can honestly say, nerves almost did me in.:eek: I just kept thinking of advise I received about handwashing to refocus.:p

+ Add a Comment