Please Read Before Posting: Tips Regarding Distance Programs

Nursing Students Online Learning

Published

Specializes in Trauma,ER,CCU/OHU/Nsg Ed/Nsg Research.

Since this forum attracts a good number of new members daily, I thought it might be a good idea to post this sticky that addresses some of the more commonly asked questions here. That way, our new members may have a single area where they can find the answers to some of their questions, rather than searching all over the board for it.

**First and foremost, I would like to ask that our new members here refrain from posting your email addresses in your posts, when requesting assistance from current students, or when looking for study buddies. Please note that you are not able to use the email or PM function until you have 15 posts here at Allnurses. Attempting to work around that by posting your email address in your posts will only result in it being edited out by the moderators. Please see this thread for further information: https://allnurses.com/forums/f207/private-messages-available-after-15-post-315542.html

For any other technical questions, please go here for assistance: https://allnurses.com/forums/f128/**

Now for some answers to some of the most frequently asked questions here in the Distance Learning forum:

• Excelsior College is not an online program. It is a distance ed program, where you test out of the required courses, culminating in taking a clinical performance exam (CPNE) at the end.

• Excelsior (EC) is not accepted in CA. If you live in CA, you may want to consider Indiana State University's LPN-BSN program. Other states have stipulations regarding EC graduates. It is necessary to contact your own state's Board of Nursing to determine whether there are any restrictions in your state. See SBON contact info here if needed: https://allnurses.com/boards-of-nursing-info.html

• For EC, you can take the first 2 nursing exams before you enroll in the program. You must either be a paramedic, a LPN, or an ASN student, who has completed half the program.

• **The College Network, and other companies that say they'll get you your degree through EC or ISU are ONLY PUBLISHING COMPANIES. They DO NOT grant degrees, nor are they officially affiliated with EC at least. You most likely do not need to spend thousand of dollars on these publishing companies. Most likely, a quick check on Ebay for some of these guides will save you a lot of money, and you can avoid signing a contract.** EC provides free course outlines to their students, as well as practice tests on their website (for a fee). Those have proven to be better than anything for some, in studying for the exams.

• If you are a paramedic, or have very little nursing experience, you may want to consider doing a CPNE workshop, if you're an EC student. There are a few that are very reputable, and some of the current EC students here can direct you to the best ones. Lynn's & Tina's are well liked, as well as EC's workshop. There are a few snakes out there that will take your money, while not teaching you anything, so check before you sign up for any workshop.

• Yes, there is a long wait for the CPNE. It can be anywhere from 3-9 months. You can take the CPNE once you have finished all the nursing exams, and are within 9? credit hours of finishing your gen eds.

• No, there aren't any short cuts.

• Yes, EC grads do go on to work as RNs in the 'good' jobs.

• Yes, EC is accredited (NLN).

• If you see that someone was posting that they had study materials several years ago, they probably don't have them any more.

• Please don't post, wanting to buy or sell your TCN study guides- your post will have to be deleted by the mods

• It may be helpful to read through your CPNE study guide (all 500+ pages of it), note where you have questions, and post here for clarification. It seems overwhelming at first, but it does get better.

• There are many, many EC & ISU grads here that were happy with their choices to attend these schools.

OK, grads & current students: that's all I could think of for now. Please add your input or comments, and correct anything I was wrong on. ;) Whew!

If you are an LPN you will not have to take the second EC exam.

Super job, BBFRN!

Specializes in LTC, Acute Care.

Good job, BBFRN!

Since EC's ASN and AAS programs (the ones to become an RN) are exam-based programs, students in these programs are NOT eligible for federal financial aid. It has nothing to do with the quality or accreditation of the program--it is merely the structure of it that makes this so. If one is in the EC BSN program, however, since it is mostly online courses, it DOES qualify for federal financial aid.

Specializes in Psych, LTC, Acute Care.

Also if you apply to EC. Make sure you are registering for the right exams. If you enrolled before 10/07 you will take the NC1-7 exams. Anyone enrolled after 10/07, you are taking:

1. Essential in Health care safety

2. Health Differences(if you are not a LPN)

3. Essential in Chronicity

4. Essential in Reproductive Health

5. Health Difference Across the Life Span 1

6. Health Difference Across the Life Span 2

7. Health Difference Across the Life Span 3

8. Transition to the RN Role

9. Then 3 Focused Clinical Competencies Test that have

not been developed. Last I heard was Nov 08.

10. CPNE

IF you are under the new curriculum and you become CPNE eligible before the FCCA's come out, you can register for the CPNE and take the FCCA's later when it becomes available.

Specializes in LTC.

I have been searching the distance education forum, as well as Excelsior's site, and I am still confused on how exactly Excelsior works. Do you take and pay for classes through them that you don't have yet, and then take/pay for an exam seperately? Or do you only take the exam after self study to test out of the class? Anotherwords, do you take/pay for classes, then pay appx. $300 for each exam, or do you just self-study and take/pay for the exam? I am trying to understand what this will cost me and their website is confusing. I am a new LPN with a few months experience in a nursing home, but would like to find the fastest most cost effective way to get my RN. I am still paying for a college education I am not using from many years ago!

Specializes in LTC, Acute Care.
I have been searching the distance education forum, as well as Excelsior's site, and I am still confused on how exactly Excelsior works. Do you take and pay for classes through them that you don't have yet, and then take/pay for an exam seperately? Or do you only take the exam after self study to test out of the class? Anotherwords, do you take/pay for classes, then pay appx. $300 for each exam, or do you just self-study and take/pay for the exam? I am trying to understand what this will cost me and their website is confusing. I am a new LPN with a few months experience in a nursing home, but would like to find the fastest most cost effective way to get my RN. I am still paying for a college education I am not using from many years ago!

You self-study for the tests, which is only the cost of your materials. You then register for the test and then go take it. When you register, you have 9 months to take the test. The only required cost is the money for the test--the cost for the materials to study for it is variable. Many people buy older editions of textbooks or people keep their textbooks they already have and enrich with other materials as needed.

Consider that you may be able to fly through the tests but that the wait for the CPNE is rather long, anywhere from 5-9 months, depending on where you register. You sign up for the CPNE and start your wait AFTER all the nursing tests and the FCCA. It may be quicker than the traditional way, maybe not.

Specializes in Trauma,ER,CCU/OHU/Nsg Ed/Nsg Research.

There is also an enrollment fee. I'm not sure how much that costs now. It's good for a year, so if it takes you longer than 1 year, you'll have to pay another (lesser) enrollment fee for the next year.

Here's the fee schedule:

https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_College/Publications/Undergraduate_Fee_Schedule_2008_2009.pdf

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

The enrollment fee is $895, and the student services annual fee (SSAF) is $440.

I'm also attaching a quick-n-dirty comparison of old curriculum vs. new curriculum; this is a very high-level comparison, just based on section titles in the various EC exam content guides. But it's helpful if you're trying to use old-curriculum study guides!

AD_Nursing_Comparison.pdf

Specializes in LTC.

thank you for the information. i am just wondering why did i see something on their website listing class costs at $300/credit, which is seperate from the registering to take the test fee. maybe they just offer actual online classes for those that want them?

when you register for a class, do they provide a guideline as to what you should be studying?

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

They do offer online courses as well as the exams-for-credit. And yes, they offer exam content guides on their publications page.

Specializes in acute care, LTC, newborn, camp.

I am just beginning my search for a University that offers a post-grad degree to build on my MSN:edu/admin. I am considering teaching at a local college and they encourage their faculty to work toward their doctorate. Do not seem to have many options. Would LOVE to have a majority of the work on-line.... but at this point might have to consider other options. Any ideas?!

beender, post this question in the forum, specifically asking about doctoral programs. Few people at that educational level will be in this thread. Also ask in the Graduate Education Forum.

:)

+ Add a Comment