Interviewer asked about my GPA

Nurses New Nurse

Published

Specializes in Emergency.

I had an interview last week for an ER position at my first choice hospital and about half way through the interview, the nurse manager asked what my GPA was. It made me pause for a second because I thought no one cared about that outside of school. I told her the number and then she went on to ask me more questions.

Has anyone else been asked their GPA during an interview? I thought it was kind of weird! I always tried to make the best grades I could during school and now I'm glad I did.

BTW, I got the job!!! :nurse: I beat out 4 other people and I almost started crying when they called me with the job offer. I was in the ER during my preceptorship and I LOVE it.

Specializes in ED.

You will hear a lot that employers do not care about GPA, C=RN, etc etc. But I have found that some employers and specific managers do care about GPA. I know one hospital I applied to requested a transcript. I don't think it should be a huge deal because we all know that to get through nursing school is a hugh accomplishment, A or C's however, I do think that it should be looked at by employers. I know if I ever am a manager I will want to know a persons grades. I also am starting in an ED in July and also precepted there. I loved it and can't wait. I was not asked my GPA in the interview but I know she had my grades in my application packet because they requested transcripts.

Specializes in Adolescent Psych, PICU.

Yes! I started being asked about my GPA when applying for nurse externship jobs. This whole "no one will ever ask about your gpa" thing isn't always true.

Specializes in L&D.

I did 3 job interviews and 2 of them asked about my GPA. I was offered all 3, so I don't think it made a huge difference (my GPA is good but not perfect). It may just be something they use as a "tiebreaker".

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

Many employers want to get a comprehensive view of the candidates for the positions they have to offer -- and "comprehensive" includes an idea of how well you performed in school. Was this applicant a slacker? Did this applicant have trouble passing most classes? Was this applicant a star performer? etc. That information is added to all the other information known about the applicant to help make the final decision.

I doubt the GPA is the main factor considered for most employers, but it can be helpful.

I just applied for an externship that required a transcript. Just because someone can maintain a 4.0 GPA, doesn't mean they have a good bedside manner, doesn't mean they don't have a good bedside manner either. However, if you're looking at 2 applicants, one with a 4.0 and one with a 2.5, the one with a 4.0 will probably get the interview. You don't know the circumstances each of those applicants were under during nursing school. The one with the 4.0 may have had all the time in the world to study, or maybe not. The one with a 2.5 may have been working full time with 2 small children, or may have had all the time in the world. Who knows? I just don't think it's right to judge by someones GPA, especially before you even interview the person.

I just don't think it's right to judge by someones GPA, especially before you even interview the person.

I think it is OK to judge by GPA-- atleast as the initial judgement. Think about the nurse recruiters that get millions of applications and resumes sent in that are similar credentials but have different GPA's... I think it's fair to ween out people this way. I've worked my butt off thus far in my classes and my GPA shows that. I work a full time job and am very busy so I want my grades to count for something.

Specializes in LTC, Rehab, Skilled Nursing, Management.

I've wondered if I might be asked my GPA during the course of interviews, so it's good to hear that this isn't a far out there question.

Although I do think GPA says something about you, I also think it's not the best way to judge. I know I've had some instructors that have *much* more difficult tests than others. Some tests I walk in pretty much knowing exactly what will be on the test (and the review they gave pretty much gave the answers). Other tests I've walked in knowing I need to know ALL the info (and there was no review). Also, some courses are graded differently....with exams being weighted differently than the homework and quizzes. So....GPA isn't completely objective, IMO.

Specializes in LTC.
:twocents: If you got a 4.0 then good for you. But if your grades are less than perfect, then proudly tell the interviewer what you earned. If you worked hard for the grades that you earned then don't be ashamed of your GPA or try to justify why it isn't higher.
:twocents: If you got a 4.0 then good for you. But if your grades are less than perfect, then proudly tell the interviewer what you earned. If you worked hard for the grades that you earned then don't be ashamed of your GPA or try to justify why it isn't higher.

I think about my GPA 16 years ago as a GN. If someone would have asked my GPA back then I probably wouldn't have been the one picked for the job-:redpinkhe it wasn't stellar-passed the boards first time and am working on my MSN now.

There were a couple 4.0 GNs that did not pass boards first time and after passing boards did not make it through one year as a nurse....

A high GPA doesn't make a great nurse and a low GPA doesn't make a bad nurse......:D

Wow, thats deep. I didn't know employers asked about your GPA. I guess if you completed the program and have your nursing license, showing your transcript or GPA is not so bad. After all that schooling, what do you have to be ashamed of?

Good luck!

If I'm a patient, and I get to pick between the A nurse or the C nurse, you bet I'm gonna pick the A nurse!! Wouldn't you??

+ Add a Comment