Moving to Quebec or islands from the states?

World International

Published

Hey all! I am looking to move to the American Northeast (i.e. Maine or Vermont, etc.), Quebec, or the Nova Scotia/Newfoundland area when I graduate with my BSN in Spring 2009. It seems far off, but with kids and finding a job for dh, I need to start early! Does anyone know how easy it is to move to Canada as a new grad with your nursing degree? Are there a good amount of jobs? Is there any opportunity for affordable MSN programs for midwifery or other NP programs if you are not from Canada? Thanks!

Montreal requires that you pass the French exams, you will have a specific time frame to complete the exam in, or lose your job there.

You will qualify for the NAFTA TN Visa if you wish to go that route, but you will need to go thru their licensing process, and each province has their own requirements, just like each state here.

Montreal requires that you pass the French exams, you will have a specific time frame to complete the exam in, or lose your job there.

You will qualify for the NAFTA TN Visa if you wish to go that route, but you will need to go thru their licensing process, and each province has their own requirements, just like each state here.

Thank you! I used to be very fluent in French (I have spoken it since I was a child), but I definitely need a refresher! :mad:

The language exam is notoriously difficult even for fluent french speakers. I'm bilingual (father's side is french), but don't know if I could pass it because it's the medical language that's really tough.

Quebec and the maritimes aren't known for great opportunities as far as nursing jobs right now. They have fairly low pay and not enough full time work for some.

Hi there,

I`m new to this.. so bear with me. I`m from Newfoundland originally. While it`s a beautiful place, jobs are scarce !! I now live in Montreal , Quebec.

They need nurses here and I had heard that changes had occurred concerning the french exam.You might want to check out the website for the Ordre des infirmieres et infirmiers du Quebec.

Good luck:)

As far as MSN programs go for NP, if you are from out of the country tuition is quite steep. Undergrad out of country tuition can be up to $10,000. Your best bet is to get your MSN in the US before coming up!

Not sure about costs for midwifery school, in Canada you do not need to be a nurse to be a midwife.

Specializes in OBS, OR, ER.

Official full time posts are hard to find in montreal for some reason many of the posts are .5 but you can easily get full time hours.

I work in a small community hospital in LDR and we provide almost all care up untill delivery when our doctors come in and it happens at times that we do our deliveries. One of our nurses was even a midwife in england for a bit.

Since you will have your BSN just think about wether that is enough or do you feel you need that extra?

I must say the exam in quebec in notriously hard but even some girls who have questionable french skills, and they got it after the third time. Good luck with your choices, would be happy to work with you one day

:)

Specializes in CCU.

I am also considering to move back to Quebec from the states.

I did my nursing in the US, am fluent in French, therefore the exam should no be too difficult. I will have to review the abbreviations (I am wondering if there is anything on line regarding theses??? BTW), and certainly review the health system there.

I imagine that may be someone has come up with a book review for people like us. Does anyone know?

My main concern is that I am wondering if I need a bachelor degree to work in ICU's which is not required here in NY state. Any comments?

We are also very independent here, I wonder how it is in Quebec? The best thing that I could do would be to shadow or visit a few ICU's next time I go back home. Anyone interested in Quebec city???

Thank you so much!:nurse:

Specializes in School nurse, primary care.

Hi!

I'm a OR nurse in Montreal, I'm french but I work in a english hospital, we really need nurses here in Montreal and you don't need nothing either than be a nurse, even just graduate gets full time job, mostly in english hospital, it is very easy to get job in ER, ICU, float, OR. I'd be glad to help you with the abreviations in french, I'm having a hard time to figure out all the abreviations in english! Last week, a nurse where I work made fun of me by sending me a specimen with the abbreviation FTC...I was trying to figure out what it was until she tells me...for the cat (meaning it was not the good specimen)...:o))...`For the exact information about the rules to be eligible to work in quebec go on the site of the quebec nurses...http://www.oiiq.org. Good luck!!

Specializes in CCU.

I am glad to hear that you are doing so well in MTL!

I am looking more for Quebec city (near brother) or will check out on the map if I could work in the states near QC city and do the drive.

The pay is better in US that's for sure. I'll keep you posted. I have time.

As for abbreviations, I do not know what FTC means, other than a shipping company! Here is a link for abbreviations references, you could laminated them on a card and carry it around with you. I would look at the end of some medical dictionaries such as Taber's and photocopy the acronyms. If I had a scanner I would e-mail you what I got here, I could always send you a regular mail if you want.

http://www.efn.org/~nurses/acro.html

+ Add a Comment