Calling the police - page 2

We have been having some problems as to certain ED cases that need to be reported to the police. It use to be that we would call the police with any ATV and MVC. Now I have been told that we can't... Read More

  1. by   Tink RN
    In the sate I work in, we have to report all MVCs (motor vehicle collisions) and all assaults (abuse, altercations or rape) to the police department. As for injuries sustained from animals, we have to report them to DHEC for follow up as well as the police if the injuries are significant or the victim is not the owner of the animal. It is also mandatory that ALL suspicions of any type of child abuse or neglect be reported to DSS.

    P.S. My husband prefers powdered donuts. LOL
  2. by   flashpoint
    LOL...Our cops aren't allowed to snack or have coffee with us...the police chief considers it a bribe and they aren't allowed to accept. :-)

    We call the police for any MVC, assault or suspected assault, animal bite, suspected abuse, knife or gun wound...other things I can't think of right now.

    Now if you want to attract firefigters and EMTs, set out the food...we'll be there...and the guys I hang out with will eat anything! :-)
  3. by   VictoriaLeavitt
    Reportable events, and to whom they are reported vary from state to state.
    For example in Washington we are not mandated to call police for knife or gun wounds - however we track these events for the health department yearly statistics.
    However, I believe every state nurses, along with other professions are mandatory reports for abuse of a child and/or a vulnerable adult. Domestic violence is another matter - the victim decides is they want the police involved.
  4. by   petiteflower
    Originally posted by cotjockey

    Now if you want to attract firefigters and EMTs, set out the food...we'll be there...and the guys I hang out with will eat anything! :-)
    lol cotjockey., I do volunteer fire and ems and we will eat anything!!!!!

    We call police for about the same as florida does. We had some confusion with all the HIPPO stuff (i hate it so I call it that) but if it is reportable in your state, then you have to report it. We just have special disclosure forms to fill out to put with the chart to record what information was given to whom.
  5. by   canoehead
    If it's reportable, we report it, and provide name, address, and DOB, but nothing about the injuries or particulars of the accident. The cops go in and do the investigation themselves.
  6. by   JBudd
    PD brought in a problem patient, which we took care of with minimum fuss to them........very grateful so I laughed and said WE wanted donuts. They came back 10 minutes later with 2 dozen. Love those jelly donuts:kiss :roll
  7. by   caroladybelle
    Originally posted by babs_rn
    I have been blessed out so many times by inebriated patients coming in after an MVA because I called the police - they took it personally. I would explain to them that iI was legally required to report any MVA (among other things, pretty much same as FL, here in GA) but I would never admit to them how secretly pleased I was to do so when they were acting like drunken fools and endangering lives out there on the road.
    Did you also explain that if they continued to "bless you out", you would be happy to call the cops again if any threats made - to haul their threatening derrieres to jail/charge them?

    A few drunken rears in jail might get the point across that nurses are not to be abused and that drinking and driving don't mix.