DNP vs MSN

Students NP Students

Updated:   Published

what-benefits-dnp-over-msn-degree.jpg.368e2052b8cc0b124f9fda7e811f15af.jpg

Does anyone know what benefits a DNP offers over an MSN degree? I'm looking into being an NP in Women's Health and curious about which degree would be the best for me.

Trauma Columnist

traumaRUs, MSN, APRN

97 Articles; 21,237 Posts

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

Lots of factors to consider:

1. How old you are?

2. Do you ever plan to teach? To gain tenure?

3. What's your ultimate goal? 

4. Do you desire a terminal degree?

 

I've been an APRN for 16+ years now. I have an MSN in management and leadership and two post-MSN certificates: adult and peds CNS. I did start a DNP program but found the idea of doing another 600+ hours of clinical (after being an APRN for >12 years at that time) to be depressing (don't wanna work for free). I have no desire to teach so dropped out. No additional pay either and that was the eventual end of my pursuit of the DNP. 

Everyone's story is different though so maybe you have a solid reason to pursue a DNP?

Specializes in Fertility.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

I am 28 years old. Have been working in an IVF clinic for just over a year now and love it. I have no interest in going into academia. I think I would like to stick with the clinical practice and interact with patients. Perhaps open my own clinic one day? (Can be autonomous in the state of WA).

I was recently accepted into an MSN program at Emory and was in the process of applying to the DNP program at UW but was feeling a bit discouraged. The DNP program is 3 years and does not allow for part-time studies, so I was trying to decide if that program was really worth it for me

Trauma Columnist

traumaRUs, MSN, APRN

97 Articles; 21,237 Posts

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

Got it. I knew I wanted to do clinical stuff only when I did my MSN and post-MSN certs. Besides, I was in my 40's when I went back to school so DNP just really didn't appeal to me. Good luck at Emory

Guest1144461

590 Posts

On 9/2/2022 at 8:06 PM, RN_BSN_MSN said:

Thanks so much for the feedback!

I am 28 years old. Have been working in an IVF clinic for just over a year now and love it. I have no interest in going into academia. I think I would like to stick with the clinical practice and interact with patients. Perhaps open my own clinic one day? (Can be autonomous in the state of WA).

I was recently accepted into an MSN program at Emory and was in the process of applying to the DNP program at UW but was feeling a bit discouraged. The DNP program is 3 years and does not allow for part-time studies, so I was trying to decide if that program was really worth it for me

IMO part time, half-a** and flexible NP studies are a bane of the profession. There should only be full time. Tell me about all the part time PA and MD programs...they don't exist. 

Personally, I don't see the value of a DNP but its getting pushed hard, if you are going back to school just now I would just gut it out.

ChrisHanson

13 Posts

On 9/9/2022 at 7:50 PM, Numenor said:

IMO part time, half-a** and flexible NP studies are a bane of the profession. There should only be full time. Tell me about all the part time PA and MD programs...they don't exist. 

Personally, I don't see the value of a DNP but its getting pushed hard, if you are going back to school just now I would just gut it out.

You don’t see the value of a DNP but the people paying Them over 200K do.
The legislature giving them full scope also see their value. 

Guest1144461

590 Posts

On 11/24/2022 at 5:14 PM, ChrisHanson said:

You don’t see the value of a DNP but the people paying Them over 200K do.
The legislature giving them full scope also see their value. 

Ah yes providing the illusion of competency to non-medical politicians for lobbying power. Classic

Tegridy

583 Posts

Specializes in Former NP now Internal medicine PGY-3.
On 11/24/2022 at 8:14 PM, ChrisHanson said:

You don’t see the value of a DNP but the people paying Them over 200K do.
The legislature giving them full scope also see their value. 

Medical school wasn’t even that expensive. 

ChrisHanson

13 Posts

NP school was 28 grand.

ChrisHanson

13 Posts

On 11/27/2022 at 2:19 AM, Numenor said:

Ah yes providing the illusion of competency to non-medical politicians for lobbying power. Classic

The pay where I live goes from $92 to $133 an hour. I am not sure where these rumors of RNs making more than NPs come from, but the jealousy has to stop. NPs made their move and they have the same scope as an internal medicine physician. They have surpassed PAs by a mile. Your envy and grandiose sense of entitlement does not change reality.

Unfortunately, for you, your pay takes a hit with NPs having your scope. Let us know how medical school turned out for your. I always like to know how my peers are doing. 

Tegridy

583 Posts

Specializes in Former NP now Internal medicine PGY-3.
34 minutes ago, ChrisHanson said:

The pay where I live goes from $92 to $133 an hour. I am not sure where these rumors of RNs making more than NPs come from, but the jealousy has to stop. NPs made their move and they have the same scope as an internal medicine physician. They have surpassed PAs by a mile. Your envy and grandiose sense of entitlement does not change reality.

Unfortunately, for you, your pay takes a hit with NPs having your scope. Let us know how medical school turned out for your. I always like to know how my peers are doing. 

Fortunately most hospital credentialing boards think otherwise. Scope is just a snuff term used by nursing but in most cases doesn’t really mean anything. Credentialing determines what you can and can’t do and I don’t see any NPs taking IM jobs from us since most couldn’t come close to handing the responsibility. 

Guest1144461

590 Posts

10 hours ago, ChrisHanson said:

The pay where I live goes from $92 to $133 an hour. I am not sure where these rumors of RNs making more than NPs come from, but the jealousy has to stop. NPs made their move and they have the same scope as an internal medicine physician. They have surpassed PAs by a mile. Your envy and grandiose sense of entitlement does not change reality.

Unfortunately, for you, your pay takes a hit with NPs having your scope. Let us know how medical school turned out for your. I always like to know how my peers are doing. 

Dunno where your delusion is coming from, but 99.9% of the NP community doesn't even make close to that. Travel nurses on the other hand hit that regularly.

Yeah, the same scope and woefully inadequate for that scope.

What envy? I am a fellowship-trained NP (trained in a 1-year fellowship program alongside IM MD residents in the exact same rotations) and have been one for years.

Peers? So are you a physician or not? OR just a random troll account?

By using the site, you agree with our Policies. X