Jump to content

Columbia SON MDE 2019

School Programs   (92,878 Views 428 Comments)
by Glal2 Glal2 (Member) Member

835 Profile Views; 21 Posts

You are reading page 35 of Columbia SON MDE 2019. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

1 Follower; 214 Posts; 4,016 Profile Views

MDE Graduate here. That's an exaggeration :) I have friends who went to the gym every other day and some even worked part time jobs in the city. You do what you can with your time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 Posts; 208 Profile Views

8 hours ago, abcdenrse said:

And no time to eat or sleep too. That's the price for stuff 74 credits in a one year program instead of two.

They didn’t verbatim say there is no time for gym but they did say you will have VERY little time for other things. Because you will be busy and sometimes have 10 hour days between school and clinicals 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 Posts; 208 Profile Views

Hey I’m applying to Columbia for this cycle. I am worried about the cost, but they do have the program where a hospital will pay for your tuition if you commit to work there for x amount of years after. I spoke with a woman that graduated last May from the MDE portion, she did this program. I forgot the name of it. But it is a HUGE financial commitment. I am going on the tour of the nursing program soon but this is 1000% the program my heart is set on. I also cannot move so I have to stay in ny. I too am worried about the cost 😩😩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Follower; 214 Posts; 4,016 Profile Views

My classmates and I recently completed the MDE program and it was not all that pretty. The reality is, you will take a long time to pay back the loans, especially when you begin to work and your coworkers went to BSN programs and graduated with minimal debt. Columbia's program is 72 credits in 15 months, which is rigorous but I didn't find it difficult because more than half the classes were just bs. The last summer was a mess, with the exception of Advanced Pharm. All of us were complaining about paying an additional 22k for 10 weeks to sit around and waste our time. There are better schools, depending on what you're looking for. There are affordable schools. The great thing is nursing is flexible and you can enter this profession through different routes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 Posts; 208 Profile Views

On 9/2/2019 at 2:12 PM, The_Salty_Cat said:

My classmates and I recently completed the MDE program and it was not all that pretty. The reality is, you will take a long time to pay back the loans, especially when you begin to work and your coworkers went to BSN programs and graduated with minimal debt. Columbia's program is 72 credits in 15 months, which is rigorous but I didn't find it difficult because more than half the classes were just bs. The last summer was a mess, with the exception of Advanced Pharm. All of us were complaining about paying an additional 22k for 10 weeks to sit around and waste our time. There are better schools, depending on what you're looking for. There are affordable schools. The great thing is nursing is flexible and you can enter this profession through different routes. 

Thank you for this! I would love to learn more about the program even tho I am applying for August 2020. My options are limited because I have to stay in nyc, moving is not an option for me. I have met several NPs and an MSN that graduated from the program and they all said good things but said yes it is expensive. Is it true that there is a program that you can do through the hospital where they pay your tuition by you work for them for x amount of years? One of the MDE graduates told me this. I appreciate any advice you can offer! I’m praying I get into this program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Follower; 214 Posts; 4,016 Profile Views

Just now, Aw1992 said:

Thank you for this! I would love to learn more about the program even tho I am applying for August 2020. My options are limited because I have to stay in nyc, moving is not an option for me. I have met several NPs and an MSN that graduated from the program and they all said good things but said yes it is expensive. Is it true that there is a program that you can do through the hospital where they pay your tuition by you work for them for x amount of years? One of the MDE graduates told me this. I appreciate any advice you can offer! I’m praying I get into this program. 

I am not sure who told you that, but that is the rare option. I cannot recall anyone in my cohort who had this option. Some hospitals are decreasing tuition reimbursement as we speak and you do not know what will happen when you graduate in October 2021. There are a lot of nursing programs in the city that are much more affordable, if price is a concern for you. Mt Sinai has a good nursing program, SUNY, Hunter...etc. One thing a lot of people never considered is how long they will spend paying back the loans - it only hits a month before you finish the program and people start panicking. Think about your expenses and life goals. Good luck to you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 Posts; 208 Profile Views

1 hour ago, The_Salty_Cat said:

I am not sure who told you that, but that is the rare option. I cannot recall anyone in my cohort who had this option. Some hospitals are decreasing tuition reimbursement as we speak and you do not know what will happen when you graduate in October 2021. There are a lot of nursing programs in the city that are much more affordable, if price is a concern for you. Mt Sinai has a good nursing program, SUNY, Hunter...etc. One thing a lot of people never considered is how long they will spend paying back the loans - it only hits a month before you finish the program and people start panicking. Think about your expenses and life goals. Good luck to you! 

Thank you for responding! I have been trying to message you for months but my account will not let me. Hunter is insane with their nursing program. I just graduated from Hunter with my Bachelors in Psych they have a 3 years wait list for their nursing program smh. CUNY in general would be so hard for me to get into I feel like. I know I don’t have the most amazing stats but I just want a fighting shot, I also have all the prereqs for Columbia. I am extremely worried about the price. Veryyyy. Will you be doing the DNP with them if you don’t mind me asking ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Follower; 214 Posts; 4,016 Profile Views

1 minute ago, Aw1992 said:

Thank you for responding! I have been trying to message you for months but my account will not let me. Hunter is insane with their nursing program. I just graduated from Hunter with my Bachelors in Psych they have a 3 years wait list for their nursing program smh. CUNY in general would be so hard for me to get into I feel like. I know I don’t have the most amazing stats but I just want a fighting shot, I also have all the prereqs for Columbia. I am extremely worried about the price. Veryyyy. Will you be doing the DNP with them if you don’t mind me asking ? 

Nope! A lot of us left because we did not want to enter the DNP with 6 figure debts. There are other schools outside of NYC that are more affordable. You can look into other states. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 Posts; 208 Profile Views

The issue I’m having is I have done ALOT of research. I have not come across any other school that allows you to get an MSN then DNP, as a non nurse, that is in New York. Every other program I have come across allows you to go from non nurse to BSN, which is absolutely fine. The issue is you cannot go from BSN to DNP...and from what I have seen NP is moving towards having a doctorate and not a masters. My primary issue was that I did not want to pursue 2 bachelors, I would like to just get the MSN. But the issue of course is the HUGE price tag!! It’s always something ! Anyway I’ll see where my applications take me 🤷🏽‍♀️ I have my heart set on one place lol wish me luck !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

135pipe has 1 years experience.

33 Posts; 859 Profile Views

I graduated from UT Austin nursing amazing school, well renamed institution, and amazing city in everyway, but it's in Texas so be wary of ignorance. Austin sucks for nursing pay, but that degree willl take you places. Now I am at Sloan Kettering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41 Posts; 322 Profile Views

hey guys. New to this thread. I applied to Columbia coming from University of Miami and I'm just wondering how competitive it is? I've read that it has an acceptance rate of around 30%. Anyone know if this is true? My GPA is around a 3.4 so I'm not sure if that's good enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

64 Posts; 342 Profile Views

Hi. I’m wondering for the video interview, can we read off from screen or should I look directly at the camera? I tried to memorize all but I always forgot/stuck...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×