Jump to content

Chamberlain College of Nursing Sacramento fall 2019

Chamberlain College   (3,454 Views 72 Comments)
by EWKstudent_nurse EWKstudent_nurse (Member)

796 Profile Views; 47 Posts

advertisement

You are reading page 5 of Chamberlain College of Nursing Sacramento fall 2019. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

93 Posts; 316 Profile Views

On 4/6/2019 at 1:21 PM, Dani_Sanchez777 said:

@Lady2020 hi there! I’m gonna try to answer the best that I can.

I always knew I was going  to go to private route for nursing school. My options were Holy Names, Samuel Merritt and Chamberlain. I live in the Bay Area and I work at a reputable organization and according to our hiring managers (nurses), they are looking for your license and that you have a BSN. Our company will no longer be hiring ADN grads unless they are currently getting their BSN. In our area, Samuel Merritt has a great rep. I chose Chamberlain because I am also about to be 30 and for me to get into a public school could be another 2-5 years. I’m personally in a situation at my job where all I need to do is get my degree and I’ll have a lot of help getting into a job / new grad which is an absolute blessing but that’s why I’ve prioritized getting in sooner because I do have job security.

I think what it really comes down to, maybe with your friends, is learning style and perhaps personality conflicts? I know for my current school I constantly butt heads with the teacher because she expects us to learn everything from reading and I’m a hands on learner and it just doesn’t work for me which leads me to feel like I’m literally teaching myself everything.  

Also, with any nursing school, be prepared to travel up to 100 miles for clinicals. It’s just how the game goes. I know some community colleges maybe don’t, like Sierra college I believe they did a lot of Roseville rotations and even some in Elk Grove. But it’s literally a toss up. Personally I’m fine with it I know it’s temporary and for my own good. Also when you travel to different cities, you’ll hit a different demographic of people. For example if you come to Walnut Creek you’ll get a different demographic of patients than you would at Highland Hospital which is Oakland’s county hospital. It’s good to do that, at least in my eyes, because you really get a feel for what you like and different opportunities you might not get somewhere else? Just a diff perspective. 

I also went to western career college (now carrington) and I actually got a job right away with Sutter in SF. However I know some of their RN’s that don’t have a BSN don’t alwahs get the jobs they want. My other sister in law got her ADN and works at the prison in Ione and that works for her but she is going back for a BSN somewhere else. 

You just have to do what works best for you at the end of the day. If you can afford to wait a few more years and go to a CC, you will save a ton of money and get a great education. If you want to go private, find a way that it works for you. It will all fall into place in the end just as it should ❤️

Well I mean.. one of my friends is one of the hardest working people I know. I took 3 classes with her in college A&PI, A&PII and Micro. So I trust her judgement when she says the teachers suck. The other friend is I never went to school with, so I don't personally know her study habits.

 

Good luck!

Edited by Lady2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

93 Posts; 316 Profile Views

On 4/6/2019 at 8:33 AM, EWKstudent_nurse said:

Hey @Lady2020, so I know 4 people going through the program at the Sacramento campus. They have said nothing but amazing things about the professors and said they are set up to succeed. Before tests, there is a review session held in the CAS center. I also know 2 people that have graduated from there and got jobs with local hospitals almost instantly. The Sacramento campus has a 100% NCLEX pass rate which really stands out to me, so if it’s hard it must be do able and worth it since it prepares you for the board exam. I think all nursing schools would be hard. I’m not sure what the full price of chamberlain is but I know if you transfer all the pre reqs and get financial aid the program comes out to about half the price tag. With grants, it may go down even more. To me a BSN-RN is worth it because you will make more money, and have more opportunities to grow. My mom who is a nurse says that by 2022 they will be phasing out LVNs and ADN-RN and only hiring those with a BSN-RN so if needed in the long run, why not invest in your self now?

I have family members that work for Kaiser and Sutter and they said that’s a Chamberlain students are actually really eager to learn and have said nothing but great things. I even know a recent graduate from this program that was just offered a ft position w/ benefits at a hospital in this area.

As as far as clinical commuting goes I was told the first clinical for everyone is one 12 hour shift/week at a clinic in Lodi, after that they will become more local and shouldn’t travel further than Sacramento or Davis(on rare occasions). All the people I know in the program love their clinical sights and have been to Sutter hospitals , Dignity Health, Vibra Hospital and I think Kaiser (not 100% sure about Kaiser) all within the Roseville/Sacramento area. With any program you’re going to have to commute a little depending on where you live. 

I think all schools require you to pay within 6 months of graduating. At least that was the case with my medical assisting degree as well as the state school I attended before applying to Chamberlain. 

I can’t say anything about applying to other schools because up until this next fall the only program I could apply to is Chamberlain since I have pre requisites in progress. I applied to chamberlain last year, and was rejected since they only have 30 spots. However, I did go to delta for my associates degree before moving back to roseville and it sounded like a good program, I know MJC has a program as well as Stanislaus State. 

I believe they only had one graduating class because they are so new. So the 100% NCLEX pass rate, which is based on 30 students, is not something that excites me. Also were you able to verify this? Because I am not able to find this statistic online.

I've checked here and nothing.

https://www.rn.ca.gov/education/passrates.shtml

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VANurseCA has 5 years experience as a LVN and specializes in BA clinical psychology/ ER dept.

17 Posts; 70 Profile Views

21 minutes ago, Lady2020 said:

Well I mean.. one of my friends is one of the hardest working people I know. I took 3 classes with her in college A&PI, A&PII and Micro. So I trust her judgement when she says the teachers suck. The other friend is I never went to school with, so I don't personally know her study habits.

 

Good luck!

Lady2020  It sounds like you have already made your personal decision about where you are not going to apply. As far as your friend that says the teachers suck- maybe your friend did not choose the right fit for his/her learning style,  or maybe it is just a personality conflict .    But lets not attack others choices or try to take away others happiness based off of your opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

47 Posts; 796 Profile Views

@Lady2020

Hey! So at the open house they were really clear that the campus is so new that the BRN board NCLEX pass rates wouldn’t be up until the 3rd class graduated which I believe is sometime this month per one of my friends that already graduated. If you’re curious it shows on their website that their national NCLEX pass rate was around 88-90% I can’t remember exactly. So to me that’s really good! I know people through my job that have went to Sac state for nursing , ARC, Sac city and many other colleges. They all have their opinions on the programs strengths and weaknesses and personally having to teach myself isn’t out of the ordinary because I have done this with most if not all of my pre requisites. I have heard from people I work with and read a lot on this forum that nursing school is basically teaching yourself so to me this isn’t a shock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

93 Posts; 316 Profile Views

Just now, VANurseCA said:

Lady2020  It sounds like you have already made your personal decision about where you are not going to apply. As far as your friend that says the teachers suck- maybe your friend did not choose the right fit for his/her learning style,  or maybe it is just a personality conflict .    But lets not attack others choices or try to take away others happiness based off of your opinions.

I don't have a personal opinion. Also I am not attacking anyone. I simply shared what two of my friends said, thats it. Im sorry that makes you unhappy but I am sharing what I've been told. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VANurseCA has 5 years experience as a LVN and specializes in BA clinical psychology/ ER dept.

17 Posts; 70 Profile Views

24 minutes ago, Lady2020 said:

I believe they only had one graduating class because they are so new. So the 100% NCLEX pass rate, which is based on 30 students, is not something that excites me. Also were you able to verify this? Because I am not able to find this statistic online.

I've checked here and nothing.

https://www.rn.ca.gov/education/passrates.shtml

Lady2020  Being a new program is not necessarily a bad thing . Yes, they have one graduated class, but to have the class pass at 100% on first attempt NCLEX says a great deal about the quality of the education. Yes, you can verify this information online.  Lets all be respectful of each others decisions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

93 Posts; 316 Profile Views

Just now, EWKstudent_nurse said:

@Lady2020

Hey! So at the open house they were really clear that the campus is so new that the BRN board NCLEX pass rates wouldn’t be up until the 3rd class graduated which I believe is sometime this month per one of my friends that already graduated. If you’re curious it shows on their website that their national NCLEX pass rate was around 88-90% I can’t remember exactly. So to me that’s really good! I know people through my job that have went to Sac state for nursing , ARC, Sac city and many other colleges. They all have their opinions on the programs strengths and weaknesses and personally having to teach myself isn’t out of the ordinary because I have done this with most if not all of my pre requisites. I have heard from people I work with and read a lot on this forum that nursing school is basically teaching yourself so to me this isn’t a shock. 

Yeah of course nursing school is going to be hard anywhere you go. I have over 150 college units (mostly science) and I can say that a teacher plays a huge role in student's success. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

93 Posts; 316 Profile Views

2 minutes ago, VANurseCA said:

Lady2020  Being a new program is not necessarily a bad thing . Yes, they have one graduated class, but to have the class pass at 100% on first attempt NCLEX says a great deal about the quality of the education. Yes, you can verify this information online.  Lets all be respectful of each others decisions.

How did you find this online? I agree 100% NCLEX passing rate is a good sign they are doing something right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VANurseCA has 5 years experience as a LVN and specializes in BA clinical psychology/ ER dept.

17 Posts; 70 Profile Views

Ewkstudent_nurse

This particular post was created with the intent to connect with our Sept cohort correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

47 Posts; 796 Profile Views

Yes! I was hoping to meet and connect with future class mates before the first day of school 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VANurseCA has 5 years experience as a LVN and specializes in BA clinical psychology/ ER dept.

17 Posts; 70 Profile Views

1 minute ago, EWKstudent_nurse said:

Yes! I was hoping to meet and connect with future class mates before the first day of school 

So anyway to block people who are not in that category?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dani_Sanchez777 has 6 years experience and specializes in Urgent Care.

20 Posts; 211 Profile Views

@Lady2020

I apologize if my response offended you in any type of way. That was not at all my intention. What I was saying is that college is not a one size fits all type of thing which you know I’m sure. Even for myself, I have never performed well in community college classes until about last year. I had to figure out the system and it took me forever. My learning style and the general / popular teaching style clash and I find it hard to enjoy and thrive in certain learning environments; especially if it’s not hands on. I also have a curious and inquisitive personality and that can annoy some teachers but I personally don’t care that it does. I’m there to learn and they’re there to teach. Bottom line. I can’t help if that bothers them that I’m a student that needs a little extra TLC when it comes to my education 🤓.

 I also know I have to put in extra work in office hours or tutoring if a teacher isn’t teaching according to my needs. I’ve had some not so wonderful professors... I’m sure everyone has and if they haven’t, they will. But, it’s all temporary. That’s what everyone needs to keep in mind. Not to get distracted by the negatives in the situation but to find a way to persevere and rise above regardless of the circumstance and stay focused in the goal and not be distracted by the person. Remember, when you get on the floor, you have no clue what type of charge nurse or docs you’ll end up with.. even preceptors. It ultimately comes down to how you choose to view and create your experience.

I hope that your friends’ experiences completely turn around and transform into something enjoyable and exciting for the rest of their time at Chamberlain! I hope their next professor, or professors, are able to change the game and make learning exciting for them! I also hope that the perfect program falls right into your lap and that it will be undeniably the perfect fit when it happens because it will happen.

Sending you tons of well wishes and good luck as you are on the road to becoming a nurse! Rooting for yah!

Dani 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing 0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×