Jump to content

BSN Recommendation Letter

I am having a charge nurse write my recommendation letter and he told me to draft one myself and show it to him.

I have no idea what to write. Any ideas/advice?

Thank you.

Job history - anything health care related

Education

Why you want to be a nurse and when did you know that you wanted to be a nurse

BSNbeDONE, ASN, BSN, LPN, RN

Has 34 years experience. Specializes in Med/Surg, LTACH, LTC, Home Health.

Wow! I think your charge nurse wants you to write your own LoR so that all he has to do is sign it. Is he the one who does your evaluations? If not, maybe the one who does would be better equipped to handle the task. This person has inside info on your attendance, work ethics, and work relationships (what your colleagues are saying about you), and personal/professional goals.;)

klone, MSN, RN

Has 14 years experience. Specializes in Women's Health/OB Leadership.

reneexoxo said:
Job history - anything health care related

Education

Why you want to be a nurse and when did you know that you wanted to be a nurse

It's a letter of recommendation, not a resume.

How would her charge nurse know about when the OP first realized s/he wanted to be a nurse? This letter is supposed to be written through the viewpoint of the charge nurse.

I know it's not a resume. Clearly I can read. By telling the charge nurse why she wants to be a nurse will give the charge nurse a better understanding of her as an individual; hence, making it easier to write the recommendation

BeachsideRN, ASN

Has 2 years experience. Specializes in NICU.

BSNbeDONE said:
WOW!! I think your charge nurse wants you to write your own LoR so that all he has to do is sign it. Is he the one who does your evaluations? If not, maybe the one who does would be better equipped to handle the task. This person has inside info on your attendance, work ethics, and work relationships (what your colleagues are saying about you), and personal/professional goals.;)

This happens everywhere in healthcare. I work for 3 surgeons and they all typically ask for the recommendee to draft a letter and provide their CV. The doctors add stuff to the letter as they see fit, then I - as their assistant - do the final editing, get a signature and mail it off.

BSNbeDONE, ASN, BSN, LPN, RN

Has 34 years experience. Specializes in Med/Surg, LTACH, LTC, Home Health.

Hmmmm.......so several people composing one letter and submitting it as the thoughts of one.:down: That sounds so dishonest and lazy on behalf of the person who signs it. It also sounds like an agreed-upon, plagiarized group project....but ok. I just I'm still very naive to the way of the world after all these years on earth and in healthcare.:blink:

LadyFree28, BSN, RN

Has 10 years experience. Specializes in Pediatrics, Rehab, Trauma.

reneexoxo said:
I know it's not a resume. Clearly I can read. By telling the charge nurse why she wants to be a nurse will give the charge nurse a better understanding of her as an individual; hence, making it easier to write the recommendation

However, a recommendation does not include the "why" in becoming a nurse; that would be in an essay letter.

OP, if you still need to find a recommendation letter, look to Google for some good examples; tailor it to your information, and go from there.

What I said is my opinion and I'm entitled to it

LadyFree28, BSN, RN

Has 10 years experience. Specializes in Pediatrics, Rehab, Trauma.

reneexoxo said:
What I said is my opinion and I'm entitled to it

That's fine...I'm stating facts of what is in a professional recommendation letter. 🙂

OP, tweak this and make it work:

ImageUploadedByallnurses1409054722.313483.jpg.fe30ebebc3c7d223c5a705549576bd51.jpg

LadyFree28, BSN, RN

Has 10 years experience. Specializes in Pediatrics, Rehab, Trauma.

430960860_ImageUploadedByallnurses1409054722.313483(1).jpg.6b0191729a3aa0e5ee29c5abfbce602d.jpg

There's more than 1 template of how to write a recommendation. Just because you believe you know the facts/find 1 example on google doesn't mean you know anything 😃

LadyFree28, BSN, RN

Has 10 years experience. Specializes in Pediatrics, Rehab, Trauma.

reneexoxo said:
There's more than 1 template of how to write a recommendation. Just because you believe you know the facts/find 1 example on Google doesn't mean you know anything 😃

That's true too; however, being in this business for 14 years, going through a PN and a BSN program, I have some what of an idea of what a recommendation letter entails; and it doesn't include "why I want to be a nurse"; that is mostly an essay response, it's more of:

"I know this person, worked with this person, this person will be a great for in nursing school because of their willingness to learn and this aspects of their personality (listed aspects) will be a great fit for your program."

Feel free to disagree if you must, but I am helping the OP to see what will be the best recommendation letter, up against many that will have letters such as these; I think it's fair that the OP should be in the best position, correct, instead of worrying about what we say amongst ourselves tags are strictly opinions. :whistling:

Strictly opinions, yet your using everything in your power to make it known that your response is correct and mine is wrong. Frankly, I'm not on here to go back and forth with you.

LadyFree28, BSN, RN

Has 10 years experience. Specializes in Pediatrics, Rehab, Trauma.

reneexoxo said:
Strictly opinions, yet your using everything in your power to make it known that your response is correct and mine is wrong. Frankly, I'm not on here to go back and forth with you.

And neither am I...

I stated how I felt and then you have decided to point out my own suggestions; I'm placing my knowledge of what a a recommendation entails due to my experience, for the OP's benefit; however, you've decided to take it in a certain way, almost personally, instead of just taking the information and use it as how you wish to use it, either disregard and move on; or take the knowledge, and share it, as most posts on here are handled, professionally.

As the old adage and is widely used here on AN "There for the grace of God go I..."

Best wishes.

And back to the meat of the thread to benefit the OP. :yes:

×

By using the site you agree to our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies.

OK