Best laptop/operating system for WGU coursework?Register Today!
- by boogalina Jul 25I'm planning on a 9/1 start for a RN-BSN. I need to either purchase a laptop or iPad (or other tablet) prior to that date so I have a dedicated device that I can keep my academic life on.
So, recommendations? Cost is not as big a concern as best fit to all the required WGU activities (whatever they may be).
- 1,540 Views
- I primarily use a chromebook with chromeOS and it has worked for everything except the online proctored webcam assessments.
Also the online webcam assessments don't support Windows 8, but supposedly they will starting August 3rd. I'm waiting until sometime in August to buy a new Windows 8 computer. Until then I'm borrowing a friends laptop with Vista for when I need to take proctored webcam assessments.
I highly recommend a tablet, they're so much better to read from, especially after a long time. Definitely get an HD or Retina display it makes all the difference.
- See, I don't think I would like a tablet, because I type about 80 wpm, and working on a tablet would severely curtail the speed at which I can write papers. And there are a lot of papers.
- So you would need a separate device for writing. DOesn't seem very cost effective to purchase a tablet *and* a laptop or PC for a school program, which is what the OP is asking about.
- I still highly recommend it. A year of reading from a tablet vs a year of reading from a computer makes it an easy choice in my mind. Reading on the computer screen is just so horrible, or maybe it's just my computer? Maybe a nice mid range computer would have a nicer screen than I have?
- Jul 26 by boogalinaThank you all! I think I'll spring for a tablet for the reading...saw a coworker at work last night who goes to WGU with her tablet, which she LOVES for reading the assignments. So I'm convinced!
I'll probably also get an inexpensive laptop as well.