New Grad Student, need hospital sponsorship to obtain residency

  1. 0

    i am a new grad student. i will be taking my nclex in the summer. i have a special circumstance.

    i came to the u.s. when i was only 5 years old. my family currently has an approved petition to obtain legal residency. throughout college i was an ab540 student, meaning i am undocumented.

    now that i am graduating, i am really having a hard time finding a job. i chose nursing because in the past hospitals have granted nurses permanent residency. i was hoping to take this route. however, now i know that hospitals are not that desperate for nurses anymore.

    does anyone have any recent information about hospitals sponsoring nurses? what us states would i have most luck in finding this opportunity? i need some advice. should i just go back to grad school until something changes?

    Get the hottest topics every week!

    Subscribe to our free Nursing Insights newsletter.

  2. 11 Comments...

  3. 0
    Skilled Nursing Facilities I know sponsor. Go to each one and see if they will sponsor you. That's your best bet. Just go to each facility and each hospital. Good luck!!
  4. 2
    Grad school won't help you without some actual experience. You'll just be overqualified for RN jobs and underqualified for graduate level jobs.

    Unfortunately not being a citizen is a massive hit on top of a market that is already massively depressed. You may have luck in extremely rural, undesirable places such as Pecos, Texas and along the Mexican border. Look into other places where people generally don't want to live and you might be able to find something. But given that there are plenty of actual citizens trying to find work, it is unlikely you will find sponsorship right now.

    Best of luck.
    SE_BSN_RN and HouTx like this.
  5. 0
    Thank you so much! That's a real great help!!
  6. 1
    Unfortunately in CA, there's already a lot of nurses looking for work who are already citizens or permanent residents. So unless you can bring something truly extraordinary to the job--and with all due respect, you're a new grad so I doubt that you can--you're at a big disadvantage as far as a lot of facilities go. Many won't want to go through the hassle of sponsoring you when they can easily fill the position with a citizen. It's a bad job market all around.

    I agree with the other poster: try skilled nursing facilities.

    Best of luck!
    SE_BSN_RN likes this.
  7. 0
    With retrogression you have up to 6 years wait. And the state of CA requires a SSN for the nclex.
  8. 0
    Thanks, I know CA is having a rough time. I'm going to look at different states as well.
  9. 1
    I would look into the local hospital in Pecos, Texas. I know for a fact that they were willing to sponsor another foreign nurse not too long ago.

    By the way, all of your threads have been merged into one discussion.
    Last edit by TheCommuter on May 25, '12
    Esme12 likes this.
  10. 1
    Due to retrogression sponsorship is taking 6 plus years and it doesn't allow you to work whilst waiting. If you have a specialty they may be willing to go the H1b route however the employer has to foot all the bills, file now and you can not work until October and usually a interview is required
    Esme12 likes this.
  11. 0
    Quote from newgradtitan
    Thanks, I know CA is having a rough time. I'm going to look at different states as well.
    Welcome to AN! The largest online nursing community.

    The economy in the United States is tough all over. Not many acute care facilities will fund you in the sponsorship when there is a plethora of applicants for every position.

    I wish you luck in your search.

Nursing Jobs in every specialty and state. Visit today and Create Job Alerts, Manage Your Resume, and Apply for Jobs.

A Big Thank You To Our Sponsors