Employment after having report on group one
- 0Hi everyone,
I have read several different posts about group one but I still have a question. For those of you who live in the DFW area and who had something negative posted on your group one, were you still able to secure a job at one of the big hospitals?
I used to work at a downtown hospital about six years ago as an LVN. I was terminated due to attendance within the first six weeks. I had a lot going on at that time and unfortunately couldn't manage everything at the same time. Something had to give. My group one states discharged. It does not, however, state that I am not rehirable. I called the hospital and they said if I talked to someone they could change my status and I could probably work there again.
I am now a GN and I applied at a different hospital and I really want the position but I don't want this mistake from the past to come back and haunt me.
Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.
- 1Their website is Background Screening Services, GroupOne.
They are a reporting agency for many major hospitals in the Dallas/ Ft. Worth area. Your past employer can report to them the reason for your termination and attach a statement. Many hospitals pull this report when they offer you employment and may deny you employment based on what is in your group 1 report.
- 0Jun 7, '10 by CaLLaCoDeHave you tried asking group one for any of the information they have on you? Finding out what it actually says about you? Or if unsuccessful, having a business such as one you know or one that a friend works for asking for the information?
Or getting a lawyer. Don't we have a right to know these things?
- 1Hi CaLLaCoDe, I have a copy of my report. It says exactly what I mentioned above. There are no personal statements attached. It just says discharged for attendance, that's all. It also states that everyone is rehirable as long as it doesn't violate company policy or something to that extent.
My manager knew my circumstances at the time. I just had not been able to turn in a notice due to other conflicting interests. My position only lasted six weeks with this particular facility.
- 0Jun 7, '10 by TheCommuter Asst. AdminGroupOne's telephone number is 972-719-4208.
Perhaps you may wish to call them, pay a small fee to request that a copy of your report be sent to you, and start the process of disputing any negative information that might appear. You are protected by the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Good luck to you!
- 0Aug 5, '10 by caroladybelleQuote from AggieNurse99The Groupone check is different than a "standard" background check. And various places may run background checks through different agencies all of which may have differences in data. And different groups may nix you on certain issues, while another may not. Thus, while the same issue may get a "pass" by school, it may not let you "pass" to work for some employers.Chances are if you went to nursing school around DFW, that's also where your background check was - and you wouldn't have gotten into nursing school if you didn't pass the background check.
And if the job that got the OP listed with Groupone occurred AFTER nursing school, whether the OP passed a background check before nursing school is irrelevant.
It might be best for the OP to find out what facilities use Groupone ( not all do) and avoid applying to those.
The other issue, is even those places that do not use Groupone will run references and the being let go for attendance in the first 6 weeks of a job, is going to look bad and get him/her dinged from a job, especially in this economy.