Knoxville, TN - Page 2Register Today!
- Feb 20, '07 by mmutkWell I can pass on some info based on the places I have worked.
Baptist- Good working environment, so\so pay, poor management, low self esteem company, good benefits, good educational dept., parking sucks.
Baptist West- Do not apply here, poor working conditions, no security force on campus (because it's faragutt and police are not pretty), poor management, internists that kill patients in their ICU on a daily basis, and no job security.
Parkwest- New clean hosptital, ok pay, nice cafe makes working there a plus, a busy 40 bed ER keeps the Unit and OR hopping. Poor benefits though, and parking sucks there too. But my choice of the three.
Knoxville however is starting to look like Memphis (remember that lawsuit against the hospitals there) UT, St Marys, Covenant, and Baptist have all gotten together and compared pay rates in an effort to keep base pay rates low. I was at a conference in KY one time and they were all sitting together at the same vendor booth. What do you know.. all the hosptials offered the same $17.10 starting rate for new grads...
- Feb 26, '07 by mmutkIt's because all the hospitals in east tennessee have gotten together to control the market. It is illegal and like what happened in Memphis one day someone will sue them for it.
- Mar 12, '07 by SouthernurseBaptist Downtown is Kingdom Hospital straight out of Stephen King's mind. What a pit of evil. I love St. Mary's, though I hear it has gone downhill a little bit. There is a plethora of nursing homes, and Hillcrest is not called Hellcrest for no reason. Best of luck.
- Apr 13, '07 by TnValCNABaptist West is a zoo... totally mismanaged and understaffed.
ParkWest is great to work for but, the parking situation is unreal.
(I would still be working for them if not for that very reason!)
Methodist Medical in nearby Oak Ridge is the only union hospital
within the Covenant Health System and is good to their employees.
E.TN is a beautiful place to live.
- Apr 13, '07 by TnValCNAQuote from Southernurse:roll:yeahthat: :chuckleBaptist Downtown is Kingdom Hospital straight out of Stephen King's mind. What a pit of evil. I love St. Mary's, though I hear it has gone downhill a little bit. There is a plethora of nursing homes, and Hillcrest is not called Hellcrest for no reason. Best of luck.
- Apr 14, '07 by vdazesThis does not pertain to jobs in east tennessee, although I have enjoyed reading it. I have a job interview at fort sanders and one at baptist and it gave me a little heads up. This is a question about the stupidist thing I have ever done in my life. I got a dui 0.08 in jan of 2006. I was not in nursing school at the time. I am not a drinker. My evals have all been excellent and I have definately learned from my mistake. I am applying for my RN boards in the next weeks and just wondering, how do I handle this situation?
- Apr 15, '07 by Mommy TeleRNvdazes - has your school had you fill out the app for your license yet? We just did ours and there is a place for convictions of offenses other than minor traffic violations. You give a brief description of the offense and attach whatever it is the court gives you .. I didn't pay that close of attention because it didn't apply... you could talk to your dean of nursing because they help you apply. There are several students in our class that had some type of incident they had to report..so I don't think it's all that uncommon. You will have to do another background check too and be fingerprinted as part of the application process.
- Sep 26, '11 by shakanurseQuote from ZiggyCLNCUniversity of Tennessee hospital is a NO NO. Management does not back you up. They are interested only in Press Ganey and celebrating their 50th anniversary. Morale is down the drain, pay is poor, orientation is non existent. They promise bonuses then tell you "we didn't make our operating budget--but keep up the good work". Staffing is very poor. Medication mistakes are covered up. I could go on and on. Try somewhere sthat your skills will be appreciated and rewarded!
Thanks for the post! Just reading it 5 years later. And now they are applying for Magnet Status!?! During an interview, they want you to say that Magnet Status relates to pt satisfaction rather than from the nursing stand point of the facility. They also say that you will never have over 2 pts in the ICU, but it never fails...You end up with 3 really sick pts...UTMCK does not deserve Magnet Status! Just venting here...lol Aloha!