I'm scared to be a nurse? Thinking about leaving before starting

Nurses Career Support

Published

So I'm starting day 4 if orientation at a new facility that I really like. But I'm scared I can't handle being a nurse. I'm not a big talker and the families like to talk a lot and very demanding. I'm slow with my med pass because I'm constantly checking the meds over and over. I'm unsure about the paper work, Documentation and so many other things. It's 19 patients so far and I'm just afraid and I can't get a hold of it. I'm so worried about my license. The nurse orientating me was sick so I basically did everything myself but was slow. I don't think I have what it takes or nor do I have critical thinking. The thought of being in my own is terrifying. I'm currently an lpn so really basically stuck with LTC right now. Until I get my RN

Whoa there! It's been four days. You're a new nurse. Ask anyone on here and we'll all pretty much agree this is absolutely normal. You're gonna feel scared, stupid and unsure. Critical thinking, confidence and all that comes with time and experience. Keep going. You'll be fine. Best wishes

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).

What TruvyNurse said.

As a auto mechanic friend of mine said when I was rebuilding my antique truck and became frustrated with myself, "Everything is difficult before it becomes easy".

Go easy on yourself,mzsuccess, and keep on keeping on!

Specializes in Case manager, float pool, and more.
Whoa there! It's been four days. You're a new nurse. Ask anyone on here and we'll all pretty much agree this is absolutely normal. You're gonna feel scared, stupid and unsure. Critical thinking, confidence and all that comes with time and experience. Keep going. You'll be fine. Best wishes

Totally normal to feel that way. You are ok. Breathe. Most nurses feel somewhat the same way the first year oe two. I know that sounds like a long time but each day, each shift you feel begin to feel that much better, that much more confident. Keep going. You got this.

I would be TOTALLY worried if you posted "I'm a new nurse at a new facility and 4 days later I got this!" :) What you are feeling is perfectly normal. Just take the big tasks and break it down into steps just like in school until you get more comfy in your practice. You are doing fine!

I would be TOTALLY worried if you posted "I'm a new nurse at a new facility and 4 days later I got this!" :) What you are feeling is perfectly normal. Just take the big tasks and break it down into steps just like in school until you get more comfy in your practice. You are doing fine!

EXACTLY!

Thank you but I ask a lot of questions because I want to know and provide safe patient care. But I'm an event idk what to do I'm scared of liking like an idiot. Plus I'm one of the youngest nureses there.

Totally normal to feel that way. You are ok. Breathe. Most nurses feel somewhat the same way the first year oe two. I know that sounds like a long time but each day, each shift you feel begin to feel that much better, that much more confident. Keep going. You got this.

Lol yes it does. I'm so thankful for this advice.

Specializes in Case manager, float pool, and more.
Thank you but I ask a lot of questions because I want to know and provide safe patient care. But I'm an event idk what to do I'm scared of liking like an idiot. Plus I'm one of the youngest nureses there.

Age does not matter. Please ask questions. As long as you are not asking the same questions over and over and over again, it is all good.

Specializes in LTC, Rehab.

No worries! You say you like the facility. You're new. You say you're 'slow' because you're checking the meds a lot - well, that shows you're conscientious and are trying to do things right. You'll get faster. One step at a time, and one day at a time. Hang in there.

No worries! You say you like the facility. You're new. You say you're 'slow' because you're checking the meds a lot - well, that shows you're conscientious and are trying to do things right. You'll get faster. One step at a time, and one day at a time. Hang in there.

Yes I do! Thank you so much

Here's something you should consider about your "critical thinking" skills. Right now you are doing the most important thing a new nurse should know to do: you are asking other nurses for help and advice. We DON'T eat our young, though there are a few old crusty nurses that may try. The rest of us just want you to communicate, and are more than happy to guide you. As I tell my preceptees, I much more appreciate if you bring a problem to me early than for me to have to clean up your mess later. Having the wisdom to acknowledge your fears and reach out to others is a much better trait than being someone who thinks they are smart enough to go it alone, no matter how competent they might be.

+ Add a Comment