Can you be a PHN if you are a new grad?Register Today!
- by mybabies2000 Apr 15, '12Can you be a PHN if you are a new grad? Do new grads get hired in the public health nursing or do you require 1 year of exp as a RN. I am RN BSN. Thanks for any input!!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=697726©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 6,555 Views
- Apr 15, '12 by loriangel14Where I live you need a Masters to work in public health.
- Apr 15, '12 by DEgalRNWhere I live you can start in public health with the state as a new BSN, I think it's very dependent on state and agency.
- Apr 15, '12 by MeriwhenI think you only a need a BSN to work in public health in California, so it may be possible as a new grad. But that's something you may want to double-check with employers or the CA BRN.
- Apr 15, '12 by caliotter3I met a new nurse at my LTC facility in CA several years ago. She was a new grad. She did not stay long at our facility before she was hired into a PHN position. So I would have to say it is possible to get a PHN job in CA as a new grad. At least it was in that instance. As a matter of fact, a few years later, I met another new grad RN who did the same thing in another area. She was only at our facility for a few days before she took the new PHN position.
- Apr 15, '12 by mybabies2000Thanks everyone!! I am based in seattle WA so will check with the department. I am sure there is huge # of applicants since it seems like everyone wants to be a PHN. but will try my luck out!!
- Apr 17, '12 by troop949From what I've seen on job postings here in Georgia, you need 5 years experience as an RN or you can have a master's in PH plus 1 year RN experience.
- Apr 26, '12 by sugarlipsI am a new grad and was just hired as a PHN for the county in California. I have a BSN, as well as my PHN license. I have yet to start, so not sure how much training I will be getting, but I will be working with chronically ill children coordinating resources and making sure they are getting the proper attention needed.
- Apr 26, '12 by mybabies2000Thank you so much for all the respone. I am trying to re-enter nursing after 13 years and would like to work in public health setting only..
- Apr 27, '12 by wish_me_luckYes! I am getting ready to apply for a couple of public health positions and I was told to go ahead. My heart soared upon hearing that because that is where my heart lies. :heartbeat