Words and phrases that I didn't know before I became a psych nurse - Page 2Register Today!
- Sep 15, '12 by MrChicagoRNQuote from RNsRNotOutORNSeveral decades of experience, never heard any of those beforePsychosomatic GhostHumpty Dumpty HeadDinosaur WisdomYou had'em but then you got rid of'em so you didn't have'emI had not heard of these peculiar words arranged in this fashion until I got into psych nursing.
- Sep 19, '12 by Feistneuthymic
- Sep 21, '12 by chevyv4 points
polydipsic (really, never heard or worked with pts that have polydipsia before psych)
- Sep 23, '12 by cherubhipsterI work with a nurse who was once on the phone with a doctor and said "I think the pt is experiencing retarded dyskinesia." AMAAAZING!
- Sep 23, '12 by MeriwhenQuote from cherubhipsterKeep in mind that the word "retarded" doesn't always refer to developmental issues (like they used to say "mentally retarded" in the past to refer to someone who was developmentally disabled--that use of the word isn't considered appropriate anymore).I work with a nurse who was once on the phone with a doctor and said "I think the pt is experiencing retarded dyskinesia." AMAAAZING!
The word can also refer to something being delayed or slowed. In this case, he may have been referring to a delayed reaction.
- Sep 29, '12 by nola1202"thanks for sharing."
- Oct 6, '12 by K.P.A.from the EMTs: "nutted up" = decompensated
usually with a groan: Cluster B or Axis II
- Oct 6, '12 by psychazOn the east coast we usually assessed for SI/HI (suicidal ideation/homicidal ideation), but in AZ we assess for DTS/DTO (danger to self/danger to others).
- Oct 6, '12 by MeriwhenQuote from K.P.A.Most of the time the person cuts straight to chase and says, "it's a borderline." That one little word can convey so much.usually with a groan: Cluster B or Axis II
- Oct 7, '12 by canned_breadWe learnt that terminology in nursing college, however I think a lot of it goes away when people work in med/surg etc. I remember learning about "Word salad" and thought it was a funny word. Then I saw it in action when doing a psych rotation and thought that was the most apt word for what I saw in that poor man.