Should I still apply to Nursing schools even if I do not have healthcare experience?Register Today!
- by esalandy Sep 28, '11I am a senior at a 4 yr college and I am getting ready to apply to nursing schools to pursue a BSN but I do not have any healthcare experience and i am scared I do not get in because of that but my GPA is a 3.5 and I have done really well in all my pre-reqs.
- Sep 29, '11 by sugarmagnoliaRNA lot of schools don't take experience into consideration during the application process. Look into what specific schools in your area require in terms of pre-reqs and entrance exams, as a lot of schools have different requirements Good luck to you!!
- Sep 29, '11 by sugarmagnoliaRNPS the short answer there is YES definitely still apply with no healthcare experience!
- Sep 29, '11 by willowitaYes apply! My dad got into a BSN program with no healthcare experience. I have none myself but will apply anyway.
- Sep 29, '11 by bigboiI know many people who went into nursing because the recession forced them into it. I'm not saying thats what you're doing. Essentially, many people get into nursing without healthcare experience. There are a few at my hospital.
- Oct 1, '11 by vicRNtoriaI am currently in nursing school and I was accepted with no patient care experience!
- Oct 1, '11 by DFWgalQuote from esalandyWhat about volunteering to get an idea of what you're getting into? (If it worries you )I am a senior at a 4 yr college and I am getting ready to apply to nursing schools to pursue a BSN but I do not have any healthcare experience and i am scared I do not get in because of that but my GPA is a 3.5 and I have done really well in all my pre-reqs.
The programs I've checked don't require previous experience in healthcare. With good grades, you'll be fine
- Oct 2, '11 by pc2801Yes, apply! I'm changing careers at 35.
I was already done with all my pre-requisites when I ended up in the emergency room this year. I didn't like my experience, but will remember some basic things I had already learned in my pre-reqs and pharmacology course. I ended up having my first "real" surgery (I'd had wisdom teeth before and colonoscopy) and staying overnight in the unit after to control my pain and blood pressure. I hope my experience as a patient will lead me to be a better nurse. I start school in January.
- Oct 3, '11 by FutureNeoNursingYou can get into nursing school with no healthcare experience,as most of us is new to this field. With your good grades and overall g.p.a,u should be fine! Just check with your local nursing program to find out admission requirements....
- Oct 4, '11 by Eagle2110As someone said, check with your school. The schools I've applied for don't consider it. And every nurse I know didn't have any, your chances look good without it. God bless