Just accepted into my 1st choice ABSN program, BUT......Register Today!
- by PennyS Jan 3classes start in less than 2 weeks! I was placed on the waitlist this past May and did not hold out much hope that a spot would open. Over 300 applicants for approx. 32 spots. My plan was to reapply for a Jan 2014 start date and in the meantime, I have sent off applications to other area accelerated programs for a Summer 2013 start. Imagine my surprise today when my phone rang and they offered me a spot! I am completely overwhelmed and I am so scared of making the wrong choice. I have made out a list of pros and cons and the pros definitely outweigh the cons. My husband is awesome and is telling me to go for it. One of the biggest cons is arranging childcare as I have 4 young children but he said we would make it work. I already asked if I could defer until the next start date but was told no and I would have to reapply. There really is not going to be much change in my situation (home, financial and otherwise) between now and next January except that I would have more time to mentally prepare myself as well as arrange financing (another big CON). But the sooner I start, the sooner I graduate and hopefully get a job!
Ahh....someone tell me what to do?!
- Jan 3 by MusicToMedicineWow, what an exciting problem to have! Well, my instinct is to tell you to go for it. There's no guarantee that you'll be accepted to the Summer 2013 programs. Could you forgive yourself for waiting if you end up wait-listed (or worse, rejected) for summer 2013? I'd also call the school and talk to them about how to arrange financial aid at this late date. And being a mom and wife myself, I get the stress of trying to arrange childcare in such a short amount of time. But it can be done! As long as you can find a way to pay for everything, I think you know what you should do. Good luck!
- Jan 3 by SycamoreGuyI've never been one to give up a sure thing. I say go for it!
- Jan 4 by PennySThank you! I am leaning that way but I am terrified!
- Jan 4 by zoe92I say go for it!!!
- Jan 4 by SopranoKrisDon't look a gift horse in the mouth....GO FOR IT!!! Yes, you're right. The sooner you start, the sooner you'll be done. This school was your 1st choice for a reason. You still have 2 weeks to get childcare arranged. Get on it and get it all set up.
What wonderful news! Good luck in nursing school
- Jan 4 by Nurse2b7337Congrats!!!!! Wooooohooooo celebrate girl!!!! I've always been given the advice of "go with yr first thought". Well, you applied to this school first for a reason. The fact that you were wait listed and you STILL were going to re-apply says something too. Go for it!!!! Congrats again!!!
- Jan 4 by Lolita34Congratulations!!
- Jan 4 by prettymicaGo for it. When I was accepted in the LPN program in 2008, I got an email that Friday and the program start date was the upcoming Monday. I had tried to prepare before hand as much as I could but sometimes you cant. Thankful I told my job it could happen at anytime and they rearranged for me to work weekends only. I was planning on driving there every day as it was 87 miles from my home(gas was over 4 bucks a gallon) and I looked at housing but worked retail part-time. I stepped out on faith and said I can make this work. My parents paid for my housing and groceries, my boyfriend and sister at the time helped with items that financial aid did not cover. So sometimes you dont have time to prepare you just have to trust your gut an go with it.. good luck and hugs to you on your journey !