Is this insane?Register Today!
- by lace_face Dec 12, '12In the spring, I will be taking 12 hours: A&P II, Micro and Intro to Chem. I am really wanting to pick up a 9 week CNA course on Saturdays as well... I have two kids and I commute an hour to school but I really just want to get all of this out of the way! Am I completely nuts? Would you do it?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=802170©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 857 Views
- Dec 12, '12 by FutureNurseShammyNow I wouldn't call you nuts but............ /:
Sent from my iPhone
- Dec 13, '12 by StephalumpNo, I wouldn't do it, I don't think. I wouldn't trade high grades for speed for fear I'd be rushing toward a NS denial letter.
But of course, everyone is different If you have tons of study time and time management skills out the wazoo it could be done.
- Dec 13, '12 by averyivyjId probably forget about the cna course.
- Dec 13, '12 by greentealoverNow, you know what you're capable of far better than any of us here. Since the A&P, micro, AND chem are all important prereqs needed to get into nursing school, you need to make sure your grades are as high as they can possibly be. Some would not advise to stack all these science prereqs together, but it is possible since I have gone against the school advisors advice on this before. Is there a reason you want to pick up the CNA course now (financial reasons, experience, etc.)?
- Dec 13, '12 by IllmaticYour priority should be getting the highest pre-req grades you can possibly get. Nursing school admission ain't no joke. A couple B's can hinder your chances getting into a program... which can set you back a few months or even a year before you can re-apply. If I were you I would wait till the new semester ends before doing the CNA course. That can wait... unless you REALLY need the finances to support your family.
- Dec 13, '12 by AnoetosIt's not insane. I took as many as 19 hours in a single semester.
But as has been said, only you know what you can handle.
- Dec 13, '12 by zoe92Through personal experience, I really recommend taking your time. You could always do one of those sciences in the summer. But I would never group all of that together.
- Dec 13, '12 by lace_faceThanks for all the thoughtful replies! I think I will put off the CNA course until the end of the semester. I am not worried about taking the sciences together because I am a science nerd. I made As easily in BIO 1&2 for majors and A&P 1. I struggle more with history/govt type classes. That being said, adding the extra CNA course may just be enough to put me over the edge! I don't want to make a poor choice that will effect my applications negatively just because I am impatient about getting medical experience.
Thanks again, everyone!
- Dec 13, '12 by mchel210How are you taking Micro at the same time as Chemistry? My Micro has Chemistry as a prereq. to get into that class. I guess all schools are different...I imagine you just need to be ready to study a lot.