Working nights....tips anyone? - page 2
by gracecase | 5,855 Views | 17 Comments
Hi everyone. I just got a full time nights PCT position in a large hospital's ortho unit. I start in about three weeks. I was wondering if anybody had any tips for me as I have never worked nights.... Read More
- 0Nov 20, '12 by MusicEMTI used to work nights for about 2 years. midnight to 8am as an EMT at a retirement community. Ive noticed black out shades work amazing, as well as ear plugs. ocassionally i would take melatonin. when i first started the graveyard shift i had such a hard time staying awake, but after a couple months your body gets more used to it (although you can never get a 100% used to it). also what ive noticed is if i take an hour or two nap right before work I have an easier time staying awake for the whole night..
hope that helps
- 0Nov 20, '12 by scb7620I always take a nap before my first shift. If you can work them in a row it helps too. When I get home I have a routine and try not to do things like watch TV, etc. that may wake me up. I sleep with a fan for white noise and keep my room dark. Melatonin also helps too! I switch back to a "day" schedule when I'm off so I usually sleep for 4-6 hours when I get home, then go back to bed around 11pm. Some weeks are easier than others, you'll find what works best for you!
- 0Feb 23, '13 by MiikiQuote from erikaroseI have a soft spot for the hospital's breakfast, so I always eat when I get off at 7am, then go home and go to sleep. It usually costs me about a dollar.eat breakfast when you get home because the worst thing is to be SO tired but wake up at noon becuase youre starving!
- 0Feb 24, '13 by besaangel, CNAI work 11:30p-8a on Friday and Saturday, then come back in for 3:30p-12a on Sundays...
What I do is:
- Sleep normally on Thursday night into Friday morning.
- Get up as early as I can without feeling drained which is around 9a
- Go back to sleep around 5p until 10:30p for work
- Get home Saturday morning and sleep until 11a
- Eat lunch/dinner and go back to bed at 4p until 10:30
- Go to bed from 8:30a until 2:45p if Im beat or on a day like today, sleep from 12p-2:45p and go to work
I tend to prepare my lunch and uniforms before I go to sleep so when I get up for work, I get dressed, grab my bags and get out the door by 11p.
What makes it difficult is the inconsistency of the schedule... I work weekends and thats it, so my body never truly gets a chance to adapt to midnights so just be weary of this