Ohio University RN-to-BSN Program - page 203
by chuckster | 326,209 Views | 2205 Comments
Since it seems that there's quite a bit of interest, I'm attempting to start a new thread devoted exclusively to the OU on-line RN-BSN program that will hopefully build on the comments on assorted previous threads. I'd like... Read More
- 2Sep 19, '12 by chucksterQuote from ShadowAngelRNUsing APA formatting software is not "against the rules" or some form of academic dishonesty. I personally don't use them and think that the applications are more trouble than they're worth since you not only have to enter the information but then check the outputit to make sure it really does conform to APA style. Many students use the programs successfully though. Try using one of the free on-line apps such as Citation Machine and see how that goes before you purchase something. The other thing to keep in mind is that using APA formatting gets easier the more you do it (great grasp of the obvious, eh?). I've frankly found the Purdue OWL guide to be more than sufficient and you can't beat the cost. Using it is much easier if you print the whole thing out rather than struggle with toggling back forth between pages on-line.Hi Everyone!
I just started OU's online BSN completion program and am amazed that I made it through the first week. I originally graduated from an AAS nursing program in 1989 and now feel like I've been dropped in a foreign country and can't speak or write the language. I'm taking Nutrition 1000- not bad. The professor gives explict instructions, as well as helpful tips and everything is pretty straight forward. There is quite a bit of information to cover, but it's not awful. The Nursing 4510 class is quite another story... I feel like my head is going to explode. Every time I try to do the readings and assignments/ postings, I feel like a complete idiot. I sit in front of the computer, with that horrible APA manual on my lap- staring alternately at it, the assignment, the TA's instructions (never the same as the instructions in the posted assignment by the way), and the numerous books we're supposed to be reading.Then I start to hyperventilate & shake...Somebody... Anybody... HELP! What is the deal with this APA thing? That APA Manual is riduculous and the volume of information on OWL is overwhelming. My "student success coach" called me once and all she could say was "Oh... Gee...I'm Sorry..." I've asked several friends about APA formatting software. The responses have ranged from "Of course. Get whichever one you want. That's why they exist. Why would you want to struggle so much? It's not about the formatting of the paper. It's about what you write. My school recommends that we use XXX program." -TO- Ushering me into the med room, looking over her shoulder, like the FBI was tailing us: "Noooooooooo. You can't do that. It's against the rules. It's academic misconduct. You'll get expelled. They can telllllllllllllll if you're using one of those." PS- all my friends attend other schools, not OU. Did I mention that I've ended up doing all my postings to the discussion boards 4, 5 or 6 times each? The recommended Mozilla Firefox browser keeps crashing and erasing everything!!!!!!!
I welcome ANY helpful tips that anyone can offer!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks in Advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For your DB postings, I recommend doing them in Word beforehand and simply cut and pasting them into the board. That way, if you have any problems with something like say, a browser, all you need to do is repeat the cut and paste. I also use Word for my DB replies - copy the posting you are replying to into Word, then type out your reply (saving it of course) and post it whenever you like. Remember to include the name of the person whose post it was!
Speaking of browsers, I have never had any issues using Firefox with EPIC and really none with BlackBoard either (an aside: I think BB is a really crappy application - EPIC was much more user friendly and intuitive). Occasionally in BB, the mouse buttons for cutting and pasting don't work and you need to use the old-fashioned keyboard commands (Ctrl C to cut, Ctrl V to paste). I don't think this is Firefox-related and seems to be something in BB.
As you've discovered, the OU classes are very TA dependent. Good TA = good class and vice versa. Some TA's put a lot of clarifying and helpful information out there and are very responsive to Q&A questions. Others (thankfully very few), don't bother with any info and are very slow to respond.
On balance, I'd say the program is decent and I'm relatively happy with it. There seem to be quite a number issues cropping up now that are related to the change from quarters to semesters however and others related to the switch from EPIC to BB. Hopefully, these are teething pains rather than anything structural and will be quickly resolved.
Good luck in the program.
- 0Sep 19, '12 by JustADreamThanks for all of the great information!
I am starting October 1st and I have a few concerns that I was hoping someone here could clarify since their office isn't open yet and I go to work soon:
1. When do transfer credit reports become available? I know DARS is going to be a while, but from the nursing school welcome e-mail, it sounded like I should be able to see some of the classes that transferred over automatically on the separate credit transfer report from my previous degrees. Right now the page is still blank and says no info is available.
2. When do I get an advisor assigned? It sounds like I should have one from the e-mail, but the box for advising online for my login is still blank also.
Scared to pay over $1000 between tuition and books without some of this stuff, ya know?
Thanks in advance!
- 0Sep 19, '12 by RNMom2010It took FOREVER to get my DARS. I applied back in early spring, and just received my DARS around the beginning of the month (Sept). I refused to start any classes until I saw what transferred. They were very generous with transfer credits. Prior to receiving the DARS, all of my transferred classes stated "No rule". I was unable to see what transferred. I am also starting classes Oct 1st. Kinda irritated that I lost a session, but it's not going to make or break anything.
I have had an advisor assigned since I was accepted. Never have used her though.Last edit by RNMom2010 on Sep 19, '12 : Reason: Forgot something...durp
- 0Sep 21, '12 by JustADreamThank you so much for your help RNMom2010! I think I am going to wait to start the program as well because I simply can't afford to take general ed classes at out of state tuition rates if they don't accept my previous credits. The weird thing is that when I tried to drop the class today, I wasn't able to in their system. Apparently I can add whatever I need to, but in order to remove anything someone has to do it on the OU side. I was told to send an e-mail.. hopefully it won't take very long since classes start the following Monday. Thanks again!
- 0Sep 21, '12 by stephparmIT has been the experience of most that they accept just about everything. I wouldnt wait because of no DARS, etc. I did not get my DARS until ONE class before I was done .
Quote from JustADreamThank you so much for your help RNMom2010! I think I am going to wait to start the program as well because I simply can't afford to take general ed classes at out of state tuition rates if they don't accept my previous credits. The weird thing is that when I tried to drop the class today, I wasn't able to in their system. Apparently I can add whatever I need to, but in order to remove anything someone has to do it on the OU side. I was told to send an e-mail.. hopefully it won't take very long since classes start the following Monday. Thanks again!
- 0Sep 22, '12 by EmJeanRNTotal agreement Stephparm. We all had to wait for DARS...and seems that everyone has been happy with the outcome. I would not wait for DARS. That is a waste of precious time! I had a fairly good idea what would transfer. And everything transfered. It really should come as no surprise.
- 0Sep 23, '12 by rninmeI think that all of us that have been through the DARS process can tell you that OU is QUITE generous with transfer credit. Don't put off starting because of no DARS. I agree with the others here - you should have a pretty good idea of what is going to transfer. Check the catalog and look at requirements. Don't get too hung up on Tier 2 and 3 - Tier 2 requirement is a Jr level english class and the Tier 3 requirement if fulfilled by the Nursing Excellence class.