IV count?Register Today!
- by LCinTraining Nov 12, '12Not asking you to do the homework, just asking for help clarifying what they are asking. It has a picture of an almost empty IV bag. The fluid is below the last marked line. It asks us to determine how much fluid is left in the bag. Otherwise "referred to as the IV count". Am I just looking at this and estimating?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=797289©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,331 Views
- Nov 12, '12 by sapphire18Huh? Never heard of that. The only thing I can determine from that info is that it is <100cc. Hopefully someone can help you better than I!
- Nov 12, '12 by loriangel14Is it on a pump? You could check and see how much of the bag was infused. Otherwise you would just be guessing how much is in the bag.You could pour it into a graduated container and measure it if you really needed to know. Odd question.
- Nov 12, '12 by LCinTrainingI thought the question was odd as well. We aren't allowed to use pumps yet. The rationale is that time taping and figuring all of this stuff out manually has to be drilled into our brains just in case something happens at a facility and we lose pump access. I estimated what I thought would be left at 50 mL since that's about how far it was from the last numbered line.
- Nov 13, '12 by loriangel14Well if you lost pump access you could just measure it in a container. I would think most people would figure that out.That's not a very challenging question.
- Nov 13, '12 by LCinTrainingTrue, but as it is with most of these questions, common sense is not an option. Haha.
- Nov 13, '12 by morteThat would req wasting the liquid.Quote from loriangel14Well if you lost pump access you could just measure it in a container. I would think most people would figure that out.That's not a very challenging question.
- Nov 13, '12 by loriangel14Quote from morteWell yeah it would. I assume they were taking the bag down.It really is a silly question.That would req wasting the liquid.
- Nov 13, '12 by morteI am thinking the question was not put well. I think the term should be "left to infuse".
- Nov 13, '12 by charli_appleI want to say that there is always 50ml more in the bag than what the label says there is.